Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New reloading press advice

New reloading press advice

I've been using the Lee Challenger press for 16 years now and I'm going to replace it.
    I'm looking at the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme and the Lee Classic cast.
    Any opinions on either one?
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master

The RCBS rockchucker and equipment has been a staple for reloaders for many years and their customer service is really good also. It has plenty of leverage for almost all tasks. A good solid press. One thing I always do with a new press is to disassemble it and clean it up good ( there may be preservatives, grit and or other light crud in there), I usually use kerosene or a good water based parts solvent. clean the parts discard the solvent for fresh and wash down a second time in reverse order of first cleaning. Then lube and reassemble. In doing this the press is clean and starts out with the right lube and no grit in the moving parts. Then a 6 month or once a year repeat depending on useage. When mounted on the bench a plastic shopping bag over it keeps dust and dirt out.

It might be helped to know why you are replacing the press you have used for the last 14 years.

What is it you like/don't like about it and what do you want changed about it?

I have and use both for rifle cartridges from 204 Ruger to 45/70 including belted magnums. For me the Lee Classic Cast single stage is easier to use, more ergonomic and seems smoother to operate. Both produce the same quality/accurate ammunition. No real measurable run out difference either.

Lee made a mistake not having the spent primers go down the ram on the Classic Cast Breech Lock version like the Classic Cast Press version so that would be the decision which needs to be made between those two. The breech lock version is what I have and the missed primers are very few and far between.

Both the mentioned presses are bolted to my bench but the Lee Classic Cast Breech Lock gets the majority of the use. I only paid $110, delivered, for the RCBS Supreme a few years ago and $92, delivered, for the Lee when they came out so price difference was not great between then.

That is my 2 cents worth.

GD

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    It might be helped to know why you are replacing the press you have used for the last 14 years.

What is it you like/don't like about it and what do you want changed about it?
    It's the original cast aluminum Lee Classic and I noticed stress crack starting in the body of the press. I want to go to a cast iron unit.

Forster Co-ax would be my pick for cast iron single stage. However, if you are otherwise happy with the Lee, their "classic cast" is cast iron and less expensive.

http://leeprecision.com/classic-cast-press.html

That's what I was thinking. I didn't know if there was any particular advantage to using the RCBS.
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

I have owned both but own a Redding T7. Both are good presses but the T 7 is more flexible

I've used both the RCBS Supreme and the Lee CC, hands down the Lee is a much better press for the money. When RCBS introduced the Supreme I thought it had some improvements over the previous versions, I found that the Supreme primer catcher is pretty much useless, it seems to miss more than it catches, and trying to empty it is a mess in itself (also I'm not a fan of Chinese made castings). The Lee primer system is pretty much foolproof, I never lost a primer during de-priming. As for strength I believe they are about equal. If you're hell bent on a RCBS single stage, look for a clean earlier version, the RC model was a very good version, or if you can find one, the A2 series are simply the best (my choice for the "best press ever award")

I give a big plus to the T7 or the Co-Ax. I own both among other presses. I also have an older RCBS that lays in the dust under a counter. If you watch the sale forum here and elsewhere, you will find a press far better than what you are considering and save a bundle. Premium presses are under stressed and are seldom worn out unless abused. If you find a T7 for $175 or less or a Co-Ax for under $150. Use them for 10 years and get your money bach or make a profit on sale.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master

The Lee Classic Cast Turret would be my suggestion if you're loading rifle and pistol.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Banned

+ Whatever to the Classic Turret
    For $100 it cannot be beat

I'll third the turret press as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Boolit Master

+1 for the turret press. Unless you have a very, I mean a very picky rifle, the turret press is wonderful. Again I will give the warning, you are buying a starter set. Extra turrets, primer, powder measure, etc

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Skipper View Post
    I've been using the Lee Challenger press for 16 years now and I'm going to replace it.
    I'm looking at the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme and the Lee Classic cast.
    Any opinions on either one?
    I own two Antique presses. The Texan Loadmaster Model T - 7 hole Turret Press. I had an offer the first time I posted the picture for four times my cost. The Pacific Single Stage Reloading Press. I will keep both for a bit till I get use to using both. I might upgrade to a Dillon 650 or 550 later depending on many factors.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

I use my Lee Classic Cast turret press for 9mm, 38 special, 357mag, 45ACP, 223, 243, 308, and 30-06. The ammunition is good enough to shoot 1 inch groups at 200 yards with the rifles.
    I use it as a turret for the pistol and 223 cartridges. The others I pull the auto index rod and use it as a single stage.
    With extra turrets, you only set up the dies one time. It only takes a few seconds to change calibers.
    The primer catcher seldom misses a primer and is easy to empty or you can run the tube into a bucket and avoid having to empty it at all.
    I use the Safety Prime on press priming system. Once set up it just works. and you don't have to handle the cases or primers off the press.
    Resizing is as easy as any press I have used. The auto index really speeds up the pistol cartridge loading over a single stage press. The fact that you are finishing each cartridge before going to the next one during auto mode is a big safety plus for the press.
    I have loaded tens of thousands of cartridges on mine with no issues.

Cabela's has the Forester Coax on sale for $280 right now, if you are still leaning that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Boolit Man
    How are you going to prime? The Lee on press priming is a deal killer to me. I would buy the Rockchucker because I like their priming assembly waaaay better. No hoakey plastic either. If low costs is the only factor Lee wins.

How are you going to prime?
    I prime using the Lee hand primer

Thanks for all the info, guys. I just bought the Lee Classic Cast Turret press from Titan Reloading.

Boolit Buddy
    Skipper you made a wise choice. I also bought my classic cast turret from Titan and love it. I think you will be happy with it also. And Titan has the fastest shipping. I ordered on a Saturday afternoon and it was on my doorstep on Monday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast