Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Wideners
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Do you fully agree with your church's doctrine?

Boolit Master

For the past almost 60 years the study of Christianity has dominated my life. I am a retired Minister with Churches of Christ/Christian churches. There are upwards of 42,000 different denominations of Protestantism and Catholicism, splinter groups from the various major denominations. In I Corinthians 1:10 the Apostle Paul exhorted the followers of Jesus Christ at Corinth to "have the same mind and to speak the same thing." If we fail to saturate our minds with the Word of God, only one thing can happen: We are not going to be of the same mind (I. e., thinking the same way), nor will we be speaking the same thing (teaching the same doctrine). Shiloh said it well. If you want the straight stuff, just the Word of God, find the nearest Church of Christ/Christian Church (not Disciples of Christ). These folk are doing their best to restore New Testament Christianity by speaking only where the Bible speaks, being silent where the Bible is silent. In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty (your opinion is just as good as mine); in all things charity or love. That sounds like the right way to go. In John 17 Jesus prayed that His followers would be ONE in order that the world might be WON to Him. The only way we can answer Jesus' prayer is to be united on the Bible as our sole source of authority. If we are willing to do that, the 42,000 denominations will disappear and as a united, powerful entity we will be able to sway the world for Jesus Christ. Otherwise, the status quo will continue and only worsen as it has over the past few centuries. It is our choice. It is not my intention to knock anyone around verbally, but at some point we must decide what is our final authority. If that authority is not the Bible, than anything goes and division rules. Big Boomer
    Last edited by Big Boomer; 11-22-2017 at 11:24 AM. Reason: correction

I don't believe a divorced person is ineligible for a church leadership role.
    Paul stated it was 'best' for disciples to NOT be married, but several were. Scripture states to have 'one' wife. Divorce was given to fight against polygamy. There are a few denominations that DON'T teach doctrine that is contrary to scripture. It's getting worse. That is the 'corrupt' church, just like the synagogue in Jesus time.
    Whatever!

Banned
    Ickisrulz,

I'm a Southern Baptist & our denomination has NO doctrine.

We are a LOOSE conglomeration of Protestant local churches, that are as different as chalk & cheese.

Some congregations are VERY liberal & some are VERY conservative religiously/politically.
    (Until I started losing my hearing & could no longer "carry a tune in a tow-sack" , I used to sing at many SBC churches in AR, LA, MS, OK, TN & TX. NO two congregations seemed to be alike.)

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 01-15-2018 at 09:50 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I was raised Seventh Day Adventist. My mother converted when I was 1, and I'm almost 68 now. I no longer believe in many, if not most, of their doctrines. Not since I started looking everything up for myself.
    The SDA Church has an extra Biblical source that they use. I was always taught that it was used in addition to the Bible. Nowdays, many want to use those writings in place of the Bible, or above the Bible.
    I'm no longer convinced on the Biblical soundness if the author's writings, which usually gets me in trouble in the church when I use the Bible, and only the Bible, as my source.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Boomer View Post
    In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty (your opinion is just as good as mine); in all things charity or love. Big Boomer
    I was wondering if you realize that is a quote from John Wesley sermon entitled "Catholic Spirit"?
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Shortly after I became a Christian and headed off to Seminary a wise mature Christian told me "Always remember, my younger brother that theology is not God. It is just man talking about God!".

Forty seven years later, I still remember what he said and all my experience has proven him to be correct. Most theology falls into thee categories, 1) The musings of idle minds, 2) A form of arrogance that causes people to think they can actually organize God, 3) Attempts to control people with chains of 1 and 2 above.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Boomer View Post
    For the past almost 60 years the study of Christianity has dominated my life. I am a retired Minister with Churches of Christ/Christian churches. There are upwards of 42,000 different denominations of Protestantism and Catholicism, splinter groups from the various major denominations. In I Corinthians 1:10 the Apostle Paul exhorted the followers of Jesus Christ at Corinth to "have the same mind and to speak the same thing." If we fail to saturate our minds with the Word of God, only one thing can happen: We are not going to be of the same mind (I. e., thinking the same way), nor will we be speaking the same thing (teaching the same doctrine). Shiloh said it well. If you want the straight stuff, just the Word of God, find the nearest Church of Christ/Christian Church (not Disciples of Christ). These folk are doing their best to restore New Testament Christianity by speaking only where the Bible speaks, being silent where the Bible is silent. In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty (your opinion is just as good as mine); in all things charity or love. That sounds like the right way to go. In John 17 Jesus prayed that His followers would be ONE in order that the world might be WON to Him. The only way we can answer Jesus' prayer is to be united on the Bible as our sole source of authority. If we are willing to do that, the 42,000 denominations will disappear and as a united, powerful entity we will be able to sway the world for Jesus Christ. Otherwise, the status quo will continue and only worsen as it has over the past few centuries. It is our choice. It is not my intention to knock anyone around verbally, but at some point we must decide what is our final authority. If that authority is not the Bible, than anything goes and division rules. Big Boomer
    Hear Hear!

Banned

I doubt anyone other then a brain washed cult member believes EVERYTHING the church he attends stands without question. I think God gave me a brain to question. I think myself like many here attend the church the grew up with or the church that most closely follows there beliefs.

Lloyd is right. You’d have to be pretty blind to buy the whole farm.
    ALL religion has SOMETHING wrong. That’s why the Bible says you’re saved by grace.

It’s all just a guess and a feeling that a clean conscience guides you to.
    I mean no one has heard (physically) a word from the man in thousands of years.
    Moses had a clear idea of what God wanted. The rest of humanity take a lot on faith.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Boolit Buddy

I started going to church again about two years ago, went to a non denominational church. I left that church because it turned extremely liberal when they hired a new pastor. I was raised southern baptist. I have gone back to the baptist church, at 70 years of age will stay there until the end. JMHO

Rafe
    If there is nothing in your life worth dying for than you are already dead.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234