MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: Simulated ivory grips

Boolit Buddy

Simulated ivory grips

Who makes good simulated ivory grips for new vaquero and bisley. I like the Boone trading company, has anyone tried these. I'm also wondering if bar s is still in business. I like that they would make grips to your specs as well as looking great. Thanks for any advice.

Altmonte makes them for reasonable prices.

Moderator Emeritus

Here's a link: https://www.altamontco.com/pistol-grips/ruger

I have a set of white grips ("simulated ivory") for my .357 Flat Top, and they fit pretty good. I've used some fine sand paper on them to round off some spots very gently, and they feel a tad better after doing so, but that's something I have long done for my SA grips. It's amazing what a little rounding does here and there, and I mean a LITTLE. The grips seem to sit in your hand during recoil a little better and more consistency. I have a set of cocabola colored laminated grips on my .44 Flat Top, and they too have received the fine sanding treatment. It will often take 2-3 weeks for me to get them just exactly like I want them. I sand VERY lightly, and then try it for a few days, before doing any further sanding.

But they're pretty darn good right out of the box, and that's something that can't be said for any of the cheaper grips out there. I was well satisfied with their delivery time, too. No need for any service on them, because I do all that myself. I've heard they make grips for Ruger's use at the factory, or at least some of them. Don't know that, but just pass it on as a 'rumor'.

American holly is a nice substitute for ivory. If you check out the pics in my album you can see the set I put on my favorite Bisley .44
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys. I like the sound of the American holly

You might check here. They seem to have about all types of grips. I used them once and was very satisfied.
    https://eaglegrips.com

Boolit Master

one more vote for American holly wood Attachment 202156 this is my 41 magnum with grips made by http://privatescustomgrips.com/
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

If you are going to enhance a fine weapon, plastic or some polymer just won't do the job...you'll always look at it and have that lil-wish in the back of your mind..."dang it, wish I would have just bit the boolit and bought the real deal". People will always ask..."Is that Ivory?" and, you'll have to reply, "No, plastic." Kinda like letting the air out of a baloon...Imitation is imitation all day long.

Regarding this Colt...it looks OK with the Walrus ivory but when it comes down to shooting, it's slick, fitted Ivory has sharp hard edges, it just isn't as comfortable or practical as a fine set of Stag or bone...or...if you shoot hot loads, frankly I'd rather have a good set of oversize rubber, you can hang on to that much better and shoot more accurately to boot.
    So bottom line boils down to what do you want..."Bling or Shoot-ability?"

Now, these Ram's horn grips on this Colt look pretty good, shoot just fine, it's unusual and I don't have to say..."No they are plastic!"
    I could have had 4 sets maybe 5 sets of horn or maybe 2 sets of stag for what I paid for that Ivory...

This is just me but I consider a weapon a tool and I want my tools to operate better than they look. I'm weird that way.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Is ok, how did you get a picture of my revolver? Next time we shoot you better bring it!

Os ok, darn auto type!

Mammoth ivory is available and has no p/c issues. Mrs. Thumbcocker has a necklace of Mammoth ivory beads I got her and it is pretty stuff. Still like American Holly.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Gtrubicon View Post
    Is ok, how did you get a picture of my revolver? Next time we shoot you better bring it!
    Ya...you know I will. I just love shooting at your range and having you kick my butt...at my own game!
    Ah, well...I'ma old decrepit SOB and if you were a good host...you'd let me win once and a while!

In fact...now that you have a busted shooting arm...let's get it on! Lefty on poser-lefty...hell, I gotta chance now . . .

I think you oughta change your avatar to..."BrokenWing on da Rubicon"
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    Bob Leskovec made a pair of imitation ivory grips for one of my Colt's SAA's which has a raised steer head and is from an impression made from Elmer Keith's .44 Special Colt.

I recommend you check out Bob Leskovec.

Boolit Man
    Another option I really like, Ivory Micarta. That stuff is as hard as can be, its a paper and resin compressed material. But it looks awesome.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ivory micarta.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	202593

I think this stuff looks great and it's tough, they use it on 454 casulls.
    HONOR
    If you need it defined, you don't have it.

Ron Swanson
    Pyramid of Greatness

Vendor Sponsor

DON'T overlook Giraffe bone! Giraffe cracks because the animal grows so fast but the cracks look quite like those found in antique ivory. Since it cracks, it must be stabilized which involves putting it in a pressure cooker type pot, with some poly that fills in the cracks, and they color the poly so you have this really cool look to the grips anywhere from a creamy colored antiqued ivory to the bizarre earth tones found in fossil mammoth tusk and everything in between.

You can get it to look so much like real ivory it ain't funny, if that's what you want. I would pick out some nice colors and cracks to enhance my sixgun.

This SHOULD be a google search for images of "Giraffe Bone Grips" https://www.google.com/search?q=gira...w=1393&bih=703
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Moderator Emeritus

Lots of good comments here, especially OS OK's. And he's right. If you really WANT ivory, nothing in this world - no substitution or look alike - will EVER really make you happy. And didja' know that the REASON so many sword hilts were of ivory is because it's one substance that even when covered in blood, when you tighten your grip on it, it'll still hold and be resistant to slippage. Any and all synthetics will slip like they're covered in oil or grease when your hand gets sweaty, wet or bloody. And when a SA grip gets too slippery, it almost always raises your POI, and requires you to change your hold. But ivory IS very hard to get nowadays, too. So .... if you want ivory, and really want it, you're gonna' have to commit to it for a long haul, and likely as not, probably send your grip frame to the grip maker so it can be fitted perfectly to it. If the grips don't fit just right, the movement in recoil will eventually cause them to split. So it's VERY important that you get someone who's worked with ivory, and knows its peculiarities, if you want long term satisfaction. And FWIW, it looks to me like if you want any ivory, you'd better get what you can of it now, because I believe (don't know, but believe) it's going to get even more scarce with time. But for those who DO get ivory, I think they'll realize a BIG appreciation in their purchase price as ivory gets more and more rare and unavailable. And, its unique properties make it THE most desirable grip material in the world, IMO.

And no, I don't have any ivory myself, but some years back, DID get my son a custom knife for his 21st birthday that has elephant ivory scales on it. It's really beautiful, and he values it so highly that he's never taken it out and actually used it, despite my prodding him to do so. That knife, and any other implement with ivory appointments, will always be "special," and a thing of great beauty, at least to my eye and apparently, many others as well. It's the kind of thing that, once you have it, you can't imagine ever having NOT had it! Likely as not, Walrus ivory or mastodon ivory will be all you're likely to find these days, but there's nothing wrong with either of those. And as a didja' know, did you know most of those old African PH's had the beads of their expensive custom bolt actions and doubles made with the specification that the front beads be made of wart hog ivory, because it allegedly doesn't yellow over time like elephant ivory tends to do from contact with oils and skin? Somebody correct me if this is wrong, but I've been told this a number of times by folks who ought to be "in the know" about these matters.

Grips are the easiest and probably best way to "personalize" a personal handgun, and maybe single actions in particular. I'll always want ivory, but whether I'll ever get any ..... well, let's just wait and see. I have a knifemaker buddy (guild member) who does amazing work, and he's used a significant amount of ivory, and he's taught me a lot about it - enough to know that it's NOT like working wood grips. So if you do happen to go for ivory, don't go the "Wal Mart" route. Go for the best and most experienced maker you can find. I think it's money VERY well spent. With specialized products, you need specialized bodies of knowledge that only those who've actually worked the material are likely to know. So just a head's up on the ivory thing. Wonderful stuff, but ONLY if it fits and will last. Can you even imagine a set of "custom" ivory grips coming apart in your hands from being poorly fitted? Hope this helps a little???

Real Ivory has recently been banned by the US Gov't - no selling, buying, trading or making ivory artifacts (like handgun grips) unless the person possessing some has legal/written proof that the Ivory (separate from the age of the gun the Ivory is mounted on) is over 100 years old - difficult to do, since most Ivory grips were made prior to the ban.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

I think many of the prohibitions about trading ivory have to do with selling across state lines, i.e., interstate commerce. If the seller resides in the same state as you, I believe buying ivory grips is easier.