MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45-70 round ball vs collar button

45-70 round ball vs collar button

Is the collar button worth the extra $$? Id like to conserve lead some and if the collar button was any good I could see maybe huntin with it. Mostly looking for a plinking boolit tho. I have yet to try either. Id like some feed back from someone who has ran both before I buy a mold. Im shooting a 1974 Marlin 1895 with a 16 1/4" barrel. Thanks
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Boolit Buddy
    I don't think that a round ball would be that accurate as there is not much area to engage the rifleing.

Agreed, but how good are the collar buttons? Thanks
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by pull the trigger View Post
    Is the collar button worth the extra $$? Id like to conserve lead some and if the collar button was any good I could see maybe huntin with it. Mostly looking for a plinking boolit tho. I have yet to try either. Id like some feed back from someone who has ran both before I buy a mold. Im shooting a 1974 Marlin 1895 with a 16 1/4" barrel. Thanks
    I only used the collar button boolit, like mentioned already the round ball just doesn't have the contact points for accuracy.

Here's a thought..... Go and ask for the boolits in the boolit exchange area located in the S&S section. Kinda like a try before you buy kinda thing, that way you'll know for sure before spending anything.

But if you ask for the collar button boolits be specific. There is actually 2 different collar button moulds, 1 NOE and a Lyman collar button, so be specific.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Moderator Emeritus

GRUMPA,
    there is actually more than two, LOL.
    besides the variations of old Lyman molds, and now the New Lyman production.
    I believe that NOE has two different weights.
    and then there is the old Lee Group Buy molds, which is what I had (I sold the mold, but only after I cast a large lot of them in pure Pb).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

And Walt Meander made mine, to add to the confusion.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    GRUMPA,
    there is actually more than two, LOL.
    besides the variations of old Lyman molds, and now the New Lyman production.
    I believe that NOE has two different weights.
    and then there is the old Lee Group Buy molds, which is what I had (I sold the mold, but only after I cast a large lot of them in pure Pb).
    How did the Lee GB mold perform? I have the mold but have never used it. Would like to just for kicks.
    John
    W.TN

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    How did the Lee GB mold perform? I have the mold but have never used it. Would like to just for kicks.
    for 45-70? I got no idea?

I bought it for a Ruger Old Army...poor performer...but I found it worked better putting it in the cylinder upside-down (flat side out)...but even then, it performed worse than round ball.

I've never owned a 45-70, but I had that feeling that someday I would, so I cast a bunch in soft lead, for possible future shooting with BP in a future owned 45-70...just in case. Then I sold the mold.

I have since, bought a Ruger #3 in 45-70...I have yet to shoot it or load for it. But, I have bought a 405 mold and cast some for it, I even seated some for dummy rounds to find a COAL. ...to be continued...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    There is no reason to not use round balls and if properly loaded they will do fine for plinking or small game.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    for 45-70? I got no idea?

I bought it for a Ruger Old Army...poor performer...but I found it worked better putting it in the cylinder upside-down (flat side out)...but even then, it performed worse than round ball.

I've never owned a 45-70, but I had that feeling that someday I would, so I cast a bunch in soft lead, for possible future shooting with BP in a future owned 45-70...just in case. Then I sold the mold.

I have since, bought a Ruger #3 in 45-70...I have yet to shoot it or load for it. But, I have bought a 405 mold and cast some for it, I even seated some for dummy rounds to find a COAL. ...to be continued...
    I never thought of using it in the Old Army. I have one but now I don't have to bother to try the collar button in it.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Miha made mine in a Group Buy here.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Read the whole string here:
    https://thefiringline.com/forums//sh...d.php?t=560894
    45-70 Grouse Gun -- the short Collar-Button answer is "yes"
    ... with a picnic plate trick
    Last edited by mehavey; 08-15-2017 at 06:24 PM.

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    I shoot a NOE CB in my 45-70 Marlin 1895 26"
    Cast 97/3 and unsized it's a tackdriver with 12 grains of TrailBoss (1340fps'ish), and a hoot to shoot

Boolit Bub
    Haven't tried a round ball, but my new Lyman collar button is a sweet shooter in my Marlin guide gun. Based on the responses so far it sounds like you would not regret either.

Boolit Master
    If you want to try some, Western Bullet Co. makes both and are reasonable priced.
    Western Bullet CO makes both style. Check them out. A cheap way to try them out.

Boolit Master
    How do you lube the round ball when loading in 45-70? Just tumble some LLL on the ball? Load the ball right at the end of brass, about half in just enough to hold ball in brass?

Boolit Master
    I've shot both from my H&R Buffalo Classic. Found the round ball to be better with super light loads of Unique is tin can accurate at about 25 yds. Sounds like a cap gun and blows right thru both sides of the can.

Quote Originally Posted by ewlyon View Post
    Haven't tried a round ball, but my new Lyman collar button is a sweet shooter in my Marlin guide gun. Based on the responses so far it sounds like you would not regret either.
    I have been eyeballing a new lyman on Amazon but cant tell if its pointy or round. What number is yours and is it flat? Thanks
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Boolit Bub
    It is the #457130 that they have on Midway. I don't have one in front of me right now but I think the tip is relatively rounded. The mold did not disappoint but an aluminum version would be nice because the small cavities do not let the mold heat up quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by mehavey View Post
    Read the whole string here:
    https://thefiringline.com/forums//sh...d.php?t=560894
    45-70 Grouse Gun -- the short Collar-Button answer is "yes"
    ... with a picnic plate trick
    Thanks!!!
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast