RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: Two bullet 38 Special Loads

Boolit Buddy

Two bullet 38 Special Loads

Hey guys I figured I would share what I've been up to lately. After seeing a few posts about 200 grain 38 loads, and seeing posts about double roundball loads, I figured I would make up a batch of double 95-RF loads.

I started a bit below the 200 grain starting charges. Everything seems normal at 5% below max, but that doesn't mean much because 38 cases never show pressure signs. My reasoning is that these stubby bullets are only 0.4" and I am only seated in the case about 0.53". I will be heading to the range tomorrow to see how they do out of the rifle. With the Rossi's slow twist, It wont stabilize any subsonic bullet over 160 grains. Hopefully I can find at the range tomorrow that at least one bullet is repeatably accurate, and that the other lands within a few inches at 50 yards.

Also, if anybody has quickload, I would appreciate if you punched some numbers for me. I am chicken at the moment to shoot these in my Model 10, but if we can decide I'm not a complete idiot I just might. For now, they are primarily for the rifle in hopes that they're accurate and more quiet than my 3.8 gr Titegroup and 158-RF combo.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170815_164955.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	201955

What do you guys think? I would really appreciate seating depths of various 200 gr bullets if any of you can measure for me.

Boolit Master
    The only double projectile loads I did was a lotta years back using two collar buttons and my Security Six. The fellow that helped me out has since passed away, and won the projectiles in a forum contest. I think the fellow that had the mold went by the handle Coyote Joe. I have the load in my notebook in the shed, but I ain't going in there until it cools off a bit and I feel better. It didn't hurt my revolver and it was almost like shooting a .22.......
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Buddy
    They shoot pretty good! From testing around the back yard, they seemed to be about inch apart at 25 yards. I found out today at the range that they seem to do that, but maybe 40% spread near 2 inches. I only shot about 15 but I'd like to try some more and especially check out what they do at 50 yards.

For those curious, and also intelligent and cautious I was shooting 2.8 gr Titegroup after working up. I'd say they are probably around 900 fps in the rifle and they were definitely pretty quiet. I wonder if a little slower powder might give them a more consistent push and barrel exit for a tighter spread, such as 3.5 gr Herco, Power Pistol or Unique.

These short bullets have a lot of weight in the nose and not a lot of bearing area. It is easy to seat them slightly cockeyed, and there is not enough bearing surface to straighten them out as they seat. I bet that is some of my spread. Seat them straighter and they will group better. If I could get 2" at 50y I would be really happy.

Banned

I'd not experiment with titegroup.
    if you slip up or dump the bottom bullet too deep the titegroup will instantly get weird on you.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have played around a bit with 2 and 3 ball loads. I have a 358-101 75 grain wadcutter, and a 432-110 grain NOE wadcutter that I have stacked. I personally wanted more spread, not less. I wanted 2 inches at 10 yards, thinking this might be a low penetration home defense load.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have played around a bit with 2 and 3 ball loads. I have a 358-101 75 grain wadcutter, and a 432-110 grain NOE wadcutter that I have stacked. I personally wanted more spread, not less. I wanted 2 inches at 10 yards, thinking this might be a low penetration home defense load. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...spl-mag-45colt was an interesting thread on this topic.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Bub
    Trying a slower powder might be interesting. I have worked up a load using the lee 358-200 in 38spc using Longshot for a ruger LCR. The recoil was not bad, accuracy seemed good, and they didn't jump crimp although there was very little room to spare in front of the bullet. Your post got me thinking about trying a similar load using a very light wadcutter under the 95-rf so I just ordered some 80gr wadcutters.