MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: whats the cast boolit "rule of thumb" on loads?

You never get into trouble using heavier bullet data for a lighter bullet. With lead, you want to use starting jacketed data & work it up. You will reach max pressures sooner with lead than jacketed, so stay away from max load levels.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

so its ok to go ahead and use lees min. loads for jacketed 285 bullets for cast 285gr 9.3X62? I might still start at 46-47grs instead of a min charge of 51grs of imr4895
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Master
    I'm with those who use the start load of a slightly heavier bullet. I have done this on a number of occasions without difficulty
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master

mozeppa - now that I know what you are loading, here is what I am using in several locked breach 380's. Accurate mold 35-100B which is a RF style, at 103 gr sized 357 seated at .960" OAL using 2.8 gr of 231 for regular use. I have gone from 3.1 gr down to 2.7 and found 2.8 best for my shooting. Start low and work up. For the Lee 356-95RF @ 97 gr, I settled on 3.3 gr 231 @ .927 OAL. For both bullets I use a 3/3/94 alloy.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Slower powders seem to be more forgiving than fast powders. If you are trying to come up with an equivalent load based on jacketed, it is easier to do it with IMR4198 than, say, Bullseye. I had to come up with an equivalent load for my Tok 7.62x25, with the 100 gr. Lee 30 cal. I preferred Unique to Red Dot on the basis that Unique was the slower powder, and less likely to cause a pressure problem. I use 6.0 gr unique as my standard load all the time now.
    Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master

There is plenty of data for the 102gr Lee boolit and I would be comfortable using your 100gr TC boolit with that data. But as mentioned above YOU need to be sure of all the variables and come to your own educated decision because it is you who will pull the trigger. The great folks here are an invaluable resource for helping with the aforementioned educated decision making.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Rebel View Post
    one said " keep looking, there is data for everything out there" I have looked and looked and looked, for 9.3X62 285gr cast, cant find any data for any powder ( would like to use imr4895 or varget), what now? min charge for 285 jacketed X .90??? thanks-Travis
    Purchase Quickload.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Rebel View Post
    one said " keep looking, there is data for everything out there" I have looked and looked and looked, for 9.3X62 285gr cast, cant find any data for any powder ( would like to use imr4895 or varget), what now? min charge for 285 jacketed X .90??? thanks-Travis
    I would choose a powder with a slower burn rate for that heavy boolit...depending on what velocity you hope to achieve.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I found at least 2 load data sites that have powders/loads listed for 100gr cast in 380. I think there may be a few more & I have not even looked in any of my manuals yet. They are not TC boolits listed in the online links though. Mostly RN. Regardless, I am simply pointing out that there is load data that are very close to what you seek. If the boolits length in regard to case capacity are the same, then you may be able to use such load data to start to work up your loads, rather than u sing heavier or lighter boolit load data alone.

Here are the 2 sites, although, like I said there may be more resources to check...:

http://castpics.net/dpl/index.php/re...et-data-lookup

http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/de...Powder&Source=

G'Luck!

P.S. - There is a list here of Online Load Data manuals & such. The Castboolits.gunloads member, Grmps started it. It is located here for your viewing pleasure.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...online-sources
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Grand Master

How many fellers are looking for data? One says 9x62 another says 380. ???
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy
    Quit being so cheap and buy either the Lee manual or one of Lymans Cast bullet hand books or one with both jacketed and cast...I know everyone gets lazy and cheap because of the internet..but you won't learn ANYTHING from one or two SUGGSTED loads you might get here..solving a problem is another matter ..
    for what it's worth some of the most accurate loads are those below the listed starting points for a particular bullet and cartridge..you won't know what those are until you get a book or ask a couple of 100 people to read theirs to you...open your wallet and do some of the work yourself...you'll be better off for it..

Boolit Master
    .380 is a very common round. I'd keep looking until I found something. Have you tried the powder manufacturers website?

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    DO NOT reduce H110 or Win 296 by 60%

again, I will state, there are too many "exceptions" to have a valid rule of thumb.
    that is not a 60% reduction that is a 40% reduction from max load of same powder for same weight bullet in jacketed load data to accommodate cast bullet. Multiply by .6 yields 60% of original or a 40% reduction not 60% reduction.

Take load data for a Hornady 140 grain XTP max is 19 grains H110 times .6 equals 11.4 Which is just a bit under the 12 grain min for FTX bullet in 140 grain. Those have the plastic tips so I guess lower velocity or pressure is desired. But both are jacketed and I would think 11.4 would be a non squib starting load for 140 grain cast lead that would have enough pressure to burn the powder.

It is true that some powders such as H110 or W296 really won't perform properly until reaching a certain pressure threshold. My guess is 11.4 grains would not be an ideal load but I think it would be a safe starting point.

No "rule of thumb" is perfect. They provide a starting point for consideration if nothing else is available. Real load data trumps rule of thumb every time. However that particular rule of thumb came from calling Hodgdon for advice so I doubt they would suggest it if it would lead to disastrous results with their powders.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    You can add a bunch of other powders that shouldn't be reduced that much. In the case of W296/H110 the last info they published said not to reduce by more than 3% if only a max load is given. Published starting loads are safe and you should not go below them. Unfortunately Hodgdon took this info off their site when they switched to the current reloading data center interface. You'd think they'd have these warnings front and center like they used to.

In life in general rules of thumb are an easy way to screw things up quickly.
    or end up with no thumbs and it really sucks when you wake up dead
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    Take load data for a Hornady 140 grain XTP max is 19 grains H110 times .6 equals 11.4 Which is just a bit under the 12 grain min for FTX bullet in 140 grain.
    That is the wrong multiplier for that powder. You're reducing it way to much. See my earlier post for how much you can reduce H110 from a listed max charge, if no starting load is listed.

You also can't substitute XTP and FTX data. XTPs have their own specific load data. It's not interchangeable w/ other JHPs let alone a FTX bullet. This is exactly how rules of thumb or wrong interpolation of data can get you in trouble.

If you have a specific question call the powder or bullet manufacturers. They want to help you out. There isn't a lot of data out there for the newer powders. But there will be over time.

Banned

Travis.
    60% rule with the 4895.

H-110 is a perfectly acceptable powder for reduced rifle loads.
    the warnings are in near case capacity loads where a start stop start is much more likely and there is no capacity to take up the gas volume produced that fast.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm using the H&G 55s rn at 95 grains. I use 231 from 2.8 up to 3.2 at 0.955 oal. Seems to match Cherokee's loads. I'm using linotype. Why? Have no idea, just because I have a bunch and they look pretty, but also will use simple range lead. I think you have a good place to start.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    that is not a 60% reduction that is a 40% reduction from max load of same powder for same weight bullet in jacketed load data to accommodate cast bullet. Multiply by .6 yields 60% of original or a 40% reduction not 60% reduction.

...SNIP
    please disregard my comment, I didn't notice you were talking about a rifle cartridge, I've never used H110 in rifle cartridges.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    This is correct by my experience. H110 is position sensitive. I shot reduced loads in a .30-30.
    When the powder charge was forward the rounds fired normally.
    When the powder charge was back against the primer the loads locked the bolt of a 788.
    So I do not use ball powders for reduced loads unless the data is in a reliable publication.

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    DO NOT reduce H110 or Win 296 by 60%

again, I will state, there are too many "exceptions" to have a valid rule of thumb.
    EDG

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Purchase Quickload.
    I've had some data run on Quick load . It is not dead on every time , in my case it presented 15 solutions . 3 matched outcomes that I had , 1 missed . It showed a load value of 105% for a particular powder . That data number would have put actual case fill at 163% of data generated . In that case it wasn't a big deal the powder choice was far to slow for cartridge and bullet weight , to slow to get hurt .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast