Load DataRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Published load data way off?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by buckshotshoey View Post
    As long as you got fairly consistent readings, I wouldnt blame the chronograph. As said above, it is probably the test barrel used, or the cylinder gap in your revolver, or most likely a combination of the two.

As long as you are getting consistent velocities out of that revolver, it is what it is. I wouldn't worry about it. Have fun.
    That's about what I've decided, Just keep pouring in the powder til I get what I want... or start at max & work up I finally got a load over 800 today (barely) that's supposed to be Max and over 1000, 4.9 gr of universal over a 145 cast SWCHP (GT). Shot some factory & other loads over the chrono and it seems to be reading well.
    Definitely not cylinder gap on this S&W 67 38 sp.. I was shooting. Checked it today at .0015 slight feel, and very tight at .002".

I know published numbers are just guidelines, but never in over a half century reloading, seen such discrepancies. Tried many source loads recommended by shooters of these calibers, Including people here posting their loads.. This is 2 different guns..
    I was just wondering if anyone else is finding that 25-30% under performance..
    Thanks again folks!
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by brayhaven View Post
    That's about what I've decided, Just keep pouring in the powder til I get what I want... or start at max & work up I finally got a load over 800 today (barely) that's supposed to be Max and over 1000, 4.9 gr of universal over a 145 cast SWCHP (GT). Shot some factory & other loads over the chrono and it seems to be reading well.
    Definitely not cylinder gap on this S&W 67 38 sp.. I was shooting. Checked it today at .0015 slight feel, and very tight at .002".

I know published numbers are just guidelines, but never in over a half century reloading, seen such discrepancies. Tried many source loads recommended by shooters of these calibers, Including people here posting their loads.. This is 2 different guns..
    I was just wondering if anyone else is finding that 25-30% under performance..
    Thanks again folks!
    Greg
    I think you are looking at the picture wearing the wrong color eye glasses. Speed shouldn't be the ultimate goal. ACCURACY is the goal. I suppose it depends exactly what you are doing with it.

What powder charge (and boolit choice) groups the best on paper? With my Dads vintage police .38 special, it is in the 800 fps range with a 150 swc. That's all he wants or needs.

I too use Universal. I will post the charge weight when I get home.
    Last edited by buckshotshoey; 08-20-2017 at 06:57 PM.

I checked my books, and we settled at 4.4 gr universal. It was the most accurate load from that revolver with that boolit. Speed isn't always everything. Never chronographed the load, but should be around 750 fps.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by crackers View Post
    I can't usually match Hodgdon's ten inch pistol barrel either.
    I can't even come close to Pearce loads chronographed from his 4.5" revolver ��

Boolit Bub
    I think you are looking at the picture wearing the wrong color eye glasses. Speed shouldn't be the ultimate goal. ACCURACY is the goal. I suppose it depends exactly what you are doing with it.

What powder charge (and boolit choice) groups the best on paper? With my Dads vintage police .38 special, it is in the 800 fps range with a 150 swc. That's all he wants or needs.

I too use Universal. I will post the charge weight when I get home.
    Thanks, I'd appreciate it. I totally agree that punching paper only needs the most accurate. However, I use both these guns as woods carry to shoot wild hogs. And need a certain minimum performance along with that accuracy. Those critters get somewhat irritated with non-lethal attempts to put them down.
    800 is about minimum. The load today would be OK in the 38. Still working on one for the 44 sp. I never cared for the magnums. Look forward to trying yours in it. The 38 is my favorite. And this 67 is my favorite 38.
    I carried a S&W 15 combat masterpiece during my tour as a combat advisor to Vietnamese backwoods troops. It broke my heart to turn it in after my tour. Later when I found they started making a stainless version, I grabbed one. Got talked into selling that one, but imported this one from Germany. It will be in my estate ��
    That gun saved my bacon a couple times over there.
    I'm trying to to work up loads with universal because I have 4 pounds and like the clean burn of it.

I can now see why you want it a little faster. I would feel a little naked hunting hogs with a .38. How fast do you think a fat man can climb a tree? Just watch me! Lol.

Boolit Bub
    I can now see why you want it a little faster. I would feel a little naked hunting hogs with a .38. How fast do you think a fat man can climb a tree? Just watch me! Lol.
    Haha, depends on the reason he's climbing it.
    I don't usually hun them with the 38, but carry it knocking around the woods and have killed quite a few with it.
    That said, it's not the caliber. There's no such thing as a "stopping round". Only stopping shots. As a kid, I hunted hogs for a long time with a Colt Woodsmam, killing 50 or more before folks convinced me that wasn't enough gun. But I got close and shot them behind the ear or beteen the eyes.
    Last year I was scouting for bow season and a bunch of 50-75 pound "barbecuers" crossed the road in front of me. Couldn't believe I hadn't brought a decent size gun. The only thing I could find was a beretta 21, tip up, pocket 22. I slipped around in front of them and as they fed by, dropped one with the old woodsman shot behind the ear. Great grilling for the game that weekend.
    But I'm too old to climb trees now.
    "Use enough gun" Robert Ruark

Haha, depends on the reason he's climbing it.
    I don't usually hun them with the 38, but carry it knocking around the woods and have killed quite a few with it.
    That said, it's not the caliber. There's no such thing as a "stopping round". Only stopping shots. As a kid, I hunted hogs for a long time with a Colt Woodsmam, killing 50 or more before folks convinced me that wasn't enough gun. But I got close and shot them behind the ear or beteen the eyes.
    Last year I was scouting for bow season and a bunch of 50-75 pound "barbecuers" crossed the road in front of me. Couldn't believe I hadn't brought a decent size gun. The only thing I could find was a beretta 21, tip up, pocket 22. I slipped around in front of them and as they fed by, dropped one with the old woodsman shot behind the ear. Great grilling for the game that weekend.
    But I'm too old to climb trees now.
    "Use enough gun" Robert Ruark
    Get a big boar charging ya and I bet you could climb like a squirrel!

Boolit Bub
    Get a big boar charging ya and I bet you could climb like a squirrel!
    You have that right. 2 years ago I shot a boar with a crossbow. Looked to be a good hit, so I didn't re-cock, and trailed him, expecting him to be dead a few yards in. As I followed the blood trail, he rushed at me from my right, just catching my camo pants leg and slicing the fabric. He stopped about 10 yards out, turned & gnashed his tusks and cutters, which is a prelude to a charge. I reached down and cocked the bow and dropped a bolt in, ducked aside from his charge and shot him through the heart with the point almost touching his ribs. This is a 200# bow. No way I could ever cock it ordinarily without the cocking harness. But I found out under the right circumstance, an old fart can cock one by hand. .
    Later followed the original blood trail to see how he got to the spot he tried to nail me from. Found a pool of blood and then where doubled back around to lay in wait. He had heard me coming and went back on the side of the trail.
    Never had one do anything like that. But was talking to the refuge manager later(Lower Suwanee NWR) and he said they had an identical case 2 years prior, that nearly cost a guy his life. The boar had cut the femoral artery and luckily his buddy was there to put a tourniquet on and get him airlifted out.
    Last edited by brayhaven; 08-21-2017 at 01:41 PM.

Test platform is everything. All barrels are diff, all guns are diff, especially true in revolvers. I have 5 diff 4" 357mags, all produce diff vel with identical loads, one a full 125fps diff. than the rest. Bore dimensions, barrel/cyl gap, chamber throat size, smoothness of everything, it all comes into play with pressures & velocities.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    Test platform is everything. All barrels are diff, all guns are diff, especially true in revolvers. I have 5 diff 4" 357mags, all produce diff vel with identical loads, one a full 125fps diff. than the rest. Bore dimensions, barrel/cyl gap, chamber throat size, smoothness of everything, it all comes into play with pressures & velocities.
    Of course you're right, and I've seen that for many decades of reloading. But the max I've seen is about that 10% difference extreme in your 357's. I'm getting 3 times the discrepancy from loads supposedly chrono'd in 4" revolvers. (Mine is 4") Was wondering if everyone understates things for Liability.

Boolit Buddy
    Is it just me, or is the published load data, way outside reality?
    Been working on some 44 sp and 38 loads.. using mfr and other published data, I'm getting 25-30% lower velocities. 200 gr cast hp over 6.6 of universal is supposed to be up over 950. I'm barely getting 700 using a 190 cast hp. Same with unique and bullseye. As bad or worse in the 38 sp. even looking at barrel length. (4" in both) something doesn't seem right. Or are the lawyers pushing the caution buttons for people publishing reloading data..
    Changed batteries in the chrono. Even shot some rifle and factory loads and it seems to be pretty accurate.
    I have a similar issue with PCed 6mm and 308 cast rifle bullets. they run 150 to 350 fps faster than max velocities listed in manuals for jacketed bullets. Chrono seems to check out with if jaceted rounds are used. About decided the PC is just that much slicker.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12