RepackboxLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: New to me 1983 mfg 1894CS .357

Boolit Mold

New to me 1983 mfg 1894CS .357

Well,

Today started out pretty good. I decided since my two oldest daughters were going to school (started Monday) I would take my 2.5 year old up the mountain to Cloudcroft, NM to fish at a little trout pay pond and catch a few rainbows for dinner. I started the trip by stopping by some public land and shooting a few mags of hand-loaded .45 ACP (loaded with my Lee Handloader no less!) on the way up the mountain. I got to shoot 4 mags, and Liberty got to play the iPad so we were both happy. Fast forward 4 hours, 5 trout, 1 bag of local organic produce, and a tired and asleep child in the back seat I decided to swing by the little LGS passing thru on my way back down. The owner asked me what I was looking for and I told him a .357 lever but I wanted a Marlin or Winchester because my plan was going to add a suppressor later so I wanted a gate loader. He said come look here....he had 6 guns layed up against the wall, not on the shelf...He said there are my personal guns I am taking to the Gun show this weekend to sell.....and I ended up with the Marlin for a fair price. He is the original owner, he bought it in Ft. Wayne Indian way back in 1983 and has been with him ever since. He recommenced the Rossi over the Marlin but I wasn't having that. He said he shot an elk with it last winter and it did great. I told him "Good for you, I'll take the Marlin instead.." So I ran to the ATM and paid cash and the little beauty is in my closet as we speak. Man, is it hard to find an 1894 in .357. I found a .357 All Weather Henry for my buddy who'd been looking for one for 3 months. He picked it up last week. He has hogs to put to the ground in Texas with that! I am including a terrible pic, but I was excited and had to show some one so here it is! My Colt SAA now has a friend....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	marlin_a.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	202046

Congratulations I love vintage marlins! You'll be happy with this one.
    Proud to serve, U.S. Army Infantry

Boolit Master
    Very Nice-- and you are absolutely right-- it is hard to find these in 357 Magnum. That's why I bought mine from Henry. The Henry is great too, but I think you made a great deal.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Man
    I just recently acquired a Remlin 1894 in 357 mag. I am extremely pleased with it. I have already put at least 500 rounds through it. I also acquired a pre Remlin 1894 and I like it as well but the 357 so far is my favourite.

You'll be very pleased with your purchase.

Boolit Master
    Ardie -

Howdy !

Say.. was the .357Mag 1894 originally bought new... or pre-owned ?

I traded-in my 1894SC .357Mag back in Ft. Wayne, around that time.

Great gun, just ended-up not being a good fit for my needs.

With regards,
    357Mag

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    When did marlin start putting the safety on the lever rifles ?

I'm sure you will like yours try heavy 185 grain , and fat .360" bullets and it will amaze you .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    I wish I had never sold mine. My brother has my dad's Marlin, and won't give it up. So, I'm on the hunt again! I'll find one, just gonna take a few. You made a heck of a deal.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Grand Master

Marlin started safeties in 1983

Boolit Mold
    This is a 1983 year... I fed it 120 rounds of 158gr SWCs today. I forgot to roll crimp the rounds with the lee hand loader so I ended up hand feeding it but with only 3.2 grain of 231 it was super soft shooting. I also fed the Colt SAA and S&W 642 the same diet.... what a good shooter. My thumb will have to get used to the gate loader but man! What a handy gun. 357Mag this gun was bought new.... thanks for the encouragement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I've also got an early 80s 1894 in 357. It's probably my most fun gun to shoot. I can go through a hundred 38 specials loaded with the Lee 158 RF in a blink of an eye. I've run everything from round ball loads to the RCBS 35-200-rf and that little carbine always brings a smile to my face. Enjoy your new rifle.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Banned
    Of all of my rifles my 1894CS is my favorite. No matter what I am taking to the range, be it my black powder guns or my 22's or my shotguns for a trap session my Marlin always goes with me.

From a 180 gr WFN, .360" over a max load of 2400 down to a Lee 125 gr over a light load of W231, this rifle shoots it all very, very well.

It is a shame that not every gun owner can have one. If Marlin could get it's stuff together and start building a good rifle again......

But I am daydreaming.

Boolit Master
    I have a Henry in both .357 and .41, and love them. I'd love to add the same in a Marlin if they'd get their act together and the price was decent.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Thanks Doc .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

What's not to like?? That little Marlin .357 is handier than a pocket on a shirt. JW

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stanley View Post
    Thanks Doc .

Jack
    I may not know much, but I did know that.

Nice rifle and good shooting guys

Boolit Mold
    Well Another 50 rounds through her today and that brings it up to about 200 since I bough it Last Monday. The 5.2 grains of 231 over a 158 SWC sure make a light load and no recoil. Now I just need to decide how I'm going to thread the barrel for a can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk