Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: Tight Lubersizer Die?

Boolit Master

Tight Lubersizer Die?

I just got a Lyman 45, but I'm having a small issue with it I can't quite figure out. The die is stubborn and will not seat fully in the press. I'm new to lubersizers, but those dies are supposed to more or less drop in and seat flush with just a little pressure right? The die will go in with finger pressure until about 1/4" to 3/8" of it is sticking out. I can get it to move just a little further by using the press, but everything from the groove on the die (the one below to O ring) and up is still exposed. I know these presses can be a little fragile, so I don't want to put too much pressure on the arm.

I cleaned the heck out of the press and the die, and gave everything that moves a good lubing. It didn't seem to help the issue. The die I'm using is an older Lyman die. It's the one with the 4 lube holes on each side of the die. Any suggestions?

Boolit Master
    The die

How far it will go down with finger pressure. It will only go maybe another 1/8" in if I use the press.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Is the stop adjustment backed out below the die ?
    One who does nothing makes no mistakes.

Boolit Master
    Yes. It doesn't make contact with the die at all.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I'm thinking there's gunk in the bottom of the die channel. It doesn't take much at all in the slanted area at the bottom where it seats and it won't go all the way down. It has to be clean and I mean really clean, in my 45s.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Moderator Emeritus

The Die doesn't "seat" on the top of the die hole.
    The bevel on the bottom of the die "seats" against the bottom of the Die hole.
    I bet there is some crud on the inside beveled area, where the Die is suppose to mate to.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Stick a heat gun on the sizer body and melt the old lube out, put a cardboard box under it to catch the melted lube, then press the die in with your thumb, it'll go.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    I'm thinking there's gunk in the bottom of the die channel. It doesn't take much at all in the slanted area at the bottom where it seats and it won't go all the way down. It has to be clean and I mean really clean, in my 45s.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    The Die doesn't "seat" on the top of the die hole.
    The bevel on the bottom of the die "seats" against the bottom of the Die hole.
    I bet there is some crud on the inside beveled area, where the Die is suppose to mate to.
    I can't tell if there's any crud. I've boiled the whole body to get all the old lube out, I've used a brass wire brush in a drill on the bottom of the housing where the die seats, and I've even tried lightly sanding with 320 grit. Nothing. I'll see if I can get some pictures of the inside of the lubersizer tomorrow.

I can get the die to seat, BUT it's not a method I want to do all the time because it's a PITA to do. I used a wood block and a rubber mallet. A few taps and it went in. I had to take the lubersizer apart and use a steel punch to get it back out. It will go in, it just requires more force than I'm comfortable putting on the handle.

This is how far it goes after using the press to push down on it. The die measured at 0.703" in diameter BTW if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    Stick a heat gun on the sizer body and melt the old lube out, put a cardboard box under it to catch the melted lube, then press the die in with your thumb, it'll go.
    I tried that first, but it's still too tight.

polish the lower end of the die with water proof sand paper or use a fine cut file on the out side diameter, leave the taper as is.

Boolit Master

Never had a Lyman die that was a problem but I did get a new RCBS die that would no go in my 45 or 450. Hand to give it the emery treatment until it fit.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by billyb View Post
    polish the lower end of the die with water proof sand paper or use a fine cut file on the out side diameter, leave the taper as is.
    That worked. I sanded it just a little, and it's amazing how much of a difference that made. Thanks!

Boolit Grand Master

Stacking tolerances. Lubsizer at the smallest acceptable size and die at the largest acceptable size and this is what happens. Easier to adjust the die than the sizer.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!