Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
Wideners

Thread: homeade flea control

Boolit Buddy

homeade flea control

Anybody have a home made flea control for a inside dog. Can't find the one I saw here I thought that uses Dawn dish soap. My wife rescued a Maltese female and I don't like inside pets,but she is the sweetest lap dog I have ever seen and won my heart. All she wants is food,water and to be near you and will lay quietly by you until she needs to go outside.Well maybe she lays on me sometimes(Am I getting soft in my old age?) Would appreciate any recipes as we live in the boonies and trips to the CITY are only on demand for specifics.Thanks Oily

You could try putting garlic in her food for a while, as well as putting cinnamon in her fur. Just spitballing, but that would be where I'd start.

Moderator Emeritus

Dont have a homemade remedy...we go to the vet and pay the price for the 3 month pill.....the cost is the same as if you use the monthly treatment pill .... just saves you a trip and it really works......good luck Oily....they will worm their way into your heart.....we didnt even know that we had a white male cat until he walked by us....had bite and laid down on the floor....sometimes in my lap for the cat nap......that soft heart is catching!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master

Plant mint where she comes in and out, so that she has to walk through it both ways. Amazingly, it works, at least for cats.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Banned
    You can dust the yard with tobacco dust it will kill any bug in the yard just be careful and don't let the cat out until you wet the yard down or it rains cats lick their paws and tobacco dust is poison to you and the cat so wear a respirator and wash those clothes separate from the others. Inside just use a insect bomb and then you are done for at least a few months. I do this about 3 times a year one thing tobacco dust will wipe out your tomato plants in a heartbeat and any other sensitive plants too.

Boolit Master
    Don't use garlic as it can be bad for certain dogs. I was a volunteer foster home for the American bull mastiff association and I have classes in entomology, and worked in the business so a have had a lot of experience with fleas. I've tried many home remedies. They can work in a pinch, but the problem is they don't interrupt the lifecycle. Fleas lay eggs the are not effected ( insect eggs are extremely tough to kill even with pesticides). You have to treat everything your dog laid on! Wash all bed clothes in hot water( there's and yours if the dog lays on your bed) and carpets. You can treat carpets with borax. Sprinkle it on the carpet, let it sit for a couple hours then vacuume. It is very important that you retreat in a week!!! That's when the eggs hatch. As for treatment for the dog, I don't recommend home remedies. I have not had any luck with them. There is a online company named "Jeffers " I don't have there website site info but it's not hard to find. They have just about anything for animals. I used to order vaccines, flea treatment, you name it! Shipping was great, easy to deal with.
    I wish you good luck,
    Feel free to pm me if you have any questions you think I can help with.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    A friend of mine used fresh eucalyptus leaves scattered around the house. The trick with Dawn is to place a reading lamp over the Dawn nfused water. The theory is the fleas will jump into the water and as the Dawn breaks the surface tension they will drown. I have tried it before and it will work, but you will be better off getting a pill from the vet.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Grand Master

I feed the daughters Huskie Hormel chilli and hard boiled eggs while shes at work. Doesn't do any thing for feas but His farts really annoy her LOL.

We always heard that if you rub an orange on them the fleas will leave. Don't know why but it seams to work, at least Molly gets rid of them after Blanche rubs one on her.
    Rob

The breeder where I got my labs, says she rubs coconut oil on their fur and gives them a spoonful with their food occasionally. She said the fleas and ticks cant breathe through their skin with the oil on them and die. The oil is a medium chain fat and the dogs love it, so it wasn't a problem to get them to eat it. Have to work up to a tablespoon for the food.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for all the replies. Forgot about the topical drops. They are pretty cheap and my neighbors say they work great. Will try them and check her in a week or so. Thanks Oily

Boolit Master
    I really recommend Barveto. One pill once every 3 months. It's a little costly but well worth it. Works on ticks too.

Boolit Master
    We got some rather pricey drops for our cat. Didn't help at all. Had to get the three month pill. Kitty is fine now.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Attachment 202028Attachment 202029My inside dog gets a shower with me every other week. Dual scrub if he has been scratching. First one with homemade lye soap, second one with Johnson's baby shampoo. Beds get washed, dried same day.

Coming up on 4 years I have had this little guy and this has worked for us.
    No issues, I did do a flea collar for a month when we first got him, just cause.

My guy is a half Chihuahua half Pomeranian bundle of joy. Weighs 12 to 14 lbs.

Boolit Master

It isn't exactly safe. But once when poor I had a bad flea problem. I got the dust for inside the house. Then turn the ac down and took shallow pans of water with a few drops of dish soap. Put a candle in the pan lit and go to bed. Fleas will jump at the candle because of the heat, miss and go into the water. Surface tension from the soap will cause them to sink and drowns. The dust will kill the eggs and nymphs. Vacuuming twice s day will cause their cocoons to hatch. I am only google certified, but my understandings is their pupae cocoons are impervious. The vibration from vacuuming makes them hatch.

I will second the pills also. Works wonders if you can afford it. I have noticed though the fleas will run off my cat and dog when so I prefer to just bath them so the can't run.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

I am a veterinarian and will tell you what I advise my clients to do.

Poppy 42 gave you some very good advice. Please read his post closely for the why's about flea control especially. I don't like dealing with mail order companies for many reasons, but a lot of people get good results with their products.

Home remedies usually do not work well. Shampoos or baths of any kind will do a pretty good job of killing what fleas are on the dog, but when you rinse them off, they are gone. Nothing left to keep fleas off. Flea collars are worthless.

Our clients are very pleased with a topical product called Vectra. Each dose will get you about a month of protection. Kills fleas and ticks, repels fleas, ticks, mosquitoes, flies and other vermin. After you put the Vectra on you will see more fleas because they are sick and dying and getting out on the end of the hair trying to get away from the Vectra. However Vectra is only available through licensed veterinarians.

If your dog has fleas and is in the house, you have fleas in your house. To take care of those you can use flea bombs. Be sure you use one with an IGR (Insect Growth Regulator) the first time. You will need to repeat every two weeks for three treatments, but after the first treatment use cheaper bombs with only an adulticide. You do not need the IGR for these treatments. Be sure and follow label instructions closely. If you will vacuum prior to bombing as Rcmaveric said you will get a better kill for his stated reason. Be sure and throw the vacuum cleaner bag away after each use or your vacuum cleaner will keep re-infecting your house. However, I would advise against leaving a lit candle in the house while you are sleeping. The flea traps as described are good to tell you that you have fleas in your house but are not a very effective treatment. I you want to use one, just use a small lamp to draw the fleas to their death.

You will also need to treat the yard where the dog goes. That is best done with a product made by Bayer called Advanced. Be sure and check the ingredients and get the one with "Imeticlopride"(sp) in it. If it does not have that, it will not work. I suggest the hose end sprayer that dilutes as you spray. Be sure and spray about ten feet outside your fence as a buffer zone if possible. Pay special attention to the areas where the dog spends time like under his favorite bush or porch. Let it dry thoroughly before letting the dog into the yard. Once dry, it is safe. You can get this product at Home Depot, Lowes, Wal Mart and most feed stores in our area. You will need to repeat this treatment every two week for at least three treatments.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to win the war against fleas, but you can keep them beat down to a level that you can live with them.

Good luck in your flea war. If you have other questions I will do what I can to answer them, but legally it is very sticky for me to diagnose without actually seeing a patient.
    "Nothing is more uncommon than common sense." Benjamin Franklin

About the only totally natural flea control I know of is not easily given to someone else.

We live in a hot dry area and have the very fine moon dust once it gets dry in the mid/late spring, the moon dust is filled with volcanic ash and if looked at under a powerful magnifier it looks like tons of little shards of glass, it seems this cut/scrapes the waxy exoskeleton and lets them dry out and die, we have had no flea problems for years now. I hear you can get the same effect by sprinkling diatomaceous earth all around your yard and house, never tried it though.

Michael Grace
    +1 on PIF's

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepvet View Post
    I am a veterinarian and will tell you what I advise my clients to do.

Poppy 42 gave you some very good advice. Please read his post closely for the why's about flea control especially. I don't like dealing with mail order companies for many reasons, but a lot of people get good results with their products.

Home remedies usually do not work well. Shampoos or baths of any kind will do a pretty good job of killing what fleas are on the dog, but when you rinse them off, they are gone. Nothing left to keep fleas off. Flea collars are worthless.

Our clients are very pleased with a topical product called Vectra. Each dose will get you about a month of protection. Kills fleas and ticks, repels fleas, ticks, mosquitoes, flies and other vermin. After you put the Vectra on you will see more fleas because they are sick and dying and getting out on the end of the hair trying to get away from the Vectra. However Vectra is only available through licensed veterinarians.

If your dog has fleas and is in the house, you have fleas in your house. To take care of those you can use flea bombs. Be sure you use one with an IGR (Insect Growth Regulator) the first time. You will need to repeat every two weeks for three treatments, but after the first treatment use cheaper bombs with only an adulticide. You do not need the IGR for these treatments. Be sure and follow label instructions closely. If you will vacuum prior to bombing as Rcmaveric said you will get a better kill for his stated reason. Be sure and throw the vacuum cleaner bag away after each use or your vacuum cleaner will keep re-infecting your house. However, I would advise against leaving a lit candle in the house while you are sleeping. The flea traps as described are good to tell you that you have fleas in your house but are not a very effective treatment. I you want to use one, just use a small lamp to draw the fleas to their death.

You will also need to treat the yard where the dog goes. That is best done with a product made by Bayer called Advanced. Be sure and check the ingredients and get the one with "Imeticlopride"(sp) in it. If it does not have that, it will not work. I suggest the hose end sprayer that dilutes as you spray. Be sure and spray about ten feet outside your fence as a buffer zone if possible. Pay special attention to the areas where the dog spends time like under his favorite bush or porch. Let it dry thoroughly before letting the dog into the yard. Once dry, it is safe. You can get this product at Home Depot, Lowes, Wal Mart and most feed stores in our area. You will need to repeat this treatment every two week for at least three treatments.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to win the war against fleas, but you can keep them beat down to a level that you can live with them.

Good luck in your flea war. If you have other questions I will do what I can to answer them, but legally it is very sticky for me to diagnose without actually seeing a patient.
    Thank you so much for the kind words. I totally understand the dispensing of advice without seeing a patient. It is for that reason I am asking if could possibly answer a hypothetical question regarding a heartworm treatment via a pm. Understand I am in know way going to ask you to recommend anything. My question is regarding the possibility of an adverse effect of a relatively common ( at least common among people that have knowledge of livestock) heartworm prevention/treatment on a specific breed, namely collies. I just want to know why and how it effects that specific breed. If I seem a little cryptic it's because I don't want to mention any product or treatment because you are a vet and this is an open forum. If you can answer my question send me a pm. If you don't feel comfortable I perfectly understand. Like I said I just would like to know why it effects that breed.
    Thank you for choosing such an honorable profession.
    I've always said I like all dogs, it's people I'm not always fond of
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!