Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Making Italian sausage in real time !

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar

Making Italian sausage in real time !

Ok I Found some pretty good looking pork in the grocery store bargain bin on the way home . Boneless country ribs , end cut pork chops . My side by side refrigerator went out bout 3 months ago , lost all my sausage , buckboard bacon ..... Lot of meat .
    Time to 'stock up' again ! Gonna make Hot Italian sausage . Have heard and been told Legg's Italian is real good .

Snagged some Legg's seasoning cheap on evil bay so we shall see . I'm also going to make Hot Italian with jalapeno and onion ..Kind of a Mex Tex experiment ? Here's what we got ...

I'm gonna get the meat boned and read to grind and cut up the jalipinos / onions . Be back pretty quick ! (hopefully )
    No turning back , No turning back !

Dang it ! Just had a thought ! Italian Texas sausage ? ..........Well we shall see !

Super Moderator Emeritus
    And I have not had anything to eat Charlie that sounds great. Who can go wrong when onion and jalapeņos peppers .

You dang Right brother !

Ok ..done !

After boning and trimming the meat weighs in at 6 pounds 2 ounces ..bout what I figured judging by the weight on the packages . Now if I'm going to drag everything out to make sausage I usually make 10 pounds . But never used this seasoning and wanted to experiment . I'll do two batches . One regular Italian and one with the jalapenos and onions ...2 three pound batches . OH ! Meat cost $6.98 and with seasoning and onions/jalapenos it's a pretty cheap experiment ...bout $10.00 for making 6 LB of sausage . LETS DO SOME GRINDING !
    Last edited by Boaz; 08-17-2017 at 05:58 AM.

Boolit Master
    That looks delicious, I've been itching to make some sausage again. Send us some pics once its cooked up too!
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

It's a comin Dereck ! LOL I'll 'Critique' the finished product ...although it means little as we all taste differently .

Grinding done ! You know I figured the meat might be too lean , I tried to pick 3 packages and try to get bout a 20-30% fat content . It looks really , nice light pink color , plenty of fat . I have made pork sausage with lean meat and it's no good . HEY LOOK ! Castboolits is in the background !

Nice color !

I blended/mixed 1/4 of the seasoning into the ground meat . One package is spose to do 25 lbs so roughly figured . Mixed by hand and mixed separately the batch with onions and jalapenos .

Meats warming up and want to let it marry , meld , morph ...Dang I love those 50 cent words ! I'm gonna put it in the icebox and soak up the seasoning ! See ya tomorrow and we will stuff casings !

Boolit Master
    You got that right on the fat content, it's where all the flavor hides! I'm pretty jealous of that grinder mine is the kitchen aid attachment...it leaves a lot to be desired.

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master

Nice Grinder..That Leggs is the Cats meow. I like the regular sausage and i can buy it local..The Hot Italian is great stuff also.
    I'll be over for Breakfast

Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    You got that right on the fat content, it's where all the flavor hides! I'm pretty jealous of that grinder mine is the kitchen aid attachment...it leaves a lot to be desired.
    Derek It's a Cabela's 3/4 horse ,I read folks posting bout having a 5 hp commercial and that's cool but this grinder took me bout 5 min to crank out 6 pounds of meat . It is more than I need actually . Bought it in the ..Bargain Cave for $89.00 bout 2 years ago . Far as I'
    m concerned it's already paid for it's self .

Quote Originally Posted by randyrat View Post
    Nice Grinder..That Leggs is the Cats meow. I like the regular sausage and i can buy it local..The Hot Italian is great stuff also.
    I'll be over for Breakfast
    Randy this is my first venture into prepared seasonings ...You are encouraging ! thank you .

Boolit Master

You can always add more seasoning but you can't take it out. I've been using LEGGS for at least 35 years. I like the Bratwurst seasoning also..I add Butter milk and is just fantastic

OH REALLY ! Then you have experience with Legg's ! That's encouraging . As I said ..my first attempt with prepared/commercial seasoning . Thank you . ............But the onion /jalapeno is a wild card event ..lol . I checked quite a bit and seemed Legg's was the 'premiere' Italian seasoning blend .
    As an aside I have made polish with onions and bell peppers . Me and several others really liked it , will make it again .

One thing I find odd about this seasoning is there are no caraway seeds , they must be ground up in the powder instead of whole . I have made a good chicken Italian sausage (well...good as chicken sausage can get I guess) most Italian recipes call for whole seeds .

Moderator Emeritus

I use Legg's, the bratwurst is great mixed in a pound of hamburger then fried as a burger, hot Italian I use to boost the wimpy MN "hot" Italian the butcher shop makes. Breakfast sausage seasoning is good stuff too! I need ot get a whole pork butt and grind it for breakfast sausage. I make patties with a hamburger press that when fried up cover an English muffin.

Boolit Master
    dang with reviews like this I'm gonna track some down! Thanks for sharing yall

Thanks Yall!

ok , forgetting a couple of details . I'm using a 3/16 grinding plate in the grinder and scooped the seeds out of the jalapenos . It's supposta be 'hot Italian" seasoning so skipped the seeds to see where it stands on it's own . Recipe can be amended by results .

Boolit Master
    fry up a test patty for breakfast before you stuff the casings

Thanks Yall!

Banned

out of the prepackaged spices leggs and witts are the best. That said over the years ive kind of perfected what I like and do most of my own. meatman.com carries a full line of both and about any sausage making supply you would ever need and are great to deal with.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast