Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load DataSnyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: 22 Lovell variations

I'd rule out the chamber insert immediately.

.222R would be practical. The Krag extractor isn't very amenable to rimless cases.

Lovell cases aren't necessarily all that expensive. I just bought 65 cases for about $1.00 each, including taxes, fees. and shipping from a Gunbroker auction. Old converted .25-20, mixed headstamps.
    Cognitive Dissident

Krag should handle 222R no problem
    I have no first- or second- hand experience with using a chamber sleeve, but I suppose it might work. Any gunsmith or machinist should be able to make one. I've never heard of a commercially-available one, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try one. Perhaps others have experience in this area.
    You can make your own brass from .223/5.56mm as described earlier in this thread.
    NRA Benefactor +, GOA Life, GONH Life, CRPA Life, SAF Life

Boolit Master
    I'll side with Phil on this one (and every one!). I think the idea of a chamber insert for such a high pressure round is iffy.

Making brass out of .223 cases is a bit of an ordeal initially, but once you get it down it isn't so bad.

@JKH - did we ever connect via email? I would have offered you some brass.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    Hey Phil,

We did connect, I picked up 22 cases from you and that's what I am currently working with.

Its a sweet old rifle, I just can't seem to get into investing so much to shoot it infrequently, I had a .25 Krag full length years ago built with a huge 30" Winchester High Wall barrel, that was far more practical to feed!

I'll sit on it a while longer, if I can get a deal on brass like you recently did it may change my outlook altogether.

Boolit Buddy
    Hey all, back again.

I was at an antique mall we frequent today and scored 19 WRA 25-20 SS cases for the princely sum of $4.00, I would like to convert these to 2R Lovell for my Krag but do not have dies (still mulling whether I'm keeping the rifle or not). These cases appear to have been resized many years ago in a 25-20 die so I just need to neck them down, what I have available are .222, and .22PPC dies (including a Lee collet die set for the PPC), of course I will anneal the cases before I wet tumble them, after that do you think starting with .222 seating dies sans stem, then going to the .222 sizing die will work? I measured the cases compared to the 2R I have shot in my Krag and they will chamber outside of not being necked to .22 caliber. I have reformed a lot of other cases but certainly don't want to ruin scarce brass if I can avoid it!

Thanks

Jeff

I bought a batch of 2R cases a few months ago with the idea in mind to convert them back to .25-20, since the demand for those is greater than for the Lovell. If you can stand the price of a flatrate box I'll swap ya 20 for your 17.

I don't think the 2R is long enough to size down with a .222 die. .22 PPC ought to get you close.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    Hey Phil,

That would work much better and give us each what we need without risking cases, can you full length size them?
    I actually have 19. For the small number of cases we can just use a smallish padded envelope if that's okay, do you still have my email and mailing address?

The other 2R cases I got from you I was able to neck size with the .222 die, ample adjustment to size to the neck/shoulder junction. I need to work out sizing with the Lee collet die next, they definitely cause a lot less stress on cases.

Remind me of address and email

Yes I can run 'em thru a FL sizer.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    Email sent earlier.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678