WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rem. 722 in 300 Savage

I can't wait to see it. The grand old Savage round was the inspiration for the .308 for sure. I keep ammo, dies, & components for it because I know I'll get another! The 722 would be a catch. I 've had two Rem 81 Woodsmasters, a Savage 99, and I built a 98/22 Turk into a light sporter in it. It is a perfect deer cartridge and the short neck never mattered.
    Best, Thomas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I had a 722 in 300sav back in 60s. Gun shoot excellent but wood was victim of Folk Art. I sold it
    to a buddy and he ordered up a Mannlicher stock from the old Herters company. Was a nifty little
    rifle, his wife used it several years and killed her 1st deer with it. Personally don't have a lot of
    experience with 722/300sav. but plenty with 722s & 721s. I prefer them to 700 series. Also have
    shot a deer or three with 300sav/ m99 Sav. Not with cast, always shot 150 spire points. 300 sav
    one of the classic cals for woods hunting not to far behind 308 for ballistics.

What about J words? What do you guys like to shoot in 300 Savage with the copper monster?
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I believe the short neck being problematic in the .300 Savage is more theoretical than real, but I did buy a mold from NOE that looks very similar to the ranchdog bullet, but is apparently designed with a shorter shank for things like .300 Savage and 7.62x39. I'm ashamed to admit that I've had it a couple of years or more and have not yet cast with it, but I will. Being a die hard Savage 99 fan, I'll be loading the .300 Savage til I die.
    I shoot 220 gr cast boolits from my 358 Norma mag and they are below the neck and it shoots very accurately. Don't worry about the "below the neck" situation until you shoot it first.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

The old Hornady 150 gr spire point is perfect for the .300 Savage.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by waco View Post
    Can you tell me the mold you are referring to please?
    I'll have to look at it and get back to you, but it's a NOE mold.

As to jacketed, that Hornady standard 150 grain spitzer worked well in it as it seems to in just about every .30 caliber.

Banned

The bullet mold I mentioned was a group buy now that I think about it. This is the thread where it was discussed; http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ds-at-NOE-Now!

It might be a cataloged item now, not sure, but I signed up for it using the link in the thread.

I haven't shot cast in mine, but it will put 3 shots into a hole barely bigger than the bullet diameter.
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

Boolit Master
    I'm away from home and don't have access to notes, but I seem to recall H4895 as the most accurate powder for 150 grain jacketed bullets, followed closely by Varget. A 722 and 99 both shot such loads well.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    The old Hornady 150 gr spire point is perfect for the .300 Savage.

That's exactly what I used in my 722 in .300 Savage. I used 43g of 4064 for a velocity of 2701fps. That load put 7 shots into 1.2" at 100 yds.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Master
    IIRC the722 Rem in .300 Savage has a 1:12 twist. Mine would not shoot any jacketed bullet over 170g with accuracy. In fact bullets would key hole in the targets.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Grand Master
    I have owned two guns in 300 Savage
    a Model 99 Savage and a Thompson Center Contender (JDJ custom)
    killed 3 deer at once with the 99
    I found the cartridge a wonderful round very capable roughly in between the 30-30 and 308 win in the scheme of things
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Well I got the rifle! For some reason I can't post a pic here anymore. Tried the same way I've always uploaded pics from my IPhone.....
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12