Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: Anybody ever Manliccher stocked a Savage 340?

Banned

Anybody ever Manliccher stocked a Savage 340?

I got to thinking about this while looking at one of mine. Actually, the Stevens 322 already has the butter knife handle. Even though it has that detachable magazine at the balance point, they are short and handy and already set up for barrel bands, which seems like it would make it work better than a conventional bolt action.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    A Mannlicher doesn't have barrel bands.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned

No, maybe not, but since the rifle is already designed to have things hanging from the barrel forward of the recoil lug and it works OK, the ones I have worked with have been good shooters, it might work better with a full length stock than most.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    I always loved the look of the Manlicchers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I believe that it is Mannlicher or something like that, the big attraction to the ML is the butter smooth action.

Boolit Master
    Never thought about that, bet it would look good too. Post pics when done! Todd/3leg

Boolit Master
    Have always liked the look of the Mannlicher stocks. I have a Garand dressed in a Mannlicher.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master
    Hmmm. Interesting concept, Rich. I gave passing thought to altering a 340 once. I wanted to slim the height of the action so as to allow for a more svelte look. I even contemplated what it would take to shorten the magazine in order to accomplish that (not impossible IMO). What threw me was the trigger group. I still wonder if it could be done.

I would think that the height of the wood at the action would need to be shortened, so that a graceful fore end can transition out to the tip. That is where so many home-built full stocks fall short. For a full stock to work it needs some subtle reverse camber in the stock line from the floor plate out to the tip, both looking at it from the side and looking down from the top. (Take as much wood off as you dare, then take another 1/4 pound off and be prepared to take off some more.) So many turn out looking like a brown 2x4, and feel as good as one in the hand. That would be hard to accomplish with a 340 without slimming the action height first. To not accomplish that would be to end up with a gun that resembled a tadpole.

Still in all, I think your idea has merit. Labors of love take many forms!

Banned

Well, not sure I'll ever get to it. I happen to like the little 340s. Maybe when I retire completely and have a bunch of idle time, just a little surprised it hasn't been done before, I couldn't find where anybody had ever done it when I googled around images and such.

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    A Mannlicher doesn't have barrel bands.
    I guess that's why Sako called theirs the Carbine. You could do something similar to yours and it might look good. The Sako had a barrel band with a dovetail joint underneath.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Years ago I bought a Ruger 77 International carbine.
    I liked the Full Stock look so much I made a full length stock for a Spanish Mauser Carbine and a MN Chinese 53 with the bayonet attachment removed.
    So I dont see why the Savage wouldnt look great with a full length stock.
    For the nose caps on the two I built, I made a form , then a mold and cast the nose cap out of old Zinc Wheel Weights.
    Cheaper than using Pewter, and much easier thsn making it out of Brass or Steel

Boolit Bub
    I have modified several Savage 340 style rifles to remove the barrel band. Simply weld a small extension, at an angle, to the rear of the receiver. Drill and tap it for a longer rear guard screw. Then drill and pillar bed the rear and front guard screws, and lightly bed the edges of the action.
    The result is a huge increase in accuracy, no barrel band, and a rock solid bedding job.
    This will enable you to restock in Mannlicher style, if you so desire. You will need to create a end cap, or fit one from Brownells or Midway, to finish out your restock.
    These rifles can be very accurate, if you modify them accordingly.
    re

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Red Elk View Post
    I have modified several Savage 340 style rifles to remove the barrel band. Simply weld a small extension, at an angle, to the rear of the receiver. Drill and tap it for a longer rear guard screw. Then drill and pillar bed the rear and front guard screws, and lightly bed the edges of the action.
    The result is a huge increase in accuracy, no barrel band, and a rock solid bedding job.
    This will enable you to restock in Mannlicher style, if you so desire. You will need to create a end cap, or fit one from Brownells or Midway, to finish out your restock.
    These rifles can be very accurate, if you modify them accordingly.
    re
    I have a .222 one that a former owner re stocked and eliminated the barrel band. I still have yet to pull it out of the stock and check to see if it's been modified such. I'd heard or people doing this to them.