RepackboxWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Making Italian sausage in real time !

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    Ok got home from work (finally) and got the stuffer out and set up . Been soaking the casings all day in the ice box , rinsed em out an good ta go .

Put the Regular hot Italian in the stuffer first .

Be back di recktly , time to link it up !
    No turning back , No turning back !

Well heck several pictures didn't come out ! Was trying to get er done . Got it stuffed and linked , My sausage buddy wasn't here and first time to crank and work the sausage off . Links are not a pretty as usual but not bad .

Pricked em . And zip locked bagged em till tomorrow when I vacuum em and freeze .

Got one of each in the oven ...be back in a while !

They are cooked and I tried both .

The Hot Italian sausage was fine ..tasted good , I might use a little more seasoning next time but was very satisfied with it .
    The onion and jalapeno was even better (in my opinion) , new flavor for me , I think the added onion and jalapeno worked out nice . Lot more 'flavor' . Was no hotter than the regular but you could taste the jalapeno and onion ...stepped it up a lot .

Will defiantly do both again , might add a tiny bit of ground red pepper to the jalapeno sausage to step it up a bit more .
    You might make a couple of pounds of it next time you make Italian to try it .

Thank you for looking !

Boolit Master
    man those look delicious, thanks for sharing and the write up.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Derek I'll vouch for the Legg's...good seasoning . Would have been even better with a bit more seasoning . I just eyeballed amount by recommendation on the package . I like a lot of flavor . The jalapeno/onion was even better . I thought it might be a dud but did well , of course you may think different but worth a try .

Moderator Emeritus

I took the recommended amount and divided it out then I weighed enough for 1 pound and poured it into measuring spoons until I found one that was close. I do have an advantage in a small scale I use to weigh hops and beer water minerals with in the kitchen.

Boolit Master
    Looks like 1 pack makes 25lbs of sausage? I'm usually a fan of more heavily seasoned items so I'll probably split it in half and make 2 10lb batches. I dig adding the jalapeno and onion, my favorite fresh sausage from the store is pork with cheddar and jalapeno added. Yall make me hungry everytime I visit this side of the forum. Will have to watch the ads and catch some pork butt on sale to give this a try. Still got my pickled eggs ageing waiting for me.

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master

This is a good source for AC Legg products http://www.sausagemakersupplies.com/
    I have found that if you are going to make a smaller than twenty five pound batch, you will want to carefully weight the seasoning after you remix the spice packet ( the spices will separate from the salt/sugar carrier). The spices are formulated for a specific weight of product and if you can find some friends to split a 25 pound batch you will get your best results.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master

Oat meal just is not going to cut it for breakfast today after seeing the pics of your sausage.

I thank everyone for the comments . I had some others cheering me on while I was making the sausage . A team of sausage experts watching my every move , really hoping for success .

Boolit Master
    Looks like my kitchen helpers. Hoping you'll fumble something! He he

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Michel View Post
    This is a good source for AC Legg products http://www.sausagemakersupplies.com/
    I have found that if you are going to make a smaller than twenty five pound batch, you will want to carefully weight the seasoning after you remix the spice packet ( the spices will separate from the salt/sugar carrier). The spices are formulated for a specific weight of product and if you can find some friends to split a 25 pound batch you will get your best results.
    Hmm thats a good point about the distrubition of seasonings inside the packet. I think I'll just go whole hog and make 25lbs properly rather than try to separate it. Looks like my cabelas points will be going towards a proper grinder for my meat instead of more primers .

Boaz, that's how my kitchen looks every time I'm in there too . 2 little floor cleaners that keep the meat from hitting the ground. I call it recycling and better than it just going in the trash.

Thanks Yall!

lol , my team is up for any new cooking experiment/adventure . Couldn't make it without them , Ariel is on the far right . Her ears usually flop over...she is on full point with em up ! These guys are dedicated to good cooking and they love Mex Tex !

Boolit Master

All this talk of sausage making got me off my duff, I've been putting this off for about a month.Attachment 202266. New recipe, in between Sweet Italian and Hot Italian. Very good in my opinion, the 25 pounds won't last long.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Looks great Jeff ! Wish I could try it ...but I already know I'd like it !

Boolit Master
    Will you guys just stop! Just stop it! ( Just kidding- wish I was there to be chief taste tester!!! )

I love good sausage... with kraut too!

Moderator Emeritus

Charlie, I have heard you say: "I would eat a piece of chocolate cake with a jalapeno pepper!" Where is the chocolate cake?
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

lol , I might try to make one pretty soon Paul !

Banned

I get all my sausage making supplys here..http://www.askthemeatman.com/weekly_special.htm

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast