Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
PBcastcoRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: High polish on a S&W 629?

Banned

High polish on a S&W 629?

I'm thinking about sending in a S&W 629 to the custom shop for a high polish job on the standard Stainless Steel. Anyone ever done this?

Boolit Man
    Just be ready for the war on fingerprints! I did my Ruger Redhawk.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyfishermanMike View Post
    Just be ready for the war on fingerprints! I did my Ruger Redhawk.

always wipe down my SS guns with a clean rag with a little oil on it.

Boolit Master

Highly polished guns tend to pick up scratches, even the smallest will stick out to where it draws your attention. If you really have to have it, get it. Myself, I think bead blasted finish is the more practical finish for stainless steel.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Banned
    The bead finish is what is keeping me from buying a new competition 44 mag from the S&W custom shop. I hate the look of bead blasting period. If you knew me you would know that anything I own is treated with respect. I don't scratch things, throw them around or otherwise abuse them. If I owned good backstand with good polishing wheels I would polish the gun myself and have a finish that I know will be the best possible finish available. I guess if it gets scratched I will polish it.

Don't tell me to buy a Ruger Redhawk because I'm not a Ruger fan other than their bull barrel semi automatic 22's.

Boolit Master

I had some 1500 grit paste I used to polish a SS handgun, it took many hours to get it the way I wanted it and it looked beautiful!
    But, putting into a holster produced small scratches, even an Uncle Mikes holster. Stainless steel guns that come from the factory are covered with small scratches.
    I'm at a point in my life where practical out weights pretty.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

ADMIN

Bead blasting a ss gun will lower its resale value. Ask me how I know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Boolit Grand Master

Another issue with a high polished gun is the rub / burnish marks from holsters, cases, and gun mats show a lot more due to the difference in the finish. I have bead blasted and don't care for it a lot but do like a hand polished finish where the lines are all north and south ( along with the screw slots and heads finish) This is to me the finish I prefer and unlike the mirror polish its easier to produce and accomplish. I have done the high polish mirror finish on parts at work. It never fails about the time your almost done that a dull spot appears that isnt the same and your working it over to get it to blend in. We had to mirror finish grippers and other gage parts to reduce scratching on the parts.

Boolit Master
    I like the satin finish like on the older model 629's and 66's. With use minor marks seemed to blend well. The bead blasted factory finish seems to show scratches worse than the satin, at least on one's I've seen.

Some older satin models were polished afterwards, probably easier for the one polishing.,

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    I had some 1500 grit paste I used to polish a SS handgun, it took many hours to get it the way I wanted it and it looked beautiful!
    But, putting into a holster produced small scratches, even an Uncle Mikes holster. Stainless steel guns that come from the factory are covered with small scratches.
    I'm at a point in my life where practical out weights pretty.
    Well, its a target gun only. No holster, and no rough handling. Would like to have something once in my life that really stood out above and beyond. I can live with some small scratches or for that matter I could buff them out if needed.

Boolit Man
    Sounds like your mind's made up. Do it and post pics!

Boolit Master

[QUOTE] Well, its a target gun only. No holster, and no rough handling. Would like to have something once in my life that really stood out above and beyond. I can live with some small scratches or for that matter I could buff them out if needed. [/QUOTE

I hate polished pimp guns, Don't understand how a polished SS gun stands out above anything.
    But hey that's just M O.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Banned
    I'm white and I guess I want a pimp gun just for the hell of it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    I'm white and I guess I want a pimp gun just for the hell of it.
    I thought that is what nickle and pearl grips was for?

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    I'm thinking about sending in a S&W 629 to the custom shop for a high polish job on the standard Stainless Steel. Anyone ever done this?
    I might be wrong, but I thought you asked if anybody had done this. I like high polish and nickel myself, but that's is no issue. If YOU like it, do it. It is your gun after all. When you say the custom shop, do you mean S&W custom shop? Their work is really top notch.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    I might be wrong, but I thought you asked if anybody had done this. I like high polish and nickel myself, but that's is no issue. If YOU like it, do it. It is your gun after all. When you say the custom shop, do you mean S&W custom shop? Their work is really top notch.
    According to some of the members I must be black and a pimp to want a highly polished 629. Certainly not black and certainly not a pimp either. I just wanted polished 629. Is that so hard to believe or understand? Well, maybe for some members here with the Darwin award sitting on their shelf in their mobile home. Yes, I like nickle also but don't think it wears quite as good.

You're probably right about nickel as far as scratches and fingerprints are concerned but if you carry one in a holster a lot, blue finishes tend to wear on rub spots worse, IMO, than nickel. BUT...you say that you will probably only carry it to the range, so it's a moot point. Stainless does wear better, no doubt about that, but that's why they make different models. Attachment 202395
    I think that everyone of us has a safe queen/range only gun and one of mine is a nickel model 24 S&W that I mounted a scope on to find the most accurate load and then took it off. I had to look high and low to find a nickel 24.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Vendor Sponsor

Here's what it will look like when they get done with it.

This one came that way.

I highly recommend getting an X Frame Grip while it is being polished. The extra padding at the top of the back strap really helps the web of your hand survive shooting these guns.

Randy

Attachment 202701

Attachment 202702
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I've been using a metal polish on my 686 every time I cleaned it since 89 or so. It's got a high polish now.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823