Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scored a nice 1891 Argentine Mauser !

Boolit Master
    My alloy is 93/3.5/3.5 (nominal). My bullets fall out of the mold at 0.314". I don't think 0.314" will cut it on this one, but maybe.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DonMountain View Post
    I have two of these rifles also, one a long rifle and another one just like the shortened one in the advertisement you showed. I also have the same mold and was wondering if you would suggest to us how many grains of 4759 might produce the 1800 fps you had luck with?
    Don,

I'm overseas right now, so I don't have access to my data. I'll check when I get back.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    21.5 gr SR4759 with the 314299 is what you want.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Mold
    I have an Argentine made in 1896. The Prvi Partizan brass seems fine and their ammo shot OK too. Of course my eyes are less forgiving lately. As mentioned in other replies, besides casting for it, you can make the cases by using a trim die from RCBS. Part number is 14365 and its a "Group A" die. It's marked "Trim 7.65mm X 53 Belgium Mauser". Yes its marked Belgium for that version. I used some .25-06 cases I was given and had no other use for. You can use .30-06, .270.... whatever is in that same cartridge head family and length. The instructions are very clear and its easy. The Lyman 314299 shot well for me also. 18.5 grains of SR4759 averaged 1630 fps and got down to 1 5/8 inches at 100 yards. The 400 sight setting was dead on at 50 yards and hit 4 inches low at 100. Wheel weight boolits, water dropped and homemade lube. Good luck with it and enjoy it.
    Last edited by Pb4me; 08-19-2017 at 11:19 PM.

Banned
    The rifle arrived. As with all auctions, things may not be as stated. Only paid $160 for it TMD but has crack behind rear tang (easily fixed) but the bore is not VG as described. It's a tad rough and a bronze brush and JB didn't fix it. Looks like when my brass and dies arrives, fire lapping will be tried. Happily have 313 boolits and bullets. More to follow.

Every time a nice original or sportered 91 has shown up for me to buy- I didn't have the cash.
    Someday I'll get one because it and the 1871 are the only Mausers I've never tried.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Someone asked about cases for the 7.65x53. Forming the cases from .30-06 or 8x57 Mauser requires trimming and thinning the newly formed case neck. Forming them from 7x57 Mauser KINDA works, but expect lotsa split necks. Best brass to use is military 7.62x51 NATO brass. Yes, the neck will be short, but it will still be usable. And, if the brass starts to stretch, who cares? No need for trimming!
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

I also formed brass from military surplus 06, wasn't to bad a job but I did end up turning the necks with a RCBS neck turning tool. If I'd known back then I think I'd just run a reamer through instead. I haven't played with it much lately, mostly shot .311 Hornady's from it. I did purchase a Lee C312-185-1R mold but haven't cast any yet. Of course with brass available now, it would be a no brainer to just buy factory brass (correct headstamp).
    I did see the upper hand guards available on eBay, not sure how much.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12