Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: USA made boots and footwear???

Boolit Master
    Thorogood is made in USA. That's what I've been wearing.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 375RUGER View Post
    Thorogood is made in USA. That's what I've been wearing.
    Best work boots out there. I was a Danner and Redwing wearer until I discovered Thorogood boots.

Boolit Master
    I have two pairs of Danner boots.Fort Lewis boots made in the USA and another pair of work boots that were made in China.I wasn't too pleased with either pair of boots.I currently wear Army surplus boots that are authorized for Army flight crew and armored vehicle crewman use.They're made in the USA and I wish they had been available when I was in the Army.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    I wear nothing but Red Wings. Made in the USA.
    Redwing Irish Setters are the most comfortable boot I've ever worn.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hodges View Post
    I wear RedWings, when not wearing rubber boots.....but they are not 100% USA made....it seems that some sole materials have to be made overseas....you see there are nasty chemicals used and they can't be used in the States. The boots are assembled here but some parts are imported. It does make it difficult to buy American when they outlaw the manufacturing processes and materials in this country.
    I am not an air quality expert but I have been to China a few times. Once you see smog and smoke stacks dumping junk into the air like you see in China, you will want to buy American. When you go a few weeks without seeing a hint of blue sky or a sunrise or sunset due to air pollution you try not to ever buy anything from China again.

For hunting and away from work, I have two pair of Danner's stitch down US made boots. Very happy with the warranty when I have needed to use it. Going on six trouble free years with insulated 8" hunting boot and the other light weight hiker is less than a year old.

Justin boots makes a US made line too. They are very comfortable for being on your feet all day. I wear a pair of lacers at work.
    The road less traveled ain't for the faint of heart

Boolit Grand Master

Bates makes over 40 types in The USA

Keen also has a line of workboots and hikers made here. You can tell immediately because they all have an American Flag tag sewn on them. I have a pair now and both my wife and I are dedicated Keen fans. Their hiking boots are the most comfortable thing you will ever put on but be warned, their company politics suck.

Buffalo (Whites) are still made here in WA but are kind of pricey. They are also some of the best boots you will ever buy.

McRae Industries which owns the Dan Post, Laredo, Dingo etc brands has a factory in Mount Gilead, NC. I've been there delivering and they still make some styles for our Military and I think civilian industrial types but others under their brand are made who knows where.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    I recently Purchased a Pair of Red wings. They are also made in China
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    you have to watch red wings too, they arent all made in the US anymore.
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Master
    I recently tried to purchase a pair of US made work shoes. I decided on Thorogoods based on all US made and good reviews. Nobody local sold them so ordered them from Boot Pros website. I have wide feet so ordered the extra wide size. When they showed up, they were marked extra wide but they were way too narrow, like they were miss marked extra narrows. I couldn't even get them on. No problem, I thought, I liked the shoes so I will just exchange them. The first problem I ran into was that I had to call, not email, during their business hours to arrange the exchange. This didn't work with my work schedule, so I had to have my wife do it on her day off. We sent the shoes back and didn't hear anything for a couple weeks. I finally called to see when I would get my replacement and the guy says he didn't know, he would have to check with accounting for approval. What the heck?? Three weeks after I sent the shoes back they refunded my credit card. No call or email saying they were not sending the shoes, but at least I got my money back minus a shipping/ handling fee. Frustrated, I bought a pair of foreign made Georgia boots and so far am happy with them.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    My first reply was going to be RedWing - but evidently some of their items are not make here?

I don't have much choice anymore as I am limited to one shoe that fit with my leg braces now so don't have any option.

This thread brings up a question though that I'm curious about . . . .

Where are the boots made that our military wear? Are they U.S. made or are even those contracted out to China?

Banned

Chippewa make boots here with some imported materials
    That is the brand I favor

Boolit Master
    I used to wear Red Wings, switched to Chippewa. The few import boots I've bought put me back on US made. To be fair most of the import market is geared to Cheap and I've never had a cheap boot that felt good or lasted.

The stitching on the current Chippewas is failing from fire ash encountered during cleanup and a new pair is waiting but the old ones feel soooo good.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    I used to wear Red Wings, switched to Chippewa. The few import boots I've bought put me back on US made. To be fair most of the import market is geared to Cheap and I've never had a cheap boot that felt good or lasted.

The stitching on the current Chippewas is failing from fire ash encountered during cleanup and a new pair is waiting but the old ones feel soooo good.
    Yes, nothing like an old boot, especially a Chippewa

Crary in Portland OR makes custom footwear. And you thought Wesco and Whites were expensive.

I do like Red Wing moldable insoles. They add another $25.00 to the cost of boots, but are well worth it.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Bates makes over 40 types in The USA

Keen also has a line of workboots and hikers made here. You can tell immediately because they all have an American Flag tag sewn on them. I have a pair now and both my wife and I are dedicated Keen fans. Their hiking boots are the most comfortable thing you will ever put on but be warned, their company politics suck.

Buffalo (Whites) are still made here in WA but are kind of pricey. They are also some of the best boots you will ever buy.

McRae Industries which owns the Dan Post, Laredo, Dingo etc brands has a factory in Mount Gilead, NC. I've been there delivering and they still make some styles for our Military and I think civilian industrial types but others under their brand are made who knows where.
    I was recently told that White's are now made in China, and not as good of quality.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    Yes, nothing like an old boot, especially a Chippewa
    I have been satisfied with Chippewa boots.

Too bad the pollution stays in China if the US environmental regulations are at issue.

Banned
    To All,

SAN ANTONIO SHOEMAKERS have made all their numerous sorts of footwear here in The Alamo City for decades. Phone: 1-877-727-7463.

SAS makes some of the most comfortable boots/shoes (by hand) that I've ever owned.
    (While SAS is likely "best known" for diabetic shoes, their "regular footwear" is made with great care & GREAT for wearing for long days afield.)

yours, tex

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I was recently told that White's are now made in China, and not as good of quality.
    White, Nick's and Hawthorn are close custom and semi-custom boot makers with the same craftsmen having worked in one place and then another. They mostly make boot models for lumber, wildland firefighter, and lineman workers. Almost all are rebuildable.

I don't have any information about White's moving to China. I can't imagine they could do it as a custom maker. They offer or used to offer "made to your foot" boots BUT, all kinds of things change in this world that I can't imagine! I would hate to hear they sold out.
    Chill Wills

Moderator Emeritus

The last pair of work/hiking Boots I bought, was at the local farm store. Rhino brand, made in Guatemala. They were the traditional wedge style that made Red Wing famous. They are all Leather and fit comfortably when new ...2 years later they are still comfortable, But now that I'm retired I probably only wear boots a couple times a week. I'm not sure how they'd hold up to daily heavy use/abuse? But they were less than $50 during a 20% off sale.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Not having a manufacturer in the US that can build to spec is a major hurdle for me. First problem is I have a narrow foot, as in A width. Off the shelf boots are made for regular to wide feet. All the brands neglect the narrow foot segment of the market. I realize it's a small market but it's still there.

Second issue is waterproofing. I absolutely need water proof boots. GoreTex is preferable but I've had good luck w/ other types of it. As soon as you go to water proof the boots I could get in narrow width aren't available any longer.

And to really compound things I need a composite toe. Steel toes get to cold during the winter months. I've had my toes go numb to many times to ever use steel toes again. And as soon as I get into composite toes all narrow width options are gone.

I realize this isn't a problem for most. If you have a normal width foot you can buy any flavor you want. The classic Red Wing style is one of the few available in narrow widths. But no safety toe or waterproofing are a deal breaker. Thankfully there are a lot of hiker style safety toe boots on the market. So when the site ask if mine have a safety toe I simply say yes even though they don't. Hate to lie but I'm on my feet all day and I'm not going to wear uncomfortable boots.

It looks like Red Wing has a hiker style boot that's made in the US and available in narrow widths. But if I remember right they weigh a lot, another pet peeve of mine, and they don't last that long. For the premium you pay they better last a few years. Otherwise it makes more sense to buy a cheaper pair and replace when they fail. I will end my rant now. This particular topic has been driving me nuts since I entered the work force full time twenty years ago.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast