Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
Wideners

Thread: 3F in a 45/70 Sharps ?

Boolit Master

3F in a 45/70 Sharps ?

Anyone use 3 F in their 45/70 Sharps instead of 2 F ? Just wondering as I have a case of OE 3 F and 2 cans left of 2 F and I am not quite ready to buy another case this month . BP sure goes quick @ 65-80 grains ! Thanks for advice/experience /Ed

Boolit Grand Master

I have used 3f in 45-70, watch the velocity range closely as it may run faster it packs tighter and more to fill the case may put you above the desired range you want velocity wise. To get an idea set your measure to throw your chrge of 2f powder and then empty and throw 3 f charge with out changing settings. The same volumne of 3f will be slightly heavier than the 2 f. This can be compensated for with thicker wads or more wads, or a filler like grex, or cream of wheat. Watch the fouling and standard deviation extreme spreads on your loads and find the sweet spot in your velocity range desired

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Of course FFFg burns faster than FFg, so compress the powder charge less than you would with FFg
    Regards
    John

3Fg will probably work just fine. I say probably because different guns and bullet weights respond differently for reasons beyond my understanding. As stated, the 3Fg will give higher velocities and I have been amazed with the results I have had in .45-70 with a 530 grain bullet. A highly compressed charge of 3Fg (73 grains) gave good accuracy and demonstrably higher velocities but recoil was a bit sharper than I wanted. Use your 3Fg in confidence.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    3Fg will probably work just fine. I say probably because different guns and bullet weights respond differently for reasons beyond my understanding. As stated, the 3Fg will give higher velocities and I have been amazed with the results I have had in .45-70 with a 530 grain bullet. A highly compressed charge of 3Fg (73 grains) gave good accuracy and demonstrably higher velocities but recoil was a bit sharper than I wanted. Use your 3Fg in confidence.
    +1 I have also used it in my 45-70 with good results.

Boolit Bub
    Have had good results with Swiss 3Fg

Banned

sure, 3f will work to some degree, only yer rifle and you will find that out.

fwiw, i use swiss 3f exclusively for flintlock muzzleloaders, both down the tube and in the pan. i use swiss 1-1/2f exclusively for bpcr rifle cartridges, both ppb's and greasers. find out what works best for yer guns and you, and the tasks at hand.

Boolit Master
    It can work extremely well. In 2016 when I was at the Phoenix 1000 yard match ( 3 days of shooting, all targets at 1000 yards ), Eron Ahmer took first place using a .45-70 with Swiss 3Fg. He shot a 749-5x which is fantastic shooting in anybody's book.

Here is the load data he provided:

Eron Ahmer Browning BPCR 45-70, Green Mt. Barrel, Baldwin Sights, 68 grs. 3F Swiss, Fed GM 150, BACO 535 gr., Possum Innards Lube, .060 Poly Wad, Patched with Oil/Water

Chris.

Boolit Buddy
    Old 'E' 2F burns and looks like Goex 3F. Just darker in color.
    I ran Goex 3F for years in my .45-70 and .45-90.
    When I switch to 'E 2F, the same load ran with in 10-15 fps of the 3F Goex load.
    I only use 'E' 2F now......
    LG
    Hav'n you along-Is like lose'n 2 good men

Boolit Master
    3fg works in my .45-70's my model 86 shoots it just fine 65gr. and 420 gr. boolet .Same charge and a 525 gr. in my R.B. works fine.

Boolit Mold
    Will work fine, biggest thing I noticed between 2F was fouling was harder with 3F .

3f is all I buy in Black !! good stuff!
    Do the Best with What you have !

Boolit Mold
    Hmmmm, going back years ago, I always used Pioneer / Wano 2F, then I got hold of GOEX Cartridge powder, which was good whilst it lasted. But then Swiss powder became available, so then I bench tested, Pioneer 2F, 3F, GOEX Cartridge, Swiss 2F, and 3F - Pioneer 2F had the largest grouping, followed by 3F, then Goex, then Swiss 2F, with Swiss 3F producing the smallest group. All tests done on the same day, and same 45/70 rifle.

Boolit Bub
    I don't have a .45-70 but I use 110 grs of 3F OE in my .50-90 and it shoots very good using it.