RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load DataRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bummer! ...captured a bad mistake!

Boolit Master

bummer! ...captured a bad mistake!

loaded up 501 cast boolits ...100 grain cone nose.

inspected all the brass for cracks, all the primers for good seating, c.o.l. is real good, checked each one for plunk fit. all is good!

but something was itching my think tank...so... i re-checked the load books for my load.

i loaded each with AA#5 and my dispenser ran each off at 4.6 grains ...and it was VERY consistent!

wrong!

i mused that this was too hot a load...and i was right.
    first ....i could not find any loads for that boolit , or grain weight ...and none using aa#5.

so where tyhe heck did i come up with 4.6 of aa#5?
    i re-checked 5 manuals .....it's not there!

from what i am able to find, 4.6 of aa#5 is nearly a double charge.
    sig sauers are tuff little guns but i don't think they'd stand a chance with a KABOOM load!

so check good....then re-check again.

don't know how i initially missed this!

Boolit Buddy
    Glad you paid attention to that little itch in the back of your head and caught that.
    Much better than a "hey, look what happened to me and I am recovering" post!
    Be safe and shoot straight!

Uuuh oooh!

Me thinks that you are going to become an expert at dissassembling lots-O-ammo soon...
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    Ouch that could've been bad news! There's usually a reason for that itch in the back of your mind...good on you for finding it.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master
    Thanks for admitting your mistake publicly to help us all remember to listen to our gut feelings and check everything one more time if something doesn't feel quite right.
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Ouch.

I did the same thing once with 44 mag. Wrong powder

Hope you have a collet puller. My hands got sore after the first 100 with an impact puller and I went and bought a collet puller that day

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepguy242 View Post
    Ouch.

I did the same thing once with 44 mag. Wrong powder

Hope you have a collet puller. My hands got sore after the first 100 with an impact puller and I went and bought a collet puller that day
    I *may* have done something similar with my 38 wad cutter loads, the impact puller wouldn't even budge it. Solution I found was to remove the decapping pin and run them through the sizing die. You'll have to recast the boolits but they popped right out after being sized down.

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master
    You might consider giving up handloading and finding a activity that does not require paying attention or conscious thought.
    You don't usually get any do overs.
    EDG

Quote Originally Posted by ghh3rd View Post
    Thanks for admitting your mistake publicly to help us all remember to listen to our gut feelings and check everything one more time if something doesn't feel quite right.
    Our instincts are always trying to protect us and always based on something, often the basis that is triggering that feeling is something we don't notice consciously but it's something our mind picked up on without our noticing it.

Glad your posting that you listened to your guts and double checked rather than I knew there was something wrong but not what was wrong so I just went ahead with pictures of injuries.

Not many live deer "think" they smell or hear something that might be "wrong" and ignore it.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    You might consider giving up handloading and finding a activity that does not require paying attention or conscious thought.
    You don't usually get any do overs.
    Spoken like someone who has never made a mistake ?

The post shows both attention to detail and conscious thought .
    While the attention to detail came at the wrong time , the conscious thought caught the mistake before it became a problem .

If we do not make mistakes there is very little to learn from , luckily it was caught in time to be a learning experience that caused no harm .

To the op ... carry on . Something tells me you won't forget to check your notes and manuals beforehand again

Boolit Grand Master

The only thing I may think the OP did "wrong" is load up 500 rounds of an untested load. I thank the OP for sharing his mistake so mebbe someone else may not make the same mistake.

This is why I keep my manuals near my bench and write down the load I'm gonna use on a post-it and stick it to my powder measure, I've had to dump a few charges and start over...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by redneck1 View Post
    The post shows both attention to detail and conscious thought .
    It does not show attention to detail. That would require getting the load manuals out before loading and writing the load down on a piece of paper that's then kept on the bench until you're done loading that batch. This is what I do every single time. All the specifics for the load are written on a notepad. The load manual is left out and open to the correct page if the load came from one. If it came from QL the printout is on the bench. While I'm glad the OP caught the mistake. Attention to detail is not how to describe what took place.

Banned
    You did a fine job of taking what i said out of context , but thats ok .
    And as i said above , the attention to details came to late in this instance .

even though it came at the wrong time it was still there . In my opinion . But then that's my opinion , you have yours and I have mine .. the world keeps on spinning

But let's disregard all that and go back to the point i should have made , telling someone they should find a new hobby because they made a mistake .. and luckily caught it is absolutely no help what so ever .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    It does not show attention to detail. That would require getting the load manuals out before loading and writing the load down on a piece of paper that's then kept on the bench until you're done loading that batch. This is what I do every single time. All the specifics for the load are written on a notepad. The load manual is left out and open to the correct page if the load came from one. If it came from QL the printout is on the bench. While I'm glad the OP caught the mistake. Attention to detail is not how to describe what took place.
    man I do the same thing. I'll be honest, mine was powder bridging/not dropping full charges in the lee auto disk, I caught it after a few rounds during my spot checks. I couldn't verify how many of the rounds had the issue so I broke down the lot of them. A few days later the return spring snapped and I replaced it, I'm guessing that was causing the drop issues.

I stopped using unique in the lee after that and switched to hp38. Making mistakes is human I reckon

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master
    Me? I NEVER made a mistake and had to break down some loads............ If you believe that I have a really nice bridge for sale..
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

I'm betting the experience makes him a better reloader.

Boolit Master
    i want to thank all of you who have NEVER caught a mistake, then admitted to it.

you PERFECT PEOPLE who say i should give up reloading because in YOUR OPINION i'm not mentally up to the task
    and you have indeed elevated you own abillities far above mine ... you are my gods.....AND BITE ME!

i was wrong, and i should have blown myself up and died due to the misfortune of catching my mistake...i shant catch any others.

i did look in 5 manuals for loads when i came across what i thought was right ...but was indeed wrong AS I DID RE-CHECK FOR THAT LOAD BEFORE I FIRED ONE OFF!.....AND WHEN I COULD NOT FIND IT AGAIN I KNEW IT WAS WRONG...AND I PULLED EVERY ONE DOWN!

P.S. YOU BUNCH OF BUTT MUNCHS.... THERE ARE THINGS I DO AND HAVE DONE THAT YOU MOST LIKELY ON YOUR BEST DAY COULDN'T DO.

SO REVEL IN YOUR SUPERIORITY.

Thumbs up

mozeppa, I did almost exactly what you did the other day, but with a double charge of IMR 4198! Your description of an "itching" in your "think tank" is a good one as I had an uneasy feeling that something wasn't right too. I then weighed the 15 or so fully loaded cases until I came to the one which was at least 20 gr. too heavy, pulled it, dumped the powder, and recharged the case with the correct amount of powder, i.e., 24gr. 4198. As I still had that itching the next day, I weighed all 60 loaded rounds and found all was well. Glad you (and I!) caught our mistakes and are here to write about them!

Quote Originally Posted by mozeppa View Post
    i want to thank all of you who have NEVER caught a mistake, then admitted to it.

you PERFECT PEOPLE who say i should give up reloading because in YOUR OPINION i'm not mentally up to the task
    and you have indeed elevated you own abillities far above mine ... you are my gods.....AND BITE ME!

i was wrong, and i should have blown myself up and died due to the misfortune of catching my mistake...i shant catch any others.

i did look in 5 manuals for loads when i came across what i thought was right ...but was indeed wrong AS I DID RE-CHECK FOR THAT LOAD BEFORE I FIRED ONE OFF!.....AND WHEN I COULD NOT FIND IT AGAIN I KNEW IT WAS WRONG...AND I PULLED EVERY ONE DOWN!

P.S. YOU BUNCH OF BUTT MUNCHS.... THERE ARE THINGS I DO AND HAVE DONE THAT YOU MOST LIKELY ON YOUR BEST DAY COULDN'T DO.

SO REVEL IN YOUR SUPERIORITY.
    Well...mozeppa...I'm sorry you had to endure that roasting here in forum. I certainly didn't expect to see this post go south like this but...
    there seems to be a pretty low grade of reloaders ('assemblers', if you get my drift, not handloaders by a long shot!) hanging out here as of late.

The more you try to help the 'newbs' the more you end up getting it in the butt!

"Good on you for trying though...c h a r l i e"

A sad commentary on a once great forum...huh?
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

I thought only one person got nailed to a cross, I must have missed the others...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast