WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ben's Red for lubersizer?

Boolit Master

Ben's Red for lubersizer?

How well does Ben's Red Lube work in a lubersizer. I have a Lyman 45 on the way and I plan on getting one of those magnetic engine heaters to act as a lube heater. Should I be pretty much good to go?

Boolit Bub
    am44mag- If you've stayed with Ben's recipe wouldn't need a heater except if you're working in 40 deg or below temps. Ben's Red is a softish lube. I use it in a lyman 450. Haven't had any problems heat wise until temp is 40 deg or below. Then a droplite with a 60w bulb, and in 10min or less, lube flow is much better. One caution Too much heat or heat Too long you'll have a mess.
    bushman

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AKbushman49 View Post
    am44mag- If you've stayed with Ben's recipe wouldn't need a heater except if you're working in 40 deg or below temps. Ben's Red is a softish lube. I use it in a lyman 450. Haven't had any problems heat wise until temp is 40 deg or below. Then a droplite with a 60w bulb, and in 10min or less, lube flow is much better. One caution Too much heat or heat Too long you'll have a mess.
    bushman
    Sounds good to me. I'll hold off on the heater for now and just use it as is. I've never used a lubersizer before, and I wasn't sure just how soft the lube had to be to actually work in one. Thanks!

Boolit Grand Master
    It's about all I use in my Lyman 450.

Boolit Master

Ben's Red is what I use in a Lyman. No issues at all during warmer weather. I do run the heater a bit in the winter to soften the lube, just so I don't have to put as much pressure on the piston system. Spring, summer and fall Ben's Red flows well enough without a heater. Brad

Boolit Grand Master

It's a soft lube and only requires heat if it's cold and your bench is in a unheated space. I use a shop light on the rare cold day that I need to size/lube with my Lyman 450.
    If you heat it in an old coffee pot you can pour it into the lube reservoir , the spout makes it easy.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master
    I'd love to have a $1.00 for every 1/2 pound of Ben's Red that has gone through lube-sizers since the formula was shared with casters many years ago !

Ben

Boolit Master
    Ben, it's the best thing since sliced bread. Just a shame you can't spread it on bread !

Am44, If nessary I warm the lubesizer with a small hairdryer, metal just warm to touch. Give a few mins for the heat to transfer inside to lube.
    As mentioned TOO MUCH heat will be no good. You will catch on fast. Ben's red is good stuff !

Mike

While waiting on your 45 to arrive, you might want to watch you tube videos on lubing with Lyman 45 and 450 and rcbs lube sizer. Lots of great info here too plus you learn from OUR mistakes.
    I don't think there are any videos on REMOVING Ben's red from carpet yet ? ( To much heat)
    Set up and adjusting for different size boolits etc...

Keep us posted on your success.
    Last edited by myg30; 08-14-2017 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Add info

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    I'd love to have a $1.00 for every 1/2 pound of Ben's Red that has gone through lube-sizers since the formula was shared with casters many years ago !

Ben
    You would be a very rich man Ben!

Boolit Grand Master
    Buddy,

It has been a " great ride " for many of us.
    The lube has done everything I've ever asked it to do.

Ben

In Remembrance

Anyone that has made up a batch knows how much there is as a final product. I find it hard to believe that I have made 3 batches in a little over 3 years. Of course I must add the fact I have friends that `borrow`.Robert

I have seen adhesive stick on heating elements on amazon, in all different sizes, I have thought bout getting one and sticking it around the resivoir, I don't remember how they are wired though? you should check those out, I have an engine block heater, and very little of it would actually touch the lubrisizer, it is really made for a flat surface only.
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Master
    The Lyman/ rcbs lubesizer factory heater is only 15 watts @120vac I believe. The light bulb, hair dryer, clothes iron (adjustable temp) on an extended plate that that sizer is mounted to are all quick simple cheep ways to WARM the lubesizer if it EVEN NEEDS it.
    Bens lube like mensioned many A time won't even need heat unless your in a 50 degree temp room or garage/ basement area.
    IF YOU APPLY HIGH HEAT for a short time, the area closest to the hot spot will turn liquid to fast and you will find lube coming out of places you never thought leaked before.
    A 1/2" thick plate with a hole drilled into it and an element from a 15w soldering iron is placed into it, then the sizer placed on top of that and bolted down will give you plenty of heat if you even need it.
    2 mins with a hair dryer blowing around the sizer is plenty and just warms it enough.

Mike

Boolit Buddy
    Ive lubed several 38/357, 40 and 45 bullets with Ben's Red in a Lyman 45 without any problems. In the winter my reloading room can get down to about 40, but I turn the heat up to 50 when I am in there. Haven't had to apply any extra heat to the sized yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Yep ! , another user with the "combo" 45 and ben's red ....
    it is all i have been using along with the 'BLL" on my rifle rounds ...
    Have two lyman 45s , one for rifle and one for my pistol ... both with bens in them and they work great .
    Winter gets a bit cold in my man cave so I use a homemade plate heater that works very well with the 45's .
    It is much easier to fool people ,
    than to convince them they have been fooled !

If you can read this , thank a teacher ...
    If you can read this in English , .. thank a Vet !

I've used Bens Red right down to 10*F from my RCBS lubrisizer, in an unheated barn during the winter. Any colder and I'd want that heater for my hands!
    A deplorable that votes!

Boolit Buddy
    Gotta love
    Ben's Red!!!! Thanks again Ben.well that didn't go as planned. Lol Ben's Red is supposed to be in red font.
    In regards to shooting safety.Until you are ready to fire, keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

Boolit Grand Master
    You are VERY welcome.
    ENJOY ! !

Ben

Boolit Buddy
    Chiming in. Just bought a LAM about a month ago. Up until now I have pan lubed & dipped with Ben's Red. Now that I have a lube a matic I used pvc as a mold and filled it with Ben's Red. Works great on a .30 bullet. That's all I have lubed so far. I do seem to turn the screw that compresses the lube more than I thought I would have to. I thought maybe a turn every few bullets but what I am seeing is a slight twist every bullet. I'm in an spare bedroom so temps are usually between 65-75. I'm thinking Ben's Red is a mighty fine lube for my lube a matic.
    USAF (Retired) 1985-2005

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm thinking you are RIGHT !!!!!!!!!!

Ben

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast