Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Load Data

Thread: New 392 not holding air

New 392 not holding air

As some here know i've had a new 392 for a couple of months or so now.
    I've kept several drops of pell oil on the hinges and pump head every 150 to 200 shots, but it suddenly quit holding air.

I really put the oil to then, hoping it just didn't have enough in it and would "catch back up", but no luck....just blows the oil out the breech end when trying to pump it.

It's well past the 30 day return period for Pyramid Air, so i'm looking at crosman warranty work, and of course, shipping fees back and forth.
    From what i've heard, the shipping is way more than the parts would cost.

Thinking about just getting a seal kit from Pyramid and just doing it myself. I've never done it before, but i understand the process.
    It only has a year warranty anyway, so sooner or later, i'd be doing it myself anyway.
    May as well get my feet wet sooner than later?

I'm betting i'll find some "grit" in the air pump reservoir that ate a seal up, or got stuck in the valve....we'll see.

Boolit Master
    If its debris in the valve assembly you could try flushing it out with water or alcohol by squirting the pump chamber full then working the handle till you feel back pressure. If fluid comes out the muzzle its a stuck valve. If flushing doesn't work the valve stem may be bent.

I would go seal kit from PA.

Amazing how stuff all breaks right after the warranty runs out.

Your problem is one of many crossman owners have reported.
    On the flip side my old Sheridan Blue Streak is still going strong, coming up on 50 years old. Only parts replaced are the little o ring on the bolt, which are easy to find and replace.

Workmanship and Pride.

Quote Originally Posted by 35 shooter View Post
    As some here know i've had a new 392 for a couple of months or so now.
    I've kept several drops of pell oil on the hinges and pump head every 150 to 200 shots, but it suddenly quit holding air.

I really put the oil to then, hoping it just didn't have enough in it and would "catch back up", but no luck....just blows the oil out the breech end when trying to pump it.

It's well past the 30 day return period for Pyramid Air, so i'm looking at crosman warranty work, and of course, shipping fees back and forth.
    From what i've heard, the shipping is way more than the parts would cost.

Thinking about just getting a seal kit from Pyramid and just doing it myself. I've never done it before, but i understand the process.
    It only has a year warranty anyway, so sooner or later, i'd be doing it myself anyway.
    May as well get my feet wet sooner than later?

I'm betting i'll find some "grit" in the air pump reservoir that ate a seal up, or got stuck in the valve....we'll see.
    If you have a air compressor . Open the pump lever all the way . And between the plunger and the tube were air enters blow air into the tube . It might blow any trash out of the valve . If it does not work tear it down . The shipping cost to crosman is you pay to them . They pay to ship it back . They do have parts diagrams on their sight and PA might that will give you a lay out of the rifle if need be .Marvin

Boolit Master
    Here's a video tutorial on disassembly of the 392 and valve replacement.

I'm glad we have the air gun forum here on the CB site now. Lol, it's been right on time for me.
    I'm no air gun smith for sure, but i don't think i'll have much problem with this as long as i take my time and ask a question or two if i'm not sure about something.

Thanks for all the suggestions and "links"...i do have a seal kit on the way from Pyramid Air. In the meantime, i'll try the suggestions posted here.

I have watched a video on removing the air cylinder on a 392, but i'll watch the link suggested here to refresh my memory.
    From the one i watched, it looks like that one of the most important steps is getting the air cylinder perfectly lined up with the stock screw when putting it all back together. Well, that and making sure you don't bugger the o rings when inserting everything back in the main tube.

Kind of looking forward to learning how to do all of this. Just hope i don't have to pay somebody to get it all back together again lol!

does it leak as fast as you pump it or does it leak out after its pumped up. My 1400 will intermitantly leak while I'm trying to pump it up and then start working normal again. it actually seems worse when its cold and after oiling. I'm wondering if the oil is holding the one way valve open slightly at times ? I took the valve apart ( brass on the old 1400, not sure about the new benjamin ) it's quite a piece of engineering.

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

Quote Originally Posted by enfield View Post
    does it leak as fast as you pump it or does it leak out after its pumped up. My 1400 will intermitantly leak while I'm trying to pump it up and then start working normal again. it actually seems worse when its cold and after oiling. I'm wondering if the oil is holding the one way valve open slightly at times ? I took the valve apart ( brass on the old 1400, not sure about the new benjamin ) it's quite a piece of engineering.
    Enfield,

It's leaking all the air out on each pump at about halfway down on the down stroke. So, while i'm pumping, it's blowing it out at the same time.

Boolit Buddy
    Oil is a killer if it contaminates any of the seals on these airguns. I have replaced seals twice on my 397. It's a very simple rifle to work on. If you have a pin punch, small hammer, phillips screwdriver, shotgun cleaning rod, 1/4 socket set, a couple water pump pliers, and leather strips to keep the pliers from damaging the 2 pc. brass chamber, then you can replace the seals yourself (seal kit available from Pyramyd Air). Be very thorough on wiping out all oil residue from the pump tube.

Boolit Master
    As someone here informed me when I was asking about resealing my Marauder, get a tub of silicone grease. Won't hurt air rifles a bit, and it makes putting the o-rings back on without nicking them sooo much easier! Think I bought mine off Amazon, but it doesn't really matter as long as it's not petroleum based.

Good luck and let us know how you make out with it!

Boolit Master
    It's a easy fix. There is a lot of info.
    Over oiling can cause problems. Also on some new units paint gets where it should not like the pump cylinder and such. Also the muzzle gets paint in it.
    While the unit is apart it's a good time to work the trigger over. If it's not all plastic now.
    http://www.airgunsmith.com/392/triggertune.htm
    You can also find a lot of great information on the crosman forums.
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/275684 not the easiest forum to navigate

Honestly though it sounds like you might have over oiled your rifle. You only need to oil the 3 pivot points once in a great great while. Like one small drop. If you add any oil to the pump head to much of it can end up in the cylinder and cause high pressure and damage parts.
    You can pick up complete cylinders for about $15 from some of the air gun shops on the net.
    Last edited by mac1911; 08-16-2017 at 07:02 AM.

Recieved the seal kit today. Hope to get time to get started on it this Sunday.

In the meantime, my brother gave me some H&N roundballs to try in my
    1377. Only tried them out to 30 yds. so far, but they're still grouping great at that range.
    Penetration is excellent and better than anything i've tried so far. I'd love to find a mould that would drop these at .178" to .179".

Gotta get some to try in the 392 when i get it "fixed".

I have been shooting .22 round balls in my Hatsan 135. Dropped from a .22 sharpshooter mold, I do try to be pretty fussy when clipping from the sprue.

They are a snug fit in my Hatsan, I like to set them in place and tap them in with a screwdriver handle or piece of broomstick. Which pretty much flattens the sprue.

My Hatsan 135 will put 5 into one ragged hole, but I have not tried at longer distances.

I figured it for a SHTF trick to let me keep putting meat on the table. Nice not having to worry about running out of ammo.

GhostHawk,

I tried for more distance today just before dark with the round balls.
    Most of my spread at 40 and 50 yds. was verticle. 1 1/2" at 40 yds. for 5 shots, but no more than 3/4" wide with irons sights on the 1377 and my "not so good eyesight".
    It was very overcast and i do better with irons with more sunlight.

50 yds. gave me a 1 1/2" triangle group, but the next 2 went 3" low centered and cutting each other.
    Lol, i should have never taken the time to walk down and check the first 3, because that put me shooting the last 2 shots right at dark.
    I'll try it again tommorrow under better conditions. Probably need to "mike" them to keep any under size balls out of the group.

Now to get ready to take this 392 apart.

Just finished test firing the 392 after putting in the seal kit.
    Shooting better than ever.

Only obvious thing i found was the seal on the back side of the poppet stem?
    The stem that sticks out the back side of the air chamber.
    Anyway, that was eaten away where it sits against the spring, and there was a bit of grit there.
    Everything else looked good, but i replaced it all anyway, plus the pump cup.

Thanks so much for all the input everyone gave, plus the confidence boosters.
    Everything went smooth as butter, except driving the roll pins back in the pump assembly....that was a bit of a BEAR!

I actually had a good time doing it...Thanks again guys!!

Boolit Master
    Glad to hear it! Enjoy your air gun, they are tons of fun!