WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: whats the cast boolit "rule of thumb" on loads?

I'm really not an advocate of going by general rules as opposed to real honest load data. Which was why I called Hodgdon for confirmation of my load when I was going a little bit close to the margins. However if you have a known safe load and want to translate from jacketed to cast that 60% of max is a fairly decent place to start. The more you know about the powder and similar loads the less dangerous it gets. E.g Knowing H110 needs sufficient load to build pressure for good burn. Or Titegroup can spike pressure sharply on a minor load difference.

Personally if I had a load I was working on with some "rule" I would bounce what I had in mind off the members here for feed back. Good chance someone else already has known good data to apply to what you are trying to do. Or knows of a source to check for some tested and definitive load data. Some members have done a lot of testing, others have a library of manuals to draw on. Including some older or less common ones.

In my case Hodgdon said they don't load test a lot of .303 British rounds but using the ADI load data for the equivalent H powders was safe. Then I got to feel good and enjoy rather than fearing I was going to end up with a bolt sticking out of my face. Ugly enough to start with, don't need that.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

I wasn't so much looking for a load as I was defending the op, when someone said " keep looking, every boolit has load info out there" when I said that I had looked everywhere for load info and found none, sorry for the confusion. it 's just that sometimes there isn't load data to be found, I think especially now that cast boolits are becoming more popular and more and more boolit designs are available. good luck to the OP
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

I'd start with this site.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-250-gr-9-3x62

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Rebel View Post
    one said " keep looking, there is data for everything out there" I have looked and looked and looked, for 9.3X62 285gr cast, cant find any data for any powder ( would like to use imr4895 or varget), what now? min charge for 285 jacketed X .90??? thanks-Travis

Randy,I have used 12.5 gr. #WC 820 under a PC'd lee 90gr. s.w.c. & sml.R.Primer in the 7.62x25 Tokarev Zastava with good results, it registered 1450fps. on my Chrony, WC # 820 in my .44 preformes quite the same as the #H110 with a minimum chg. of 21.5 Gr. under the 215gr. Thompson /Lyman GC, just my 2 cents, Fivefang

Banned
    Here is a list of online load data sites http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...online-sources

that was good info, as I plan on getting a 250gr someday, but I am starting with a 286gr and sticking with it for a while. unfortunately I have gone through that list twice, and if there is something in there, I missed it. there were a couple sites that ddidnt load, I think they might have been hodgdon
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Grand Master

Lyman and Lee have quite a bit of CB data, Lyman even has a CB manual. Too many exceptions to many rules of thumb.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123