WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2

Thread: LEE 4-20 pot remodel

Boolit Buddy

LEE 4-20 pot remodel

I have a Lee 4-20 pot that started to leak, discharge apparatus is kind of shot. I have found that I can cast better and faster if I use a ladle. So if I remove the discharge apparatus, what do I use to plug the bottom. This will then be just used for a ladle casting pot.
    Any help please!
    Thanks

Boolit Master
    Well, there are a couple ways to close the hole in bottom. Remove the spout and replace with a bolt n nut should seal it nicely. OR - perhaps thread the existing spout and screw a plug into it, then replace to pot.

I can understand frustrations with the 4-20 pot. I used the small 10 lb pot for a couple of years and always wondered what the problem was with the 4-20 pot I kept reading about - leaking, spout stopping up, etc. Now I understand, and might just go back to the 10 lb pot for casting - it was totally trouble free and a pleasure to cast with...... just ran out of lead too quickly.

Ken H>

Boolit Buddy
    Sheet metal screw from the bottom.

Boolit Master
    You could braze it over with brass.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Master

Most people don't seem to have a problem getting their Lee pots to no longer flow. The problem is KEEPING them flowing. Or stopping them from dripping.

I don't think a sheet metal screw would be good though due to the way the threads are on it. An extremely small bolt (also called a "machine screw" even though it really is not a screw) would be better.

A small piece of copper wire that was filed down to that it was tapered with the large end just slightly larger than the diameter of the hole might work if you hammered it in from the bottom.

Boolit Master

"A small piece of copper wire that was filed down to that it was tapered with the large end just slightly larger than the diameter of the hole might work if you hammered it in from the bottom." NV1959

or a piece of copper wire riveted in the hole
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by William Yanda View Post
    "A small piece of copper wire that was filed down to that it was tapered with the large end just slightly larger than the diameter of the hole might work if you hammered it in from the bottom." NV1959

or a piece of copper wire riveted in the hole
    Or a tight fit steel nail...let it rust in place.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    This may be off topic, but I have just used my new to me used LEE 4-20, and it worked great once I set the dial to 8. Lower than that, and I got poor bullets in my Lyman 31141 mold. The lead was wheel weights. Is this about the setting others use?

Banned
    Jkrem They are all a little different, you need to find where works best for you. Temperature requirements will vary with different molds, alloys casting rhythm, room temperature ...

Moderator Emeritus

Jkrem,
    On my Lee 4-20 pot, if I use a thermometer and don't use my PID controller, I usually have to have the dial on 5 or 6 when the Pot is full, and as the alloy level gets lower, I need to adjust the dial a little lower, to maintain a temp of 675º to 700º. When the pot is about 1/4 full (almost empty), the dial is usually at about 3. Also, as the alloy level gets lower, I am usually adjusting the flow rate.

One tip I can offer. I leave a layer of dross and sawdust (charred sawdust) on top of the melted alloy. That does two things, first it insulates the alloy so the pot can better maintain the desired temperature...but it also inhibits the formation of more oxides/dross
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Insert into round bin at end of bench, decide to not buy junk again.

some cannot afford a lyman or rcbs melting pot, it is about 200-300 dollars difference I believe.
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.