Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
RepackboxWidenersPBcastcoMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 40-82 wcf help!

Boolit Master
    I think it is because Trail Boss is a relatively recent powder. It stands to reason you will find more information on Reloder 7 and 11, 4350 etc. I wouldn't anticipate much bore erosion with any of those, as long as you keep within the 1500ft./sec. range. It is trying for higher velocities with fast powder that is most harmful.

I just went to go shoot on my land. I Shot from quite a close range. Most of my loads were inaccurate, so i feel like my last hope is to use some wads under the bullet. Whenever I used TP wads for the smokeless powder it helped alot. I just ordered the .40 cal wads from Buffalo arms so il reload ammo whenever I get those.

Quote Originally Posted by Geobru View Post
    I am not sure why you are having issues with chambering the higher amounts of powder if the brass is unfired and the bullets are .406. IIRC, starline brass will only hold 72 grains of BP behind a 260 grain bullet. The only thing I can think of is that the bullets aren't able to seat as deeply in the casing as it should and the overall length is too long and the bullet is being pushed into the rifling when you try to chamber the round.

I have to turn the cases at the neck when I use .410 bullets because the outside diameter is larger than the throat of the chamber. The only part of the cartridge that is oversized is the neck where the bullet is seated. In my gun, that area of the case has to be turned down below .430. I turn it down using a Lee three jaw chuck and the spindle that Lee sells so you can use it in a drill. That costs around $20 plus the cost of a file to take off the excess metal.

You may want to consider buying cast bullets that are the correct size for your gun. Sounds like you need .409 bullets, not .406. Smokeless won't bump the bullet size to fill the barrel. BP is supposed to, but I don't have any experience with that, only with smokeless.

I have the original Ideal Reloading Tool made for 40-82 manufactured in 1884. And it cast .406 bullets. I was testing out some ammo , and I was able to fit 80grs of BP in the case. I had to compress in the press though. My best accuracy was from my 70grs load from a short distance.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev18 View Post
    I have the original Ideal Reloading Tool made for 40-82 manufactured in 1884. And it cast .406 bullets. I was testing out some ammo , and I was able to fit 80grs of BP in the case. I had to compress in the press though. My best accuracy was from my 70grs load from a short distance.
    I have a vintage 40-82 bullet mold and it casts bullets at .406 too, but a .406 cast bullet won't shoot accurately in a .408 barrel. Jacketed bullets in .406 seem to grip the rifling better than cast, but won't be very accurate. The old 86's are known for varying bore diameters from .406 to .409 that I am aware of. If you shoot smokeless, accuracy begins with a bullet that is the correct size for your gun.

The cartridges that Gad Custom Cartridges loaded for me had .406 bullets. The lead bullets were 260 grains and the jacketed were 220 grain. The jacketed shot a 4-5" group at 50 yards while the cast bullets keyholed at 50.
    Last edited by Geobru; 11-14-2017 at 12:14 AM. Reason: added a thought

I have a vintage 40-82 bullet mold and it casts bullets at .406 too, but a .406 cast bullet won't shoot accurately in a .408 barrel. Jacketed bullets in .406 seem to grip the rifling better than cast, but won't be very accurate. The old 86's are known for varying bore diameters from .406 to .409 that I am aware of. If you shoot smokeless, accuracy begins with a bullet that is the correct size for your gun.

The cartridges that Gad Custom Cartridges loaded for me had .406 bullets. The lead bullets were 260 grains and the jacketed were 220 grain. The jacketed shot a 4-5" group at 50 yards while the cast bullets keyholed at 50.
    Do you know somewhere that sells a .408 mold?

Maybe something along the lines of this bullet sized to .408" or even .410"?

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...b7rjbo0tjr7co3
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

I just wish my .406 would expand. I reloaded more of them. I put 19 gr of trailboss in 5 cartridges with a cotton make up pad gas check/ powder compressor ( Its not compressed just keeps it at the bottom. I think.) And I did the same with 70gr of FFg Goex. Except I compressed the powder this time.

Boolit Bub
    Here are some options:

This is a .411 265gr bullet designed for a 41 magnum. You can resize this to .409 or .410 for your bore.
    http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/bin/...let/sketch.jpg

NEI Hand tools
    http://www.neihandtools.com/catalog/index.html
    406-260-GC - This mold could be ordered oversize or bump up the size in a resizing die.
    410-260-GC - Resize to 409 or 410

If you want to just buy bullets, try these guys. He will size them to order. He has the NEI 406-260-GC advertised. I've bought bullets from him with good results. He sized the bullets that I bought to .410.
    https://bullshop.weebly.com/--40-cal...t-bullets.html

Or these guys might work out.
    Meister Bullets
    http://www.meisterbullets.com/AWSPro...65-260-GR-RNFP
    They sell a 40-65 bullet sized to .408. Might see if they will size them to .409, or as cast to get .409.
    Last edited by Geobru; 11-17-2017 at 04:55 AM.

Here are some options:

This is a .411 265gr bullet designed for a 41 magnum. You can resize this to .409 or .410 for your bore.
    http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/bin/...let/sketch.jpg

NEI Hand tools
    http://www.neihandtools.com/catalog/index.html
    406-260-GC - This mold could be ordered oversize or bump up the size in a resizing die.
    410-260-GC - Resize to 409 or 410

If you want to just buy bullets, try these guys. He will size them to order. He has the NEI 406-260-GC advertised. I've bought bullets from him with good results. He sized the bullets that I bought to .410.
    https://bullshop.weebly.com/--40-cal...t-bullets.html

Or these guys might work out.
    Meister Bullets
    http://www.meisterbullets.com/AWSPro...65-260-GR-RNFP
    They sell a 40-65 bullet sized to .408. Might see if they will size them to .409, or as cast to get .409.

Thanks for the info. How do I order from the NEI guys? There is a .410 260gr bullet that I can see.

Boolit Bub

I just beagled my mold. It casts bullets at .411 now so il see how it shoots next time i have the chance. I made so many ammo samples. Now il go and reload these bullets with 3031.

I found a solid load. 34.5 gr of 3031 and a beagled .406 mold! Shoots well!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev18 View Post
    I found a solid load. 34.5 gr of 3031 and a beagled .406 mold! Shoots well!
    Congrats!!
    Now go out there and shoot that old girl! Enjoy!

What did you do to "beagle" your mold?

Just added aluminium tape to it. Thats what everyone else did. The tape has .002 thickness so I just added two strips beside the bullet cavity. I might even add one more strip just on one side to assure that its big enough.
    In the end, it really made a huge difference. And Since im shooting 3031 I dont need to clean the rifle every ten seconds like with black powder
    I use Winchester large rifle primers, 3031, dacron for a filler, a .40 cal fiber wad and a cast lead, lubed bullet.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123