MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rem. 722 in 300 Savage

Rem. 722 in 300 Savage

Just saw one at the LGS with a very nice, and wide, trigger. Full Mannlicher stock, Weaver K4 scope. Rifle had a jeweled bolt and handle. Pretty nice wood as well. Bore looked beautiful!

$225

I have zero experience with the 300 Savage. How does it do with cast? I know it has a pretty short neck.
    Your thoughts please.
    Waco
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master

Lots better after a rechamber to 308 Win

I had one but pulled the barrel and stuck on a factory skinny
    barrel in 22-250, what a shooter !!

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Buddy
    Noooooooooooooo, keep it at 300 Savage. Everything needed for deer w/o a lot of recoil. I'd grab that!
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Will it work well with cast? 1 1/2" at 100 yards?
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Boolit Grand Master
    Maybe, but that is not how I would bet. Those Mannlicher stocks can be problematic, and the short neck is not the best for cast.
    However, the 300 Savage is the perfect deer caliber. I'd buy that gun in a heart beat.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

Our semi-custom mould makers have designs for short necks, including ones for the 7.62x39. I also have one of these 722s in 300 Savage (and another in 257 Bob) and mine accepts a pretty long cast bullet seated out. At one time, I planned to ream the neck longer, so that the case length matched the 308, then use 308 cases sized in a 300 die, for a long neck round, a little longer than that on the 308, due to the 300s sharper shoulder. But, meh, moulds are easy to get for short necks now, so why bother.

Banned
    If the condition and workmanship are good BUY IT ! 300 Savage works fine with Boolits. The short neck myth is that ... a myth. Remember how when the 300 Win Mag appeared it was NG cause of short neck ? Funny how many dead guys the military has killed with rifles chambered for it. They must not believe myths w/o actually testing the product!

The 300 Savage was sooooo far ahead of its time it's amazing and still does exactly what it was designed to .... equal the 30-06 of its day with bullets 180 gr and lighter in a lever or light bolt action.

Waco, run, don't walk, to the gun store and buy that 300 savage! Or let us know where its at. I'd love a 722 in 300 sav.
    "Give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry ,March 23, 1775

I'm picking it up Thursday!

Ok we need pictures. Do you have dies?

Not yet no. I was looking at midway for dies and brass.

I may have a set if your interested. Gotta look them over first, bought them in a big lot of reloading stuff. Rcbs.

Nice!

Boolit Master
    I've had several .300 Savages over the years, including a 722. Your gun will likely shoot cast bullets quite accurately, though you will probably have to seat bullets with the bullet base below the neck if you use long and heavy bullets, roughly those of 180 grains or more. Depending on bullet design, some lighter bullets may also require deep seating. I've never found any disadvantage to this practice.

In Remembrance

My 722 in 300 Sav. has a real likening for Speer 165 gr. hot core bullets, a good in-between weight for `J` loads. It still wears the old 4X Weaver I put on it back in the late `50`s. One bad thing about it was every so often it would drop the fired case upon exiting the chamber. I had a Brownell`s Sako style extractor job done on it and problem solved. Yes! I would get that little girl in a heart beat!Robert

Boolit Master
    Sounds nice Waco, Looking forward to pics. You could prolly find a 722 takeoff stock for cast testing purposes, no worries on the Mannlicher stock that way.

Banned

The .300 Savage works fine with cast. My deer killing load in my Savage 99 was 28 grains of IMR 4895 and a tuft of Dacron behind a 311041. Worked fine.

I personally like the 721/722 series rifles better than the 700. My younger brother is a real fan and has a few. I worked one up for him in .300 while he was in Iraq last time and I was doing the geographic bachelor thing at Fort Leavenworth and had a lot of time on my hands in the evenings. I liked that rifle, though I only shot jacketed in it.

My 99EG and 1920 Savage rifles both shoot the ranchdog bullet well too.

I would most likely break my arm getting my money out if the rifle you described crossed my path for $225. I honestly don't see how you could go wrong.

Well I'm really looking forward to shooting it. I have the NOE SC311-165 RD mold and the Lee 312-155 as a place to start.

Banned

I believe the short neck being problematic in the .300 Savage is more theoretical than real, but I did buy a mold from NOE that looks very similar to the ranchdog bullet, but is apparently designed with a shorter shank for things like .300 Savage and 7.62x39. I'm ashamed to admit that I've had it a couple of years or more and have not yet cast with it, but I will. Being a die hard Savage 99 fan, I'll be loading the .300 Savage til I die.

Can you tell me the mold you are referring to please?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast