RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: New door for my Toyota Tundra??:(

Boolit Grand Master

Thumbs down New door for my Toyota Tundra??:(

Have a 2004 with 134K on it. Door was making a strange squeeking noise the other day when I opened/closed it. First thought it needed some lube on the hinges and the part that restricts it opening too far, but had lubed it not that long ago.

Closed it and heard a loudish " popping" sound and looked at the part that restricts the opening and the whole thing had broken off inside the door. It was still bolted to a chunk of the door about 1" x 3" and the door had two longitudinal cracks, about 2" long, radiating out towards the outer part of the door at about the 2 and 4 o'clock posiitons!!!

Don't know if I can get to that part of the door after removing the inside panel, but maybe I can construct a "patch" and use some self tapping metal screws and epoxy to hold the patch or need to find another door.. Been a good truck (except for the new tranny at 78K) and plan on keeping it for a long time.

Banned

junkyard or check your local body shop, they deal with broken and bent stuff everyday and have good connections for parts.
    might as well check the other door too.

Boolit Master
    Most/many junkyards are networked these days, and can quickly source parts. You can also source used parts online with a little searching - there are websites where you enter the details of what part(s) you need, and list your contact info. I found a like-new outside mirror for my 2004 Volvo this way a couple of years ago.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    Have a 2004 with 134K on it. Door was making a strange squeeking noise the other day when I opened/closed it. First thought it needed some lube on the hinges and the part that restricts it opening too far, but had lubed it not that long ago.

Closed it and heard a loudish " popping" sound and looked at the part that restricts the opening and the whole thing had broken off inside the door. It was still bolted to a chunk of the door about 1" x 3" and the door had two longitudinal cracks, about 2" long, radiating out towards the outer part of the door at about the 2 and 4 o'clock posiitons!!!

Don't know if I can get to that part of the door after removing the inside panel, but maybe I can construct a "patch" and use some self tapping metal screws and epoxy to hold the patch or need to find another door.. Been a good truck (except for the new tranny at 78K) and plan on keeping it for a long time.
    Needed a new tranny at 78K and now a door? That wouldnt exactly qualify as a good truck. And I am a Toyota fan.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Grand Master
    OK, good except for those things. Toyota was worthless when it came to helping out with the tranny as I "hadn't had the trans serviced at the Toyota dealer". I had it serviced (filter/fluid changed 35K and 65K,which the dealer didn't do anyhow, only hook it up to a machine to flush the system)at the tranny shop where the Toyota dealer had trannys rebuilt when a vehicleneeded one rebuilt!!

Banned
    Depending on how involved you want the fix to be, it's not a difficult repair.

The simplest solution would just be a strap to limit the door travel (like the nylon ones used on Jeep doors).

A patch could be fabricated but it will almost certainly involve removing the door and all of the interior trim. I would place the patch on the inside section of the door and overlap the existing hole so that I wouldn't have to rely on the strength of the fasteners to hold the patch in place when the door is opened to its max limit.

You could simply replace the entire door and paint it to match (or not paint if you don't care).

You could cut the same section out of a donor door and butt weld it to the jam on the old door. That would be the most involved and at that point I would probably just swap out the entire door and call it a day.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 08-17-2017 at 06:47 PM.

Boolit Master

OK, good except for those things. Toyota was worthless when it came to helping out with the tranny as I "hadn't had the trans serviced at the Toyota dealer". I had it serviced (filter/fluid changed 35K and 65K,which the dealer didn't do anyhow, only hook it up to a machine to flush the system)at the tranny shop where the Toyota dealer had trannys rebuilt when a vehicleneeded one rebuilt!!
    Not having work done will not void a warranty ! Many places say it will but as long as service was performed the manufacturer has to honor the warranty .
    As for the other issue you could try welding a patch but I doubt it would last, I would just pop the pin out of the sill side and toss the door stop and broken sheet metal in the bed till you get around to finding another door. The door will not stay open and may open TO FAR AND HIT THE FENDER!
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Banned
    If you are going to keep it replace the door if you don't plan on keeping it just patch/weld the door and let it go.

Boolit Grand Master
    Plan on keeping it till the wheels fall off (knock on wood!!). Have a line on a door, so will see what happens

I can certainly sympathize with you about these unreliable Toyotas. I have an '03 Tacoma, and in one hundred thousand miles I have had to replace the oil and oil filter a few times, the air filter (twice I think), and the battery twice. One of these days I may even have to replace the spark plugs. I've pulled the wheels and looked at the brakes from time to time, but they still look good.

Boolit Master
    Just FYI when I checked about my civic there were stories that the power flush dealers were performing on transmissions is what caused the earlier failure. I use the drain and refill every 20k on mine and no issues over the last 100k miles.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Banned
    I just waited until the bone yard had a door the same color as mine.

Boolit Grand Master

Did you get the frame checked for rust with the recall? My 04 was fone but another guy i know got a whole new frame. 90k or so on tundra before my daughter totaled it woth just oil changes.

As for the tranny, i agree with above comment. Like oil changes as long as you keep tje reciepts showing ot was done having someone else do the work will not void the warremty.

I also just got a letter about a class action settllement for the airbag. You get that?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master
    Nope, nothing on the class action settlement.

I have heard those power flushes of a transmission, with some miles on it, loosens up stuff in the system and gets stuck in the valving, ruining it.
    Disintigrating thrust bearing in the torque converter is what took out the transmission

Moderator Emeritus

I would strip the door down, weld it up and add reinforcing and keep on driving it.

Boolit Master
    I have worked in a body shop for over 30 years. Most shops just replace with new parts. The smaller shops and shops that do use car lot stuff still do body work and repair. U would be amazed at what I use to repair for used car lots. They where to cheep to buy parts. That door would be a easy mig wield job to fix. Also small shops that do restorations also might do it. That door should be easy to find at a junk yard also