RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
Titan Reloading

Thread: Versed in Winchester.22's....Remington's...not so much.

Boolit Mold

Versed in Winchester.22's....Remington's...not so much.

I'm an avid shooter of all things Winchester chambered in .22. Never really gave Remington's a second glance. Then I came across a 521-T for sale. The thing that caught my eye was the rear peep....my beloved Lyman. So needless to say I bought it.

Mine is Stamped 521-T ( no "junior special") and sports the Lyman 57 rear and 17A front. It came with a tin of inserts and I'd rate this one a strong 95% condition (I'm overly critical on grading). Haven't been to the range yet, so a few questions to you Remington experts:
    1. Standard velocity ammo? I normally shoot RWS Match.
    2. Give me the run down on this model please ( dates of production, history, etc).
    3. If I like the way it handles what's the next one I should put on my radar? ( I am familiar with the 40X)

I may become a Remington guy yet!

Sorry for long post, I'm love learning gun history.

Thank you in advance.

Boolit Master
    Now that you have come over to the other side, you need a Rem. model 37, made to compete with the Win. 52.

A side by side comparison, with pictures of targets would be interesting. Unfortunately I have neither rifle,only a rough old 512-P.

The 521 is the lowest production of the 500 series.... It should have a post front sight that is particular to this model.. a 57 RS rear sight and 1 1/4" swivels. The bolt is the same as a 513 (long handle round knob) Some have the "junior special "stamp some don't. Butt plate is also particular to this model too.. Of course if you ordered it you could get options on the sights...The CMP sold some of these and they had a lot of mixed parts. No problems with "high velocity" ammo But std will probably shoot better.

what's next for you ??? Rem 540- 40 X- Mod 37....

Boolit Master
    I hate posts like this because they remind me that I bought a 521T with the peep/globe sight system (maybe a DCM gun?) in the mid-60s for $25 and a few years later sold it for $35 and thought I'd made a killing.

Boolit Master

I learned how to shoot on a 510 single shot, so that "beehive" look to the cocking piece with the red indicator is about the most nostalgic thing on Planet Earth to me.

As is true of most of their competing products from the mid-20th Century, these Remingtons were a little more about mass production and price point where the Winchesters were a little more about finish and class. I currently have a 511 (mag fed sporter) with open sights and a Winchester 69A with a Lyman peep-globe setup. Other than the sights, functionally identical rifles. Better wood, bluing and trigger (adjustable) on the Winchester - the only flaw of the design being the riveted bolt handle which got wiggly and I replaced with a solid 1-piece unit from some Aussie outfit as I recall. The sights on the Winchester make for easier grouping on paper, but the truth is they both will shoot better than the meat puppet on the trigger is usually capable of. Match sights on a Remington will give you all the smallbore accuracy the casual participant is likely to need.

If you're comparing the higher end stuff (37 and 40X vs. Winchester 52's), again, the Winchesters are prettier, and typically set up for external adjustment optics as I'm sure you know, where the Remingtons are more likely to easily roll with modern scopes. Mechanical accuracy? My buddy and I concluded the only real advantage to his new Anschutz 1903 over my 52C was the greater adjustability to the stock. Maybe there's a lock-time edge in there somewhere, but again, the human element is the MUCH weaker link in the chain.

If you're already stocked up on RWS ammo, there's probably no reason to go shopping unless the rifle says you need to. I got hooked on Wolf Match target years ago when it was still stupid-cheap, and have felt the need to branch out to Eley during a brief stint of playing the smallbore game for real. It's AWESOME ammo, but then, so is the price. . .
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Mold
    Well, the Remington 521 shoots just fine. I took it to the range and was shooting 5 shot groups that I could cover with my thumb. Good handling rifle! You won't hear me complaining.

I plan to put it in a shoot off with my Winchester 75 and see what happens...my guess is the 75 wins that one....but we'll see.

Thanks for all the responses.

Her's my shooting buddy with his Rem 40X w/24X 2" Unertl scope(Yeah, it looks like the Hubble telescope)

http://

Boolit Mold
    That's Niiiiice! Love me some target .22's! I get some strange looks at the range when I break out the oldies...if only they knew! ������