RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any VZ52 She carbine shooters here?

Well, the experiment failed. The brass formed the shoulder but the neck is too thick and won't finish up to length without cracks. I would buy the chamber insert from Numrich if I knew it would work- but comparing the two cartriges I don't think it will and still have reloadable brass.
    It's too bad Privi won't produce this cartridge; they would sell a bunch. A million vz52s are out there somewhere......
    As for now, it's going dormant- I have other projects to pursue.
    I did discover that 6.8 SPC will fit the magazine and well enough on the bolt face to extract. Hmm.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I haven’t been on the forum much lately and I know I’m late to the party. I just finished making about 100 cases out of 6.5x56 Mannlicher Shonauer brass. A little time consuming but not too difficult at all. They chamber & extract with ease, now I have to load & shoot a few. I can post instructions if anyone likes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon. But if they mean to have a war, let it begin here." Captain John Parker at Lexington

"""WTB""" Arisaka 38 Dust cover #653.

Yes, please start a thread on it.
    Several people are interested as they have these rifles and no way to use them.

Boolit Buddy

Each piece of brass is over a dollar. Even the 6.5 MS donor brass probably is. Privi makes 8mm Kurtz for the ten people that own a Stg 44- but not 7.62x45 for the thousands of people who own a VZ52. Strange!

Boolit Master

Because Yugoslavia was using the Stg44 for years after WWII and sold those rifles to Syria/Afghanistan. So, they had production line set up for that cartridge. East Germany also used the Stg44 and produced ammo after WWII till they had enough MPi 's(AK47s). I had couple MP44s along with East German 7.92 Kruz ammo in Iraq in 03'

Yugoslavian paratrooper
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b9a51377c9732bc0bb85773fab4c5255--federal-army.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	210937

I would contact S&B and ask them to produce the cartridge, as they might have made some of the original ammo.

U.S. Corporate Headquarters – Sellier & Bellot, Magtech and MEN
    248 Apollo Drive, Suite 180
    Lino Lakes, MN 55014
    Toll Free: 800.466.7191
    Phone: 763.235.4000
    Fax: 763.235.4004
    www.sellierbellot.us

Sellier & Bellot International Corporate Headquarters
    Lidická 667, 258 13 Vlasim
    Czech Republic
    Phone: +420.317.892.492
    Fax: +420.317.892.489
    Web: www.sellier-bellot.cz
    Email: info@sellier-bellot.cz

CD
    Last edited by Combat Diver; 01-02-2018 at 11:44 PM.
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Good info Combat Diver. Thank you for that but mostly thank you for your service.

7,35 Italian brass is a little over 54 cents @ + shipping in 500 lot size at Grafs.
    I bought a few k when I was going to get my VZs going.
    That particular project got interrupted-big time!
    Good luck in the quest.
    __________________________________________________ ____________
    Don't mean that brass was a problem.
    Had house fire('08) losing $60k firearms and other personal items.
    7,62x45 kinda took back seat.
    Forming and etc were not a problem.
    I had made 7,62x39 for a ChiCom AK47 in early 70's from 6,5x45MS and 6,5 Carcano.
    Then procured some 7,62x39 brass with blank HS.
    Couldn't see reason to use 220 Swift.
    Last edited by kywoodwrkr; 01-08-2018 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Clarity of 'problem'

Boolit Bub
    Blank seems like a good idea. Better than trying to cut an extractor groove in a .220 Swift. Like Andy Griffith said, "There's more than one way to pluck a buzzard."

Any VZ52 She carbine shooters here?

I know this is LONG OVERDUE, but sometimes real life gets in the way. I loaded up about 100 rounds of 7.62X45 and am hoping they do well. I suspect they will. Here is just how I proceeded with my project. Cheers to all and I hope this works for us all.

Let me begin by giving you some background. I am a 30 year reloader and load many obsolete cartridges, many that also need to have a donor cartridge to modify for their use. Among these are Smith & Wesson 38 Top Break Revolvers, the Italian Bodeo Revolver, 577-450 Martini Henry, 10.4 Swiss Vetterli and many more.
    When I began the process of reloading for the Czech 7.62X45, I began in my usual manner of seeking out what information was available and educating myself. I learned that people were using 6.5 Carcano cases, 220 Swift cases and 6.5 Mannlicher Schonauer cases. I researched each one to see which one would be the least labor intensive to modify. I selected the 6.5X54 Mannlicher Schonauer cases because the case base was closest in diameter to the Czech case. Not owning a lathe and not having to farm out any of the work was most important to me. The donor cases were slightly larger in diameter at the base, .012 inches and almost 3/8 inches too long. So I let the work begin.
    I began by chucking up each case, mouth first into a drill press. Using a fine file, while spinning the case in the press, I easily pressed the file onto the rim of the case and began to file away a small amount of the base. I measured the case every few seconds until I removed the proper amount of material, to make the bases .438-.440 inches in diameter. After doing just a few, it became apparent about how long and how hard I would have to file each one, so the process sped up quite a bit after the first few. I then took some crocus cloth and polished up each base to make them smother. Case bases complete.
    I then cut each case neck about 1/4 inch, to get within about .100 inch of the desired length. I now needed to resize the case mouth from .65 to .762 inches as well as push the shoulder back a considerable amount. I did not want to trim to length at his point, because I had no idea how much the case length might change during the reforming process. This was going to require softening the brass and using the RCBS 7.62X45 Sizing Die Set. Purchasing this die set is not for the faint of heart, as it will set you back about $145, when you can find them in stock. Midway and Buffalo Arms are probably your best sources.
    I annealed each case to soften the brass, using a cordless drill to spin the case, while heating it with a propane torch. I heated each one until they began to turn red and then dropped them into a pan of cool water to cool them off. At this point I was able to run them back through the sizing die, just for insurance, and then trim each case to 1.770 inches, the final length.
    Finding 130 grain .310 projectiles in the proper shape is proving to be a bit of a chore, so I loaded up what I had, with data from 7.62X39. I have loaded up several batches but have yet to shoot them, but they do cycle nicely on the bench. The first batch is 23.0 Grains of IMR 4198, batch 2 is 23.5 Grains of IMR 4198 and the final batch is 24.0 grains of IMR 4198. Projectiles are Hornady Interlock SST 123 Grain bullets. Remington makes a .311 in 125 Grain which I may try next. Hopefully I can give some feedback on performance soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Yes, please start a thread on it.
    Several people are interested as they have these rifles and no way to use them.

Last edited by Trapdoor; 07-07-2018 at 09:17 PM.
    "Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon. But if they mean to have a war, let it begin here." Captain John Parker at Lexington

Name:	image1.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	223337

Left is a factory Czech round, right is a shortened 6.5X54 Mannlicher Schonauer case with the mouth already opened up to 7.62 and center is a 6.5X54 Mannlicher Schonauer case that has had the mouth expanded and the shoulder pushed back to the proper dimensions. It is still in need of finally trimming and sizing. You will also notice that the base has been narrowed.

Name:	image2.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	223338

Here are 3 finished cases, ready to be reloaded. A factory 7.62X45 round is in the rear.

Name:	image3.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	223339

Finished rounds.

Great work! I can't wait for a range report on cartridge and rifle. Thank you for posting this.

Boolit Master

At one GPC had 7.62X39 barrels for these.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123