Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Five at One Hundred Yards

Boolit Master
    44MAG#1, I sent you a PM

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    Smith M69. Iron sights.
    I want one of those!

One of our members brought one of those by here for forcing cone recut which I used a custom made 9 degree cutter on, can't remember what the throats were, would be nice to see what that one did @ 100yds.

That's great shooting btw!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Both of mine are stock. The 2.75 inch and the 4.2 inch. They are rapidly becoming my most favorite Handguns period. Both shoot 21 of 2400 with the "Keith" bullet very well. My intent was to not run them with full power loads. I have a Smith M629 and Rugers for that. I don't like the round butt grips the shorty came with from Smith so I put the ones from the 4.2 inch gun on it and will order a set later.
    I have been shooting 1-16 tin lead bullets I cast. Some powder coated and most not powder coated.
    No leading, barrel stays clean and I size to the size Keith always recommended,of .429".
    I have just began to experiment with my 270 "Keith"and am crimping over the front band. I did crimp on the front band and they did fine with the 1-16 alloy with 9.1 PowerPistol since recoil wasn't too much for the crimp.
    Seated in the crimp groove the OAL is too long for the cylinder.
    S&B primers are just fine too as I can tell.

Boolit Master
    Very nice, I shoot a 696 and really like the big bore L frames. Looked at the M69 when the came out and still watching for a nice used example. There have been several threads on several forums but nothing showing groups at enough distance to tell much about cast bullet accuracy. If that group is anywhere close to your average with the 4 inch as well, then I really need to find one ! Didn't know they did it in a snubby. Is your 4 inch a good cast performer as well?
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Yes the 4.2 inch is.

Boolit Buddy
    Love it! Glad to see someone else's results with this little gun.

I too have both 4 1/4" and 2 3/4" guns. The L Frame .44s just work for me. Here's a group I shot at 50 yds rested over my range bag with the 2 3/4" gun. Second group verified this, so it's not a fluke. I'm convinced the vertical stringing is do to the red ramp washing out a bit. Of course old eyes and short sight radius may also contribute. Second picture is a group shot offhand at 25 yds using same poweder charge, but the Lyman Thompson 265gr SWCGC. For some reason, the little gun just shoots for me.

Here are some chrono results with both barrel lengths:

Chronoed these from the 2.75” M69. Three rounds at 5 Long paces from muzzle and 68 deg F. Larger sample could change the results a bit. Largest ES was 42 fps.

260 WFNGC w/23.0gr H110 avg 1,125 fps
    240 Zero JSP with 23.5gr H110 avg 1,126 fps
    240gr Fed Factory avg 1,125 fps
    265gr CSWCGC (Lyman Thompson) with 17.5gr A2400 (Deep Seat) 1,119 fps avg
    325gr WLNGC (BTB) with 22.0gr H110 avg 1,104 fps

For comparison purposes these were shot a while back from my 4 ¼” M69: Same temp, distance from the muzzle.

260 WFNGC w/23.0gr H110 avg 1,224 fps
    240 Zero JSP with 23.5gr H110 avg 1,230 fps
    240gr Fed Factory avg 1,220 fps
    265gr CSWCGC (Lyman Thompson) with 17.5gr A2400 (deep seat) 1,140 fps avg
    325gr WLNGC (BTB) with 22.0gr H110 avg 1,182

Paul

Boolit Master
    Nice shootin'

Great shooting, thanks for sharing. I may have to try the PP load for my M69. Have you run it through a chrono at all? Impressive results no matter what the naysayers spout

Boolit Master
    Excellent! Paul that's some good shooting!!!! Have to agree an the vertical being mostly sighting error, but man look at the horizontal! Very nice offhand, that's about what my 696 would do when I really had it together, pretty rare but occasionally found get there. Glad to see the 69s performing with cast!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Grand Master
    I was looking at those 2 1/2 inchers, but the trials and tribulations I had with my 4.2 incher have deterred me to this point. Mine leads worse than a number two pencil writing on 80 grit sand paper. I haven't been out to shoot with it lately, but I have been thinking about it. Need to stop thinking and start doing. I need to continue the fire-lapping.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    I held off getting one due to what I have read about the leading issue. I have not had any trouble with mine using Lyman #2 equivalent and also 1-16 tin/lead both sized to .429". I have used 21 gr 2400 with both and also 9.4 PowerPistol with the 250's and 8.2 PowerPistol with the 270's. With the 270's I have shot 17.5 gr 2400 with them seated deep.
    I size all to .429".
    Maybe I was lucky.

Boolit Grand Master
    Maybe you were lucky, or I was unlucky, but I sure envy the way yours shoots.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Owning my own 44 specials and one magnum, these are realistic examples. I was just shooting my Colt New Frontier 7 1/2" 44 special. The 25 yard group with the skeeter load was almost a 1 hole ragged group. 2 days ago at 12" AR500 plate at 125-150 yards, I almost could not miss. We were originally sighting in our 30-30 rifles with cast bullets at that target and started shooting handguns at it. The heavier Keith load with 17 grains was maybe that accurate as I was hitting it 2/3 of the time but squeezing of that round with the plow handle grip took all I could muster to keep from flinching.

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    Iron sights yes. 2.75 inch.
    Damn good shooting! Iron sights and snubby!

Boolit Bub
    That is impressive shooting with a short barreled .44. Very nice.
    I did not realize those would shoot that good.
    Great job.
    re

Boolit Master

Thats some good shooting I feel good if i can hit my 10" gong 2 out of 6 times at 100 yards with my 7 1/2 SBH 44 magnum
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

"He can't hit me from there-he's shooting a snub nose rev............."

Boolit Grand Master
    Very impressive revolver work. Much respect.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    I used to shoot my Model 57 like that, about 30 years ago that is. Ain't happening anymore, older eyes ain't no good. But last time I tried, I did put one out of six on a paper plate. I have no idea where the other five went though. But it's also a 6", so I cheated. By the way, that's some seriously nice lead slinging there.

Boolit Master

That Keith seated position is the "Bees Knees" for any distant shooting without a rest.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12