Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee VS rcbs 200g FP mold and cast boolit quaility in .358?

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

Lee VS rcbs 200g FP mold and cast boolit quaility in .358?

I'm looking at getting a mold for my 35 Remington rifles and wondering if there is going to be a difference in casted boolit quality between the two? I've used both Lee and rcbs molds and like both. Going to mainly use the boolit on deer and black bear.

Will this boolit feed in my Marlin 336 and Remington 7600?
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 08-16-2017 at 04:10 PM.

Boolit Master

Can't address the diff between Lee & RCBS, as I don't have the Lee mold. I DO have the Lyman 358315 that is a near-clone of the RCBS - the Lyman is RN, while the RCBS is RFN. Both cast nicely, and shoot nicely, in my 35 Whelen. FWIW...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Buddy
    Can you really justify not trying the Lee for 20 bucks?

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by acoop101 View Post
    Can you really justify not trying the Lee for 20 bucks?

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    Excellent point. If I didn't have the RCBS I would get the Lee & be happy I bet.

The cheapest place I found it is for $26.95 shipped.

I thought the same thing for the $. It looks to be a RCBS clone.

Ill just have to order $39 worth the hornady GC and lee sizer n ill be in business

I have a NOE and a Lee, cannot tell the difference when then are dropped. Both 200 grain.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	045.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	202040 the 2 on the left

Boolit Master
    Interesting, my Lee casts 205 and my NOE runs 224, can't say on the RCBS. my Lee casts well but only .359 dia. I have shot it in my 760 and it feeds OK, not great but it feeds.
    The NOE is awesome but I'm actually toying with buying a Lee 6 hole. The RCBS is an awesome bullet design!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

My RCBS throws 217 grs with my wheelweight/chilled shot alloy. I use a .359" sizer and Hornady gas checks. They are very accurate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    My RCBS casts to 218gr. 220 with gas check and lube. I size .360" for a Marlin M336. Almost as accurate as jacketed, under 2moa 5-shots.

I've heard anecdotal mention that the Lee's tend to run small, closer to .357-8" which might be problematic with larger bores such as MicroGroove barrels.

But at $27, you can't go wrong.

I have a 1970 336 35 rem Marlin 100 th anniversary eddition that's going to mainly be the one I'm shooting cast in. I'll have to slug it tomorrow. Who mAkes 359 and 360 sizes. I see Lee only goes to .358

Boolit Master

Or try an Accurate version from Tom. You can get exactly what you want and need that way.
    Good Luck,
    Rick

Boolit Master

I have a Lee 6-cavity that I'm working with to get to cast small enough to use. I'm getting everything from .358 to .363+ out of it.
    It casts some so large that, when I size, the crimp groove disappears. I've cast with it twice, and have yet to get a useable boolit.

I'll try one more time (maybe it's me ?). If I don't get a consistent size, I'll call Lee CS and talk to them.

Hey Tripplebeards
    My Marlin is also a centennial model with the medallion in the stock. One of my 200gr moulds is a Saeco three cavity. The Lee I had owned went down the road due to not doing well in the micro groove barrel. After struggling with both the Lee and Saeco, I got a two cavity RCBS and a Lyman .359 sizing die. Seat it deep, full length size, crimp it hard, a Lee factory crimp is just about mandatory. An alloy softer than Lyman #2 pushed around 1100fps does not need the gas check. Loaded with 2400 or 3031 does not hurt the unprotected ears. This combination in Florida is ideal for brush but will easily reach out over 100yds with outstanding accuracy and whomp. Never had a wounded deer or needed to follow a blood trail. Wish I could say the same for my pig hunts. Gosh a venue like here, thirty five years ago, would probably have saved me enough to buy another Marlin rifle. Good skill with yours.
    Roy
    Shoot often, Shoot well.

My mistake- my Lee sizer is .358"standard. Spoke before looking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I'm using a Lyman 450 lubri-sizer with .360" die.
    SPG lube and Hornady gas checks.
    I bought the Lyman 450 at a pawn shop about 25yrs ago for $25. They didn't even know what it was.
    It had a .452" die in it that someone had broken off a piece of it trying to improperly remove the die.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	202098

I just got home and slugged it. My highest measurement was .358. I got a .358 measurement in two different spots. The one measurement almost looked like .358.5

I don't lubrasize...I PC so I need a lee type sizer. Dose anyone make a .359 or .360 similar die that will crimp on a GC?

I'm guessing I should purchase the rcbs 200 mold being it cast a larger diameter boolit than the Lee from what some posters have stated?

Question two.... Should I get a .360 or .359". Sizer?

I saw a post that Lee had a listing that made any size sizer for $38, do they still offer this?
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 08-18-2017 at 12:00 AM.

I would assume I need a .359 since .360 would be too big at .002 over

I did check lees website and I can order a .359 sizer die but it takes 8 weeks! Dose anyone else make a similar die that can get quicker?

Boolit Master
    Tripplebeards,
    Check with NOE for bullet sizing dies
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by beltfed View Post
    Tripplebeards,
    Check with NOE for bullet sizing dies
    beltfed/arnie
    Yes, NOE for push through sizers! A little more money initially, cheaper in the long run, and much more accurate.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master
    I've got the lee 200gr 358 mold, if you can wait til next weekend shoot me a pm and I'll cast you up some samples to try. My preferred alloy is range scrap + 2% tin but let me know if you'd like more tin %.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast