Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1,000 Yards with a .45-70

[QUOTE]The snobbery oozing from this thread is unbelievable. [/QUOTE
    I was thinking about trying to shoot a deer at 1000yards with my 45-70.
    How's that crow ?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gunseller View Post
    With the change in Iowa gun season allowable firearms I was thinking about trying to shoot a deer at 1000yards with my 45-70. I was going to use a 405 Lyman over 67 grains of FF Goex. I know 62 grains of FF under a 500 postel style will work but I want a flat nose. I am surprised at the small sight change. Good shooting.
    Steve
    IMHO, sir, unless yer chain yanking, that is unethically insane.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Jack Hammer View Post
    Got to go to a 1,000 yard range last weekend. What was interesting was my sight setting for 1,000 yards is only 1.4" above my 200 yard zero. ght Shooting a 30" bbl. Shiloh with a 550 gr. boolit over 65 gr. of Swiss 1 1/2, I'd expected to use my 3" sight staff. It wasn't necessary.

Fortunately the winds were calm, it was 100 degrees.
    It is a truism of black powder rifle design that you don't much increase the velocity by using a heavier powder charge. It lets you get the velocity with a heavier and hence better shaped bullet. Black powder match shooting in the UK was frequently at a range of 1000 to 1200 yards, usually with cases which, while of greater capacity than .45-70, were smaller than some used for dangerous game. Bullet weight and shape were the real key to long-range success.

Good quality black powder, carefully loaded, is an exceptionally consistent propellant. It can't get any less consistent as the range lengthens.

Boolit Master
    BiS
    Yes it is consistent. But it is NOT a 1000 yd deer rifle. Period. I shoot 1000 matches with bp and a 45-70 as much as anyone, maybe more, and even fairly well at times. It's a joke to even consider such hunting.

Someone here may remember the even more ridiculous attempt by David Higginbottam to kill an antelope at 1 mile with a BPCR. What an embarrasment that was!

Boolit Master
    When you consider that the best in this game will sometimes struggle to keep all shots for score in the black (44") at 1000 yards at a surveyed distance from a stable prone position, it's pretty clear that shooting for the kill zone of a deer at that distance is crazy. It has nothing to do with skill, a hit would be luck. The kill zone on the deer will be something like the size of the x-ring on the Creedmoor target. How many of even the best BPTR shooters hit the x-ring on command?

Chris.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunlaker View Post
    When you consider that the best in this game will sometimes struggle to keep all shots for score in the black (44") at 1000 yards at a surveyed distance from a stable prone position, it's pretty clear that shooting for the kill zone of a deer at that distance is crazy. It has nothing to do with skill, a hit would be luck. The kill zone on the deer will be something like the size of the x-ring on the Creedmoor target. How many of even the best BPTR shooters hit the x-ring on command?
    s
    Chris.
    Yes, and that is when you know it isn't 950 or 1050. A person is entitled to be crazy, and sticking cardboard deer out there at approximately known ranges is no more than eccentric. But trying to do that to a living animal is barbarous.

I Googled 'Iowa deer hunting rifle' and according to what I read, straight wall pistol cartridges are now allowed in rifles for deer hunting in Iowa.
    I think the 45-70 is not going to be allowed in either case.

So it would seem the Iowa Deer Hunting @1000 yds post was intended to stir the pot.

Boolit Buddy
    OP-What alloy and bullet lube did you use?
    What did you do for fouling control?
    LG
    Hav'n you along-Is like lose'n 2 good men

Boolit Master
    20/1 alloy, SPG lube, and a blow tube to moisten the fouling. Normally three (3) puffs with a blow tube does the trick but in the 100 degree climate I had to take a drink of water and blow 4 or 5 puffs.

Boolit Buddy
    I run 30:1, w/DGL and BT.
    X2 on drinking plenty of water.
    LG

Boolit Master
    LG, Does 30:1 lead your bore? We shoot about 50 rounds per match, 30/1 was discussed as offerering greater accuracy but that accuracy would diminish by lead deposits during a match.

Boolit Buddy
    I get a small touch of lead from the .45-90(85gn of 'E' 2F with 540 gn PJ C'moor@1350fps)after shooting 50 rnds or so.
    Nut'n a brass brush can't remove with ease.
    LG

Boolit Master
    What I replied was in response to the opening post, about the potential of the .45-70 for target shooting at long ranges. It doesn't have the ideal black powder capacity for driving the heavy, well-shaped bullet that is important for such applications. But the problems of fouling should be less than with those that do.

Boolit Master
    Personally, I think the 70 is ideal for long range, but I shoot paper patches.

In most any match, fouling is rendered irrelevant by wiping between shots, which is pretty much required to be competitive today.
    Last edited by BrentD; 08-21-2017 at 06:45 PM.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    There are a number of folks that run 45-70's in long range matches, and do quite well with it. Loaded properly it will get the job done on paper. There are also more than a few of dedicated bpcr/bptr shooters now moving to 16-1 alloy, and likeing the accuracy improvement. The original specs for the 45-70 was for a 16-1 alloy bullet.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    I would suspect that some people who try a cartridge like the .45-70 at extreme ranges on game find their insight and sense of purpose running out at the 1886 Winchester bullet they conveniently have.

I say "game", but I don't much like the way some people think it is better when you do it to coyotes etc. At low velocities nothing is too small to get away when clipped at the edges by any size of bullet. I keep thinking of a friend's wild desert dog in Oman, who decided to be a house dog and learned the procedure as fast as any pet ever bred. They don't answer job ads to be a varmint.

Quote Originally Posted by BrentD View Post
    I am sure he is just jerking our chains.

Certainly one of the dumber and most unnessecary laws in IA this year. But no one will kill a deer in IA at 500, much less 1000 yards. Won't happen.
    I grew up there, and you're right. I never took a shot beyond 75 yards because of the terrain and thick timber!

Boolit Master

pretty amusing thread -- I think there are 2 or3 pistols that come in 45-70. One was a revolver, 5 or 6 shots. Shoot and hold over. Whats the problem?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ascast View Post
    pretty amusing thread -- I think there are 2 or3 pistols that come in 45-70. One was a revolver, 5 or 6 shots. Shoot and hold over. Whats the problem?
    I talked to a guy a few years back, and he showed me a 45-70 Derringer............I saw it! Shook my head and walked away.
    A gun in hand is worth two cops on the phone.
    MOLON LABE

Boolit Master
    Hi Knarly.Did the manufacturer supply a crowbar to extract it from you palm after firing?
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12