RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: 311041 loads with Lever Evolution powder

Boolit Mold

311041 loads with Lever Evolution powder

I recently purchased a Marlin Xlr 30-30 new because of its 1 in 12 twist, 24 inch barrel.
    Slugged out at .301 and .309.
    Loaded lvr powder behind a Lyman 311041 cast from no.2 water dropped. Checked, alox lubed and sized .311. Weight 175 gr
    32-34 gr lvr is giving 4 inch 3 shot groups at 100 y.
    I've loaded some test rounds with 28 gr and 30 gr to try and tighten the groups.
    Any idea of approximate velocity with 28 and 30 gr loads as I cannot find any load data below 33 gr. with 170 gr loading on the Hodgson site.
    What do you think would be the minimum useful charge using lvr before it would be better to substitute for another powder.
    My aim is to get an accurate, hunting load for pigs.
    Thanks for your help.

Boolit Buddy
    I would firelap and accurize the gun. Things like:

- relieving the barrel channel on the forearm if you can't run a dollar bill between the barrel and the wood

-crowning the barrel with a brass bolt and lapping compound if anything looks funky

-lapping the barrel bands to slightly larger than the barrel

-and firelapping 5 or 10 rounds.

You should be able to get 2 MOA at 2100 fps if everything else is right.

I used 30gr. Under a RD 170 with no problem. IIRC I topped at 32gr with cast. 336 MG shorter barrel. Try 10 shot groups and look for vert. stringing. Try something other than alox.
    Whatever!

You didn't say the type of sights you have on the Marlin. I seldom shoot under 3.5" with iron sights on any of my rifles.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    I used 30gr. Under a RD 170 with no problem. IIRC I topped at 32gr with cast. 336 MG shorter barrel. Try 10 shot groups and look for vert. stringing. Try something other than alox.
    This is where you need to start. Quality lube. White Label BAC, 2500+ and 2700+ will all take you to about 2300 fps in a 1:12 twist barrel.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by gnostic View Post
    You didn't say the type of sights you have on the Marlin. I seldom shoot under 3.5" with iron sights on any of my rifles.
    Sorry Gnostic, Rifle is scoped with leopold 2-7x.
    I tried 28 and 30 gr loads today. 28 gr loads were poor but 30 gr loads are starting to show promise at about 2.5 inch groups.
    Thanks for your help folks. An ongoing project.

Quote Originally Posted by Coachcusack View Post
    Sorry Gnostic, Rifle is scoped with leopold 2-7x.
    I tried 28 and 30 gr loads today. 28 gr loads were poor but 30 gr loads are starting to show promise at about 2.5 inch groups.
    Thanks for your help folks. An ongoing project.
    With a scope you're in a position to know...

Boolit Grand Master

Might read through this thread; http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...oltuion-Powder

Posts 44 to 53 are specific to load development with the 311041.

My finding is LeveRevolution only burns efficiently within a narrow band of pressure, usually near load density for the 30-30 cartridge. In my own 24" M94 with 12" twist that is also the top end of the RPM Threshold. Thus the alloy must be balanced to the velocity generated. Also a lube such as 2500+ or 2700 is essential. I use 2500+ for such.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Might read through this thread; http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...oltuion-Powder

Posts 44 to 53 are specific to load development with the 311041.

My finding is LeveRevolution only burns efficiently within a narrow band of pressure, usually near load density for the 30-30 cartridge. In my own 24" M94 with 12" twist that is also the top end of the RPM Threshold. Thus the alloy must be balanced to the velocity generated. Also a lube such as 2500+ or 2700 is essential. I use 2500+ for such.
    Thanks Larry. Can you recommend any other powders you have successfully used which may be less sensitive to load density for the 30-30?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Coachcusack View Post
    Thanks Larry. Can you recommend any other powders you have successfully used which may be less sensitive to load density for the 30-30?
    H4895 is about the best (27 gr is about max for a 170 - 180 gr cast bullet) but others in that burning range will do well also such as RL7 Up through 4064. Lots of manual loads for those powders.
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 08-20-2017 at 11:50 AM.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

larry what if you powder coat your bullets instead of using lube, what can one expect as it pertains to accuracy
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Marlin 336, 33gr LeverE@ 50 yds, 185gr.GC using Isocore/Cu & HF red PC.
    Attachment 202295
    Whatever!