Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dillon 550 Refurb

Dillon 550 Refurb

Came into a slightly neglected Dillon 550 (I believe an original, not a B or C). Appears to be all there.

Broke it down for shipping back to the mothership for refurb. I'm use to an SDB...but I have to say I really like the caliber change process on these bigger machines. Not that the SDB is bad...but this is better. Also, never felt "cramped" on an SDB....but now I kinda see what people are talking about...

So do I "upgrade" to the 550 when it returns or keep both and become a two Dillon family

Frosted Boolits

Yep. One set up for small primers and one set up for large primers.
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

Earlier this year I sent my 20 year old plus 550B back for a refurbish. When I opened the box, it was a pleasant surprise for sure. The only thing I could tell was part of the one I sent off, was the platen on top of the ram where the cases set. Dillon's warranty is everything they said it is.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Master
    I would keep both. I have a SD setup for 38spcl. Works perfectly. Try to load 357 and no go. I use my 650 for long runs of ammo.(45acp, 223, 30-06 for the Garand etc).

Boolit Master
    Keep both as family they will get along just fine ,my extended family does!

I have a couple of 1050's, 650's the 550 and the two SD's I have had for more than 30 years, they still work and I still use them.

Boolit Man
    650, 550 & SD here. Use em all.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IllinoisCoyoteHunter View Post
    That would be my suggestion too .
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Grand Master
    You will regret selling the SD. Best option is to have two machines. One set up for SP and one for LP.
    Don Verna

I use the SD set up for small pistol primers to reload 9mm and 38 spec. and 357 mag. My 550 is set up for large primers for my
    45acp, 44 spec. 41 mag, 44 mag. keep both of them or you will regret it if you load many rounds for different calibers.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by IllinoisCoyoteHunter View Post
    I agree with IllinoisCoyoteHunter.....it makes the process simple.....one of mine has Small on the yolk and the other has Large on it....works for me.....good luck in your hunt....
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

For those who have both an SDB and 550 do you find yourself screwing up and forgetting to advance the shell plate when transitioning from machine to machine ?

All I've known is auto-indexing (SDB) I imagine it's gonna take some time to build up the muscle memory to feel smooth on the 550....but then to switch back and forth might make my head explode

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieZoom View Post
    For those who have both an SDB and 550 do you find yourself screwing up and forgetting to advance the shell plate when transitioning from machine to machine ?

All I've known is auto-indexing (SDB) I imagine it's gonna take some time to build up the muscle memory to feel smooth on the 550....but then to switch back and forth might make my head explode
    I went the other path, 550 & added a 650 and SDB. I loaded 100 on each last Saturday. I don't have problems transitioning between. I don't rush and don't allow folks or things to distract.

Boolit Master
    Keep them both. Sooner or latter your going to want to load rifle and your SD won't do that.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Eddie , give yourself some credit . You load on one you can learn to load with the other . I've loaded with the 550 since the eighties and borrowed a Square deal before they had the "B" model of it . No problems at all , recently I ran into a deal on a Square deal and set it up for .38 .... I think I'll leave it setup that way .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Two SDB's, a 550, and my original RL 450!! You will have no problem swapping back and forth.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Press is on it's way back from Dillon !!!

They received it Tuesday, called me this morning. Added some goodies to take advantage of the return shipping.

A few things I need to clear up...which would be self-evident if I had the patience to wait for the press to arrive

1) Will the SDB strong mount work with the 550 ? They are different part #'s and appears to be 1/2 inch difference height wise. I asked the Dillon tech and he said it would work...what do you think ? Plan is to strong mount the 550 and bench mount the SDB.

2) Is it possible to attach the standard 550 loaded cartridge chute/bin to the strong mount (typically screwed to the bench) ? I'll likely buy the proper part (#11185) eventually but I was wondering if i could make it work day one.

Thanks.

Boolit Master
    How many Shekels does it cost to have a 550B refurbed? I have one that is 30 years old that could use a touch of TLC.
    [

Quote Originally Posted by AbitNutz View Post
    How many Shekels does it cost to have a 550B refurbed? I have one that is 30 years old that could use a touch of TLC.
    My USD to Shekels math is very rusty

$67.95 + Cost of shipping to them. Shipping from the east coast was ~$40. Still waiting to see the results for myself but as many have already said here, you'd swear it was new when you open the box.

Quote Originally Posted by AbitNutz View Post
    My USD to Shekels math is very rusty

$67.95 + Cost of shipping to them. Shipping from the east coast was ~$40. Still waiting to see the results for myself but as many have already said here, you'd swear it was new when you open the box.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast