Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cast boolit consistently in rifles with hard VS soft lead

Banned

well if you think that you might as well go ahead and quit then.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    I'm courious to see if my most accurate load with lil gun will be at the same velocity as my best group with H110.

Have you booliteers found that cast boolits are more accurate at a specific velocity or is the powder chosen a bigger factor?

What I'm asking is if my most accurate load with 35.5g H110 leaves my muzzle at 2000fps will another powder charge, say 33.5g of lil gun That leaves my muzzle at the same 2000 fps velocity will give me the most accurate results for the new powder tried? Im wondering if a boolit itself is more accurate at a specific speed with a certain twist or if it's up to the proifiency of the powder burn?
    I think it's a combination of both, adequate spin to keep it on trajectory but not so much that the down leg portion prevents it from coming in nose first, nose down toward target. Overspinning I think they want to remain level on trajectory and when they cut paper they appear to be keyholing to some extent.
    I think using the slowest power possible with a heavy weight for example...is to try to accelerate the cast as gently as possible...if you can even equate or imagine anything in the barrel as being gentle. Bringing the cast up in speed slower as it engraves helps prevent skidding that might widen the land engraving and potientially allowing gassing.
    I think our PC coatings not only provide lubrication but also allow us to shoot a softer cast than we could shoot if we were greasing...especially the plain base cast that might vaporize from an extremely hot powder and deposit Pb in compensators or silencers.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Rcmaveric I suspect your onto something sir.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcmaveric View Post
    I don't think its a speed limit. More like an RPM limit. I want to experiment with a different barrel and twist rate. Different powders and seating depths let us control pressures. I think RPM is now my limiting factor. Pressures were why I couldn't get over 1650 fps, taking my bullets out of the lands greatly dropped pressures. Now I think its RPM is my limiting factor.
    Was reading about that in the Lee book I bought yesterday Waco recommended. But your boolit has to be pushed to a specific velocity to obtain RPMs so I think it is hand in hand? So if two boolits pushed with two different powders at the the same speed would create the same RPM...would they not?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    someone is finally asking some real questions.
    I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread......
    Yes indeed. I love theory.

Banned

rpm is just the barrel spinning the bullet.
    1-10 is 1-10 all the way to the paper.
    I get instability with a 1-7 if I go too slow.