Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: Two Recommended 357 Magnum Loads Confirmed

Boolit Buddy Low Budget Shooter's Avatar

Two Recommended 357 Magnum Loads Confirmed

Recently I loaded up and test fired two loads that the experienced shooters on this board have recommended. I found both to shoot great!

Gun: Model 19-3 6" barrel
    Bullet: RCBS 38-150-KT (156 grains cast of COWW)
    Lube: Red Carnauba
    Sized: .358
    Brass: Federal .357 Magnum
    Load #1: 5.0 grains Red Dot - average 978 fps
    Load #2: 6.5 grains Unique
    Crimp: roll - medium

The Red Dot load is not much more powerful than a 38 Special +P load. Its strengths are accuracy and economy. You can make up the same load with 4.5 grains Red Dot in 38 Special brass for similar accuracy, the same average velocity, and lower extreme spread.

According to some of the gurus on this board, the Unique load is about the hottest load you can make with Unique before starting to suffer loss of accuracy and/or leading from excessive pressure. I have not shot that one over the chrony. Anyone have good velocity data on that one?

So, if you have some Red Dot or some Unique, and you want to enjoy some mild to medium loads in your 357, you can't go wrong with these classics, and you can't go wrong accumulating the advice of the experienced guys on this board.
    I'm not sure where all the money is that I've "saved" by casting and reloading!

Boolit Master

Thanks for the info. I also load the majority of my 357 loads to what your Red Dot load is doing, 1,000 with 146 to 158 grain bullets. I personally really like that RCBS 150 Grain KT bullet and have used it since the mid 70s.

What was your velocity with the load using the Unique?
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Buddy Low Budget Shooter's Avatar
    I don't know the Unique load velocity. I measured the Red Dot load on our club's chrony a while back, but someone has since shot it dead.

Boolit Master

I use the Lee 158gr TL SWC, and now I powder coat them.

I stopped at 6 grains of Unique since that's what Alliant recommends. I call them .38spl +p+ since my club technically doesn't allow magnum loads and it's still a light load for the caliber.

I'll have to try some Red Dot.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Buddy
    Been loading a 158gr boolit/bullet over 5gr of Red Dot in .357 for 30+ years...

First load I tried off the included sheet that came when I bought my Lee dies...

Boolit Master
    sounds like a good excuse for me to buy some red dot. One of the powders I've seen the praises of but not yet got around to testing myself. Unique and I have a love hate relationship at the moment.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Banned
    6.4 grains Unique has been a standard load for a long time for the 357, 4.6 for the 38 special

Boolit Master

I'm going to try that RedDot load. I have a bunch of Promo, and a bunch of recently emptied 357 brass....

So far, I've been rolling with 6gr Universal under a 150-160gr boolit to get to 1000fps. Works very well. Universal and Unique are very close in both burn rate, and also charge weights. Usually, the start load numbers of either can be used.

Boolit Master
    In a .357 case I have found Red Dot / Promo 5.0 gr. outstanding with boolit weights from 120 ~ 160 gr. The only 38 Spl I load any more is the Lyman 358242 (120 gr) over Red Dot /Promo 4.2 gr it is a tack driver.

Boolit Master

I was so impressed with the versatility of Red Dot when I posted a thread asking who loads what with it, I plan on buying a keg of it or Promo as soon as I see one.
    Last edited by Bzcraig; 08-16-2017 at 10:16 PM.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master
    +1 on the Red Dot, but another sleeper that people seem to ignore is Green Dot. I haven't tried it yet in my .357 but it's my go to in my .41.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Low Budget Shooter View Post
    Recently I loaded up and test fired two loads that the experienced shooters on this board have recommended. I found both to shoot great!

Gun: Model 19-3 6" barrel
    Bullet: RCBS 38-150-KT (156 grains cast of COWW)
    Lube: Red Carnauba
    Sized: .358
    Brass: Federal .357 Magnum
    Load #1: 5.0 grains Red Dot - average 978 fps
    Load #2: 6.5 grains Unique
    Crimp: roll - medium

The Red Dot load is not much more powerful than a 38 Special +P load. Its strengths are accuracy and economy. You can make up the same load with 4.5 grains Red Dot in 38 Special brass for similar accuracy, the same average velocity, and lower extreme spread.

According to some of the gurus on this board, the Unique load is about the hottest load you can make with Unique before starting to suffer loss of accuracy and/or leading from excessive pressure. I have not shot that one over the chrony. Anyone have good velocity data on that one?

So, if you have some Red Dot or some Unique, and you want to enjoy some mild to medium loads in your 357, you can't go wrong with these classics, and you can't go wrong accumulating the advice of the experienced guys on this board.
    No. 2 is my favorite . But I use a mild crimp.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Buddy
    I have had good luck with the Falcon 125 grain conical cast boolit with 4.0 to 4.3 grains of Red Dot in .38 Special or .357 brass. In a four inch Model 66 using .38 Special brass 4.0 grains will average 1.5 inches at 25 yards with velocity of about 975 fps and a four inch Model 686-1 using 4.0 grains and .357 brass will average 1.2 inches at 25 yards with a velocity of 775 fps. The difference in accuracy between 4.0 and 4.3 grains was measured in hundredths of an inch, so there is no practical difference. The velocity difference was about 70 fps in .357 brass and about 40 fps in .38 Special brass.

Gus Youmans