MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: Springfield mil spec 45acp back from the gunsmith with a new load

Springfield mil spec 45acp back from the gunsmith with a new load

I just got my Springfield Armory MilSpec back from the gunsmith with a couple of upgrades and boy did it ever make a difference.
    Upgrades were a beavertail grip safety with the requisite commander style hammer, a longer target style trigger, a flat mainspring housing, and a trigger pull reduced to 3.5 pounds.
    All other parts including the barrel and bushing are stock.
    My groups shrunk very noticeably. I was shooting about 2.5-3.0 inch groups at 12 yards. Much better than the 3.5-4 inch groups I had been shooting before the changes.
    I am shooting it very nearly as well as I am my Range Officer in 9mm.
    It is hard to describe just how much better the pistol handles with the changes. Biggest thing was the reduced felt recoil. The gun just doesn't jump as much now. It also doesn't rough up the web of my hand now either which is very nice.
    The big surprise of the day was how the load from the new boolit mold shot. I recently got a Lee TL452-200-SWC from a member and cast some boolits from it.
    I took 50 rounds loaded with 4.1 grains of WST(light load) and put all 50 of them inside a 2.5 inch circle at 12 yards. That, for me, is phenomenal.
    I have 2 other loads that shoot as well but need further testing.
    I ran over 300 rounds through the pistol today using a variety of cast boolits from 155 grains up through 230 grains with wildly different nose profiles. Lyman 452460, 452488, 452374, Lee 452-200-swc(H&G 68 clone), 452-155-swc, TL452-230-2R, TL452-200-SWC, and NOE-454-230-RN.
    No malfunctions or failures of any kind.
    It was a very good day at the range.

Boolit Master

Great news and money well spent!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Great to hear.
    Congratulations!

IMHO a pistol that you make yours to suit you is best.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Sounds like a good investment! I'm not the only fan of wst for 45 I see.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Man
    WST and 45 ACP are a match made in heaven!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

AnnieOakley
    My husband just bought the same pistol and the Lee TL 200swc mold. What is the COAL for that boolit?

Glad you got your milspec to suit you, I like my milspec pretty much stock. I've toyed with the idea of an extended thumb safety, but aint done it yet. I have about 5k rounds on mine. Had the plunger tube come loose. I bought the tool and staked it back. Had the front sight come loose, but not fly off. Staked it back with a punch. I had a chip come off my half cock notch which I noticed during an detail strip, I called and had springfield send a label to repair it, and while they had it, I had them stake the ejector, which is just glued in the newer made guns like mine. I removed the factory mainspring housing with an ed brown, but still curved. Only thing I really did was checker the front strap. That made all the difference for me.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieOakley View Post
    My husband just bought the same pistol and the Lee TL 200swc mold. What is the COAL for that boolit?
    I am loading that boolit to 1.185. It feeds great at that COAL.

Boolit Master

Maybe you've got the answer to your other thread about a long term weapon now?

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

I wouldnt pick a 1911 to be a long term weapon if replacement parts werent available. At the very least a spring pack and the detents.

Boolit Master

I'd take that a bit further Bazoo, I wouldn't pick any weapon for long term if parts weren't available. Anything can break, moving or not and I'd want to have them all on hand. Just because it's available now, doesn't mean it will be in the future.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

I'm another satisfied WST user. Currently using it in .38 Spec., .45ACP & .44 Spec. . I haven't mustered enough courage to try it in .45 Colt, so I'll keep researching.
    Good to see you have that SF personalized!

Henry

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________
    A real sport involves either gasoline or gunpowder..........anything else is just a game