RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Interesting tool

Interesting tool

I get a woodworking newsletter and on it today they had a "What is it" tool.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	whatisit-1.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	202055

When you think you have it figured out click on here for the full description.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/newslett...0/whatisit.htm

On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Master
    Man, I wish I could file like that.

Boolit Master

Looks like a homemade round ball cherry for making a round ball mold. But I am guessing without being able to look at the tool itself and what steel is used. james

Boolit Master

Very interesting read. It is crude by today's CNC standards, but who ever made one of those cherries was a true craftsman of the day. I am not no where, any where that good, but I do enjoy working with my hands. Thanks for posting this.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

In Remembrance

Well, there goes my guess of it being a powered nose hair removal tool!Robert

Robert: that's what I thought too!

On another note: the text says no CNC or 3D printer could make that part, and I have to call BS to that assertion.

They are being made by CNC Tool Grinding machines every day, and in every shape known to man. Not only that but they could be made in .001 increments to the original. In fact they could be made to EXACTLY duplicate the original in the picture including all Rust Pits and everything or in the original form as well before the rust pits.

There is very little that was done that can't be done as well or better now. That doesn't mean that we should discount the Old Ways as they can be useful, and if we get EMP'd we will probably need a lot of them to survive our instantaneous reintroduction to life in the 19th Century!

IF you think of the Library at Alexandria,, If it had not been burned by idiots trying to erase the past, we would probably be enjoying interstellar space travel now, instead of searching for a cure for cancer, which they probably had 3000 years ago.

Once again we are seeing fools trying to erase history in Virginia and NC by removing statues of Lee. And this happens everytime a new power takes over. They always seem to want to rewrite History so they don't look as bad.

They are all fools and we have plenty of them right here in the US ! Resist!!!! the idiots!!!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master
    Dental tool. I figured it was too easy to be a cherry. laughs on me.

Boolit Master
    Nifty, I figured it had something to do with removing material around that round shape . Not a machinist/wood worker at all here obviously!
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master
    Not a cherry; nowhere near enough chip clearance.

Come on Randy, jump to the most obvious conclusion. It's just a round burr. Indented flat could have been for a setscrew that kept it from backing out of the holder.

Might have been used in the old hand crank egg beater type drill.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master
    From the shank of the tool it appears to made to use in a hand brace type of carpenters drill.

Boolit Master

very, very cool.

Boolit Master
    The old ways still work. Can you believe 19 minutes to checker a stock?

EDG

In Remembrance
    If it can't be made with cnc or similar, how come we have them from teensy to whatever size a guy wants for dremels and die grinders. I would think some of mine are so small it would be close to impossible for a very good blacksmith to make, and if he could it would be cost prohibitive.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't know about their claims, but I love that company. I've been buying from them for over 30 years and have never gotten any adds but a catalog - no e-mail junk or endless mailings. I'll still buy from them when they have something I need.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post

I don’t think that was her first time.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Buddy
    I remember back in the summer of 1863, the old blacksmith had one................

Boolit Master
    When they say it can't be replaced by printers and machines they are talking about the skill it took to make that item in it's original day, in a shop that most likely didn't have electricity, much less computer equipment... I've owned old guns made by old gunsmiths, and I've owned new guns made by machines. Yeah the machines can make a gun, that don't mean it compares with what an old knowledgeable gunsmith was able to do. Same thing with knives made by smiths in a forge IMHO.

I've got a pair of brown, not quite rusty, old IRON pliers that are probably older than my great grandfather's first diaper. You couldn't replace them with a metric ton of "new and improved machine made" whatever... Not with me anyway...

God Bless

Richard
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Boolit Grand Master

Toby Bridges at Dixie use to turn out cherries like that in no time. As to not enough chip clearance depends on how often you clean it. If it is a dental burr it will still make a cherry for casting shot! I think Iposted a couple years ago about my 1" square mould for casting #6 shot.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post

When I checkered my 788 I had just over 100 hrs.
    in the layout and checkering alone. That gal is incredible.