Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataLee Precision
WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 8mm-06 with cast

Boolit Man

8mm-06 with cast

I've been trying to find data for this cartridge using cast boolits for some time now. I have half a dozen manuals (Accurate #2, Nosler 6th and 7th, Hornady 7th and 9th, and Speer 14th) that list this cartridge with the heaviest bullets weighing 195-220grs. The Lyman manuals ( CastBullet Handbook 4th edition, Reloading Handbook #49, and #50) I have don't list the cartridge at all. The Hodgdon Data Center is of no help either.
    The mold I have is the NOE 326471 215gr FN GC design. Does anyone know if the older Lyman cast manuals have data, if so I'll find a used or reproduction copy. I've thought of extrapolating data from what I have for the jacketed loads. Though this is something I have not attempted before. Your thoughts, input, recommendations, and cautions to be taken are appreciated.

Boolit Master
    13.0 gr Red Dot
    16.0 gr 2400

Either will work.

Also, you might try H4895. Start at 28.0 gr and work your way up until you find an acceptable level of accuracy.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Buddy
    Try load data for 8x57 you will be safe since you have more case capacity

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

The problem with 8x57 load data is that it is anemic for the 8x57, much less for larger boolits. I'm having the same problem with the 9.3x57. Haven't gotten to cast boolits with that yet.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Man
    The 8x57 data could serve as a starting point, though the difference in capacity between the two cartridges may or at not cause a problem depending on the powder I try. I've also thought of trying to extrapolate data from 30-06 and 338-06. I plan on getting Quickload sometime in the next few months as well. I may be able to work something up with that as well. I'd like to get the velocity between 1800-2000fps.

Boolit Master
    I saw a Loadbook for the 8mm-06 and .338-06 once.
    I have sold off my 8mm-06 years ago and really didnt plan to build another in the near future, so I didnt take a look to see if it had any cast data.
    But the 8mm-06 is not to far behind the .35 Whelen.
    perhaps that data could be used as a starting point.

Boolit Bub
    It wont be difficult to achieve those velocities. I would go with gas checks and rifle powder. 4350 or 2700 is my go to and seems to work right around starting loads give or take. Most 8mm's like the heavier stuff and have generous throats