Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: Coating a bit thin

Coating a bit thin

Dry tumble with smokes powders. Using a cool whip #5 container and dumping into a wire mesh basket the into the oven. Coverage is pretty good but its like I can see the grey lead through the color of the paint???

Maybe try adding more paint to the tub? I put one tbl spoon in at first but I have done quite a few boolits already. This was when I was picking them out one at a time. Maybe I just don't have enough paint in there?

I can live with the few little bare marks left by the wire mesh and they still pass the smash test they just look a bit thin.

Anyone else ever have this happen?
    Waco
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Banned

Walter.
    measure the before and after.

putting more powder in the container will help some if you can get it to stick.
    but if your gaining .002 [.001 thick coating] your getting the right amount on there.

Thanks Lamar. Will do.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Boolit Master

sometimes what look like bare spots are just spots without color pigment, but the coating is still covering everything.

Boolit Master

If you are using HF red, that is normal. They are coated, but the pigment doesn't spread evenly and it looks like it isn't well coated even when it is.

I'm using Smoke's powder. I just measured a few boolits and I'm getting anywhere from .001"-.002" bigger diameter over as cast boolits.
    I'm sure the proof will be in the pudding so to speak....

Are you using BBs? I have no issues with Smokes powders & black or green BBs. 30-45sec of swirl & into the baskets for baking. I do pluck them out though.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Banned
    It would help if we knew what color you were using, each color acts a little differently.

Vendor Sponsor

Couple of things to look at .. If its a bright color its harder to get a solid coat as the lead is a lot darker .. Think of a black wall and trying to do a single coat of say yellow or white
    the black will show thru ..
    as long as when you look at the thin spots you see a gloss/shine you are good to go .. the clear base has coated the bullet
    of course shooting a few will tell you everything you need to know

keep us informed
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    Couple of things to look at .. If its a bright color its harder to get a solid coat as the lead is a lot darker .. Think of a black wall and trying to do a single coat of say yellow or white
    the black will show thru ..
    as long as when you look at the thin spots you see a gloss/shine you are good to go .. the clear base has coated the bullet
    of course shooting a few will tell you everything you need to know

keep us informed
    Okay! This makes sense.The yelloy/green was the color in question. Thanks guys.

Okay. So I just tried Smoke's Jet Black two different ways. Once without any ASBB's and once with. Same method. #5 Cool Whip container swirled vigorously for about 30 seconds then shaken hard up and down for 30 seconds.
    Then dumped gently into my wire mesh basket. Lightly sifted and put into a single layer. 400 for 20 min then into water.
    They almost all have big chunks of paint missing from them. I have never had this problem picking them out one at a time.
    Any tips?
    Thanks.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I take mine out one at a time after swirling and bounce them in an empty container to get the excess off. Some times I have to swirl for thirty seconds and check them and then swirl again, Check, and swirl again. I've had to swirl mine three or four times or more some days until I get 100 % coverage and other days it takes one 30 sec swirl. I think it depends on how much humidity is in my house that day.

I use smokes powder too and it works great. Get some of his clear, It completely coats in like 10 swirls, smooth as glass and you don't have to worry about missing paint spots.

I've found if I turn my air or heat on in the house for a half hour I get better coating. I think it takes the humidity out of the room.

I buy new #5 Tupperware at the dollar store. Tried a cool whip container and it didn't cover as good. I figured there was some grease or something else contaminating my powder causing it not to stick.

I use smokes BBs as well.

I've never tried dumping them all in a basket at once but I have had one or two fall over in mine and it knocks the paint off.

If you want to make them pretty pick them out one at a time, bounce the excess off in another Tupperware container, and stand them up. I use a little mini needle nose that has a spring on the handle and pick up around the base. It's time consuming but worth it to me.

This is his red. I swirled two or three times to get them perfect
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	201974

My yellow green...zombie killers, goes on kinda molted for me as well. The light blue and clear covers the best for me.

You can see some of my purple is molted too but there is clear PC coverage in that spot. I think my new favorite it clear since it covers best and smoothest.

Views:	22 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	201975
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 08-15-2017 at 11:01 PM.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

Views:	28 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	201976

Here is the clear. The boolits look banged up but the clear fills in all the scratches. Shows you what is done when swirling. I swirl one at a time after this and the boolits look like a picture

Banned

I have seen the basket method but I don't use it.
    I pick each bullet up with a nitrile gloved hand and give them a little roll between thumb and forefinger and stand them up on the tray.
    I do a batch of 4 to 500 at a time [2 trays] and it takes about 1/2 hr to stand them all up.
    [I'm standing them while the other batch is cooking]
    yeah,,, it's a little time consuming, but I get repeatable consistent coverage so I'm fine with it taking a little longer.

Boolit Master

glad you have a method that works for you runfiverun

I was using hemostats to pick mine out but gently dumping them in the mesh basket is my new best way

I can fill the basket in about a fourth of the time it took me to pull them out singly and that's a plus for me.

PC is more of an art than science and it seems each of us has developed a slightly different method that works for us.

Now if it would drop below 107° heat index so I could work outside...
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Banned

I'd love to do the basket method.
    I just can't bring myself to doing it.
    I can barely bring myself to powder coating because of the time it takes.
    but if I'm gonna do it I want it as close to perfect as I can get.