WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
PBcastcoReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Ben's Red---The Clean-up!

Boolit Master

Ben's Red---The Clean-up!

OK, well I just finished my first batch of Ben's Red, and I'm thinking that this may be my LAST batch! What a mess! I know some of you have made many, many batches of this stuff, so how do you clean up the pan and utensils?? What do you use to cut through the wax and grease??
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master

I bought a thrift store crock pot and don't bother to clean it, its dedicated to making lube.

In Remembrance

If you raided the Wife`s kitchen for the needed utensils, well there is part of your problem. I got all my needed items either from Good Will stores, yard sales or from Wal Mart. I scraped clean as best as possible when done, kept the bigger pots and spoons and generally `chucked` the rest. Wooden paint stir sticks that are free make good stir and scrape tools here. I just recently made my 3rd batch and did the same routine when finished. The needed items aren`t that expensive to buy out right or buy second hand.Robert

Boolit Master

Yes, the equipment is dedicated to making lube, I was just hoping for a somewhat more "tidy" situation. I'll have to get some new stuff to make my 45-45-10.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Banned

a little beeswax in the 45/45 lube hurts nothing.
    one of the pre-runner lubes to the 45/45 lube contained about 30% beeswax, but the final lube JD wanted was just a coating so that it was a 'better' alox mix.
    I still add beeswax to my 45/45 lube.

Boolit Grand Master

I have used mineral spirits , acetone ,brake cleaner, carbutor cleaner or lacquer thinner and a lot of paper towels .
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

It's easier to get an appropriately sized tote to store all the equipment in. Clean is a relative term. I have 2 totes, one has the tools and the other supplies, and finished lube.
    The tools don't matter if it gets hot, but the supplies need a cool storage.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

In Remembrance

A bunch of us have made many batches of "Best Lube" which is an old commercial lube.
    As others have said, we have a dedicated set of equipment that we use. We're careful to avoid drips, etc. And, when we are done filling our tubes, it all just gets packed away, ready for the next batch.

Most of the Best Lube we make goes into Star Lubricizers, so we pour the final product into a set of hollow cylinder making tubes.
    Starting with a pine board, we drilled 1/4" holes for dowel rods, and then encircled each of those holes (using a hole saw) with enough of a circular hole to place pre-cut thin PVC pipe sections. We pour the resultant lube into that assembly and allow it to cool completely. Out slides perfect hollow tubes of lube, each one suitable for use in a Lyman 450/4500 or similar, or in our case, a Star Lubricizer.

As I said, we don't have a mess to deal with when we are done. And, we feel no need to get every surface of every piece and part completely clean of lube. They'll just get coated again next time we make a batch.

Maybe the O.P. is just a perfectionist. Or, maybe my group is just lazy. Either way, our system works for us.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Grand Master
    The concepts of making your own bullet lube and being " tiddy " don't go well with each other.

I've made Ben's Red for almost 8 years now.
    The same utensils are used now that I used then.
    I've never attempted to clean them.
    They are put into an old pillow case when they are cool to keep dust, etc. from getting on them.

Ben

Boolit Master

I store my hollow sticks of Ben's Red in Costco Nut jars. Keeps them clean and neat, with no worry of them staining something else..

Boolit Master

I too have dedicated pots and a measuring cup that sit on a shelf in the basement waiting the next batch. I also pour my melted Ben's Red into a few pieces of PVC pipe with a threaded rod I have arranged to fit into an old section of 2x4. After it sets up I push it out and wrap it in wax paper for storage in my tool cabinet. It is great stuff. I am thinking I need to make another batch. I like the idea of storing the stuff in an old pillow case to keep it clean. I'll do that! Thanks Ben!
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

I semi-cleaned up after making my one big batch of Bens Red. I just wiped stuff down with paper towels and tossed them back in the file drawer.
    A deplorable that votes!

If you're REALLY serious about wanting to clean up your stuff .... Get some Comet or Ajax or similar cleaner and sprinkle it on the damp pan, spoon, wisk, or whatever and rub. Then wash with a scrub brush, warm water and cleaner. Dry with a paper towel. Someone said GoJo works, but I haven't tried that.

Boolit Master

When I was hot and heavy into BPCR I went to the local Goodwill store and bought a large stainless steel vessel with a neat handle and spout. I made my lube in a 6 quart heavy aluminum Goodwill pot and then transferred the mix into the vessel and poured it into a pair of silicone pans (Goodwill again) with my boolits for a pan lube. When that batch cooled I removed the boolits and stored them in quart mason jars (Goodwill) and melted the extra back into the pot. When all was said and done I ended up with about 8 inches of lube left in the stainless steel vessel. Three years later it is still there with the dirty melting pot and the silicone pans all wrapped up in an old sheet. Why bother to clean it?
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

I have found nothing that works better then the deep fryer I confiscated from the Wife. I told her that it was not healthy to eat all that fat but I do miss the donuts she made in it
    When I make a batch of lube I put some water in it turn up the heat and put the wax and stull in it and bring it up to a simmer and let the brew roll for a hour and let it cool. when the cake sets up I take it out and wipe off the jell and junk off the bottom.
    Making the lube in a water bath it does not over heat and I have found nothing better to use for making lube.
    For lube wads I do basically the same thing only I have a 12" round baking pan with straight sides and I put a inch or a little less and put it on the hot plate weigh out 280 grams of lube and let it simmer and when it cools it gives me a very uniform 1/8" thick lube disk for loading the PP bullets.
    Make your lube in a water bath and you'll never again do it any other way.
    Kurt

Boolit Master
    I too just made my first batch of bens red! For me cleanup was a breeze! A little mineral spirits on a rag or two to get the heavy stuff off And fro the rags away when dirty. Then I just use some hot soapy water and Ajax dishwashing liquid! No I'm not saying I want to be making Jell-O or cherries Jubilee out of the same pot it was but everything cleaned up just fine as far as I'm concerned
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Yodogsandman View Post
    I semi-cleaned up after making my one big batch of Bens Red. I just wiped stuff down with paper towels and tossed them back in the file drawer.
    while I've never made Ben's Red, I've made similar.
    I do the same as Yodogsandman, wipe down with clean rags or paper towels while things are still warm...may need to re-heat the utensils, although with SL68B, I use a wooden paint stick as a stirrer...save it or throw it away.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001