RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: Hornady 30 cal neck sizer die

Boolit Grand Master

Hornady 30 cal neck sizer die

Anyone using one of these and if you are how does it work for you. What cartridges are you using it for?https://www.midwayusa.com/product/11...die-30-caliber
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

Nobody even heard of it? Me either guess I'll have to buy one and try it out. I see they make them in couple calibers, 6.5 and 22 look interesting.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

I just ordered one and will find out how well it works, they must be a new addition for Hornady as it seems very few have used one.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    I found that my Hornady .30 cal neck sizing die sized the necks far more than I cared for using 308 Win, 300 WinMag, and even 30-30, I prefer the Lee Collet dies. Now use a Redding 'S' bushing die with the inserts for 308 Win and smaller cases like 300 Savage. 30-30, 303 Savage.

Boolit Master
    I've had mine for at least five years.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for the reply, guess I just never saw them before I've got one coming from Midway.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    I am a big fan of the lee collet dies.

Better still are the bushing dies as you can adjust your degree of neck sizing by simply changing bushings up or down. The collet dies can be adjusted by ordering a smaller or larger custom mandrel from lee.

The fixed neck sizers are an improvement over a full length sizer but I have retired most of mine wherever there is an alternative.

Three 44s

Boolit Grand Master

I'm a fan of the Lee collet dies too but they don't make one for the 7.62x54r that I can find? I've been partial sizing in my FL set for the 91/30 and figured I might sqeeze out a little more accuracy and case life. It is shipped so looks like I'll give it a go and see?
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

This is where I'm at and quite pleased so far, now if I could shrink that down I'd beClick image for larger version. 

Name:	91-30 185 Lee lapped nose.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	202056
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

I have several brands of Fixed size neck dies, and don't use any of them any more. They don't really extend brass life, they just guarantee the brass will fail on the neck before the shoulder. They size the neck just as much as FL dies, which is too say, too much, as MostlyLeverGuns has already observed. Collet, lapped neck dies, or bushing dies can always resize more minimally.

Remember, your accuracy goal for using a neck die is consistent bullet pull. The less variation in bullet release time you achieve, the more potentially accurate that load can be. Since the factory fixed size neck dies size as much as their FL dies, they do not advance you towards that goal.

Other goals must be balanced with this, just as preventing in-magazine bullet pull in high recoil guns, bullet jam in tubular magazines and on loading, and safe feed & ejection (e.g., not leaving a bullet behind when ejecting an unfired cartridge).

For these reasons, I have moved on to bushing dies and body dies for just about everything with a bottleneck in the cartridge case.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.