Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load Data

Thread: 2400/45-70/trapdoors

2400/45-70/trapdoors

If anyone is willing to share loads using 2400 in their trapdoor, I would appreciate it.

I have the Lee 405 hollow based bullet as well as the 500 grain gvmnt boolit.

Thanks and I understand and expect all the standard disclaimers

Mark

Super Moderator

I don't have a 45-70, but I do have the Lyman #4 Cast Bullet Handbook. Unfortunately, there are no loads shown using 2400 powder. It appears as if 5744 is a solid performer in the 45-70, might try to find some of that.

Mark...In days gone by 20 - 23 grains of 2400 was a popular 400 - 500 grain bullet load for the Trapdoor. It is listed in earlier Lyman loading manuals.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Char-Gar got it right. One of my most accurate loads is a 405g bullet with 24.0 grains of 2400. Never used anything heavier since I have yet to even recover one of those bullets.....all pass throughs.

Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    Char-Gar got it right. One of my most accurate loads is a 405g bullet with 24.0 grains of 2400. Never used anything heavier since I have yet to even recover one of those bullets.....all pass throughs.
    I use 25 grains in my Ruger No. 3 with a 400 grain GC bullet. Accuracy is outstanding and like you say, the bullet just keeps on going. I don't understand why folks continue to want to soup up the 45-70 to power levels that mean nothing. The old black powder loads would shoot clean through a buffalo at 600 yards. What more is needed?

For the Trapdoor, I do think I would back down a few grains to start with.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Banned

I wanted to try some Unique loads in mine today. Had to dig out a very old Lyman manual from the '50s to find pistol powder data. They shot OK, no signs of pressure. I wonder why we don't see more pistol powder data.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I wanted to try some Unique loads in mine today. Had to dig out a very old Lyman manual from the '50s to find pistol powder data. They shot OK, no signs of pressure. I wonder why we don't see more pistol powder data.
    Simply because it's easy to double charge with these powders, and a few of them are position sensitive. Being position sensitive they don't ignite consistently. Most don't have that problem, but they can be easily double charged. I use a dipper and a trickle charger for all my 45-70 loads since they just aren't shot in high volume.

Banned

Well, the good news is that double charges are real easy to spot with that big ol' case mouth.

According to that old manual, you can reach ful trap door ballistics with Unique, which is fine with me. I'm wanting to use my .45-70 in our early antlerless season in October. From the stand I use and that time of the year, I should be able to get a close shot at an unalarmed deer. Maybe Unique will find it's way into that equation.

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    Mark...In days gone by 20 - 23 grains of 2400 was a popular 400 - 500 grain bullet load for the Trapdoor. It is listed in earlier Lyman loading manuals.
    Charles, once again I thank you. I'm looking to 2400 to replace my 4759.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Daiute View Post
    Charles, once again I thank you. I'm looking to 2400 to replace my 4759.
    2400 will do just fine in that job. I have a minty 1881 all original Trapdoor carbine I have had since 1991 and have never fired it. I am thinking I probably should. Good shooting...

In Remembrance

+1 on the 2400. My load (top end trapdoor load) is 25 grains under the Lee 405fngc boolit. From my twenty four inch barrel it averages 1450 fps with a sd of 9. Very accurate but as has already been noted, start low and work up. YMMV BTW I use no filler.
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    2400 will do just fine in that job. I have a minty 1881 all original Trapdoor carbine I have had since 1991 and have never fired it. I am thinking I probably should. Good shooting...
    I would love to see photos of this

Boolit Grand Master

I will tell you that 65gr GoexFFG compressed behind a 457125 is no picnic with that metal buttplate. I got a Past pad for the first time when I shot it. Full power BP loads are nothing to sneeze at.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    I will tell you that 65gr GoexFFG compressed behind a 457125 is no picnic with that metal buttplate. I got a Past pad for the first time when I shot it. Full power BP loads are nothing to sneeze at.
    The Govt 45/70/500 is a real power house. For the lighter carbine they dropped the bullet weight to 405, the powder charge to 55 grains and filled them empty space with two "juke" wads. Even so, this load in a carbine got the attention of the guy who pulled the trigger.

The Ruger No. 3 is lighter than the Trapdoor carbine and with powerhouse loads will turn you inside out.

Boolit Mold
    Here's about 1 1/2 cents worth if anyone can use it. This is in Marlin Cowboy. I couldn't get 2400 to work well for my Lee hollow base or Lyman 457643. However, SR4759 will stack them nicely. This is where the 2400 comes back in. I lost a lot of hair trying to get the Gould bullet to shoot to the same point of impact as the first two. 25 grains of 2400 shines brightly in this respect and shoots the Gould to the same point of impact as the mixed groups of the heavier loads. It's very convenient. BTW, this is at 100 yards with a good tang sight. And my goodness do they smack an animal. Someone will have to research if any of this info is safe in a trap door. My Lyman book doesn't list 2400 for the 45-70. Good luck with it.

Boolit Buddy

I shoot 45-70 in Trapdoor, Sharps, and a couple 1886's, I load most if not all my ammo Trapdoor safe. I use the same load my dad always used, 24 grains of 24000 with a 405.

I am getting into trapdoors. I don't want to assume but those using the 2400 are doing so WITHOUT dacron or other filler correct? If I recall correctly, 2400 is NOT position sensitive correct?
    Calling an illegal immigrant an "undocumented worker" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist."

I use NO fillers