Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Wideners PBcastco
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Durabitlity and reliability, which handgun is the best?

Boolit Grand Master

Most of these don't machine their parts but a list of most of the different AR15 companies

http://www.deploymentessentials.com/...acturers-list/
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 08-31-2017 at 08:03 PM.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    If you decide on a revolver I would buy 2 .
    For example a 357 BH is a fine example of a tank . I'd buy 2 of the same 1 a convertible and 1 a straight 357 . Then shoot them both alternately until you have them wear slick and have the ideal grips etc . Then put the straight 357 on the nightstand and wear out the 9mm cylinder .

There are several "ACP" sister pistols to the magnum platforms in the same caliber .
    There is little to match the speed of a moon clip in speed loaders .
    Ive wanted a 45 Colts double action since not long after I bought the BlackHawk . Now there is a 45 Colts RedHawk that takes ACP in moon clips . That means that what you really have is a 45 Mag RedHawk with a 45 Colts/Schofield headspace lip . The down side is that they're $1100 ea and use a Ruger only ,only available from Ruger moon clip . The upside is that you could shoot 1000s of APC and GAP and place more wear on it with cleaning than shooting . It also takes the 38/357 combo to the next step of shooting 38 shorts for weekly proficiency in a manor of speaking .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

I said before that I probably already have the handguns I will end up with.
    I have 3 22lr semi autos, 2 357 mag revolvers, 3 38 special revolvers, 4 9mm semi autos, 1 9mm revolver, and 2 45acp 1911. All of these function very well and are accurate. All are quality handguns(by my standards).
    I won't even start on the rifles and shotguns.

Banned
    With your array of handguns why the thread? Other than getting the post count up it really has served no purpose in my opinion other than to list everyones favorite gun. As you stated you probably have the handgun you will end up with.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    With your array of handguns why the thread? Other than getting the post count up it really has served no purpose in my opinion other than to list everyones favorite gun. As you stated you probably have the handgun you will end up with.
    And yet you keep coming back to it. If you don't like it, quit reading and posting on it. Go start your own "worthy" thread. I found it to be entertaining reading everyone's choices and more importantly, why they chose them. Gets me thinking in different directions I normally wouldn't. Lighten up and move on. Damn.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    Not certain I want to buy a pistol that needs to be re-barrelled in order to shoot my cast reloads. I understand that many people have no issues with cast in their Glock handgun original barrels.
    If anyone were to have a problem with that, it would be me.
    Just for the record, I don't powdercoat or use Hitek coating. I tried them and it just didn't work out for me.
    I also find it interesting that, even though I said I couldn't shoot single action handguns well, people keep recommending them. I know they are overbuilt an in other people's hands are quite accurate. I just can't shoot them well.
    Due to arthritis, I am limited on the recoil I can handle. 357mag and 45ACP are currently my upper limits. To use either of these cartridges, I need a relatively heavy and full size firearm. This limits me to lower power cartridges and handguns with lower recoil. Even light weight pistols in these two cartridges are painful and difficult for me to shoot.
    I think it is boiling down to Smith & Wesson revolvers and/or 1911 pistols.
    I am not badmouthing other makes or styles of handguns. These appear to be the ones that will work for me.
    Thank you all for your input.
    Good choices, and kudos on an interesting and thought-provoking thread.
    I think a double action Ruger Six series or GP-100 is a more durable revolver than a S&W (and the Air Force agrees, btw) but an older S&W K-frame .38 is known to go 100,000 rounds of standard pressure loads before needing parts replacement. I certainly couldn't fault anyone for choosing a pinned Model 10 or 15 for your stated purpose. K frame .38s are some of my absolute favorites of all guns.

As I read through this thread, I got to see what people thought of many different guns that I have no experience with. I can't own them all or even try them all out thoroughly. This thread lets me get an idea of what I might want to try in the future.
    There has been a great deal of good information and solid opinions posted here. I love all that. Good data is always a good place to start an education on something new.
    I am not an expert on anything related to guns. I am an amateur who shoots a lot and has a good time doing so. I give advice sometimes on things I have experience with and know something about.
    Is my opinion any more valuable than anyone else's? Only to me more than likely.
    I expect I will be trying out a Glock in the near future. There are a couple of gun shops nearby with shooting ranges that rent Glock pistols. I'll have to see if they have something that may fit my hands.
    Listing everyone's favorite gun was as much a part of the reason for this thread as any other. There is usually a reason or several for a lot of people liking a particular model or brand of firearm.
    By including my general specifications as to what I would be looking for, I was able to point the discussion in a direction that suited my purpose. I consider it to be a success.
    Again, thank you all for posting your ideas. I now have several new ideas to follow and see how they turn out.
    If you have more ideas, please post them here. This has been a lot of fun for me and hopefully for others as well.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bisleyfan41 View Post
    And yet you keep coming back to it. If you don't like it, quit reading and posting on it. Go start your own "worthy" thread. I found it to be entertaining reading everyone's choices and more importantly, why they chose them. Gets me thinking in different directions I normally wouldn't. Lighten up and move on. Damn.
    Everyone here is entitled to their opinion. I expressed mine based on the 160+ posts on this thread most of which expressed everyones favorite handgun and in reality this thread really didn't solve any problems or serve as a basis for anyone trying to select a " best handgun or best rifle" in my opinion. I expressed an opinion which I assume I am allowed to. You have the right to read it, agree with it, disagree with it or what ever the heck you want just like me.

Banned

" I was able to point the discussion in a direction that suited my purpose. I consider it to be a success.
    Again, thank you all for posting your ideas. I now have several new ideas to follow and see how they turn out.
    If you have more ideas, please post them here. This has been a lot of fun for me and hopefully for others as well."

This is why the thread was successful. Complaining about the thread is pointless. I find this thread to be interesting. It ain't dead yet.

Banned

best gun posts are on here every month. Yes they get a little old for some but without this kind of "waste of bandwidth" posts most of these fourms would probably die. Without high post counts advertisers would go elsewhere and this fourm (which by the way is free for us because the owner makes money off of the advertisers) would dry up in two months and go away. I guess in the big picture id much rather see a new "what gun is best" post everyday then even one of those posts on the political forum where a few rednecks make all of us gun onwers look like Neanderthals
    Everyone here is entitled to their opinion. I expressed mine based on the 160+ posts on this thread most of which expressed everyones favorite handgun and in reality this thread really didn't solve any problems or serve as a basis for anyone trying to select a " best handgun or best rifle" in my opinion. I expressed an opinion which I assume I am allowed to. You have the right to read it, agree with it, disagree with it or what ever the heck you want just like me.

Banned

There may be some 'necks, but we hillbillies contribute to The Pit in our own special way as well.

Banned
    The point I'm trying to make that most cannot see is there is no winner. There is no comprehensive study to back up weather the 1911 is best or the Ruger Red Hawk is best or if Goofies cap gun outranks everything. Someone please come up with some studies, graphs, or other material to support at least one gun mentioned. Otherwise like I said there are just a bunch of pointless posts backed up with no proof what so ever. What this thread has come up with so far are a bunch of personal opinions with no facts no proof what so ever. Put a damn graph in it or something else to at least establish so type of percentage. Once that is done at least there will be something to point to what the favorite is and at least that would be a step forward in this thread.

There doesn't need to be a "winner". Each person who has posted has made a suggestion based on how they feel about it and their own experience. This is all valid data.
    If it would please you, I could go through the thread and make a graph of all the posted responses, but I personally see no real need to do so.
    I am not going to make a decision until after I evaluate the new ideas and options that have been presented in this thread. Even then, it probably won't be set in stone. People change and so do circumstances. New options become available on a regular basis.
    This whole thing is going to be a work in progress, quite possibly for years.
    As you said, no comprehensive study has been done on this outside of some military trials which had different prerequisites than I do. Even in the military trials, thing get chosen based on opinions and monetary/political reasons and not on which handgun may actually be best. Otherwise all police and military would be using the same weapons.
    To those of you reading this, please continue your posts and comments. I appreciate you all taking the time to help expand my knowledge of handguns. Many things have been presented that have given me food for thought. I may need to revise my own opinions on certain things due to the posts in this thread.
    Please keep the information coming.

As requested, I went through all the posts and listed the recommendations. I am lumping certain of the recommended guns together since they are the same style, just different calibers. The Glocks I put all together since so many different models were listed. Same with the S&W revolvers, 1911 pistols, and Ruger double action revolvers.
    As of post number 176 here are the recommendations.

Ruger Blackhawk/Super Blackhawk all calibers 17
    Glock all models 21
    S&W revolvers all frame sizes 26
    Colt SAA and clones 3 I possibly should have put these with the Ruger SA guns
    Ruger DA revolvers 18
    Sig 3
    Hi Point 1
    Ruger P95 1
    Bereta 92 3
    CZ 2
    1911 all calibers, all manufacturers 21

Interestingly, no S&W semi auto pistols were recommended.
    So far S&W revolvers lead with Glock, 1911 pistols, and Ruger single action revolvers following closely.
    Obviously, I already own some of these. I am going to be trying out some of the others to see if I might like them(Glock and certain of the Ruger SA guns). I question whether I gave the Ruger Blackhawk I owned a fair trial.

Boolit Master
    S&W revolvers for the win! I enjoyed the thread I don't ever really care about drift, it keeps things interesting.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    S&W revolvers for the win! I enjoyed the thread I don't ever really care about drift, it keeps things interesting.
    I agree. There is often a great deal of insight and information in a drift.

Banned
    Anything from manufacturers stating how many rounds they have shot thru their product? Example.. Does Glock have any info say ....they shot 100K rounds thru without any parts breakage? barrel replacement? small parts?

My point it its very easy to obtain a graph with owners voting for their favorite piece. Its harder to obtain hard data stating one can say expect to run 10K rounds thru their S&W 629 before for example the barrel needs replaced or its out of time or for example they got 25K thru the Red Hawk?

As informative as some may find this thread there is still no hard data to back anything up just a favorites list as contributed to by people contributing to this thread. The factory has to have data available on their products. This data should be able to be accessed in my opinion.

Forrest r posted this link back on page 3. https://www.ar15.com/forums/handguns...ons/4-160140/?
    It contains data reports from a shooting range that rents pistols to people shooting on the range and tracks repairs and breakage.
    There are several pages to dig through to get the data but it is worth the read. It contains the data that you are wanting on various pistols that the range rents. This is from actual usage. Not from a manufacturers possibly optimistic results. Very informative.
    Last edited by tazman; 09-08-2017 at 05:24 PM.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Anything from manufacturers stating how many rounds they have shot thru their product? Example.. Does Glock have any info say ....they shot 100K rounds thru without any parts breakage? barrel replacement? small parts?

My point it its very easy to obtain a graph with owners voting for their favorite piece. Its harder to obtain hard data stating one can say expect to run 10K rounds thru their S&W 629 before for example the barrel needs replaced or its out of time or for example they got 25K thru the Red Hawk?

As informative as some may find this thread there is still no hard data to back anything up just a favorites list as contributed to by people contributing to this thread. The factory has to have data available on their products. This data should be able to be accessed in my opinion.
    Hard data ?
    How exactly does the insane GI gun breaking slaughter house testing of the 1911 and 45 ACP of a 1910 prototype compare to a similar 2010 Les Behr or Kimber ? How would one even go about a comparison ?

The 1911 in all of it's cartridges and calibers has been a production staple for 106 yr .
    The K Frame Smith in the current model 25 or 625 or whatever other labels it's wearing shore as shooting ain't a triple lock or a 1950 target . I scarcely doubt that an off the rack 44 mag would make a blemish on the grip of a NIB model 29 .

I don't know the origin story of the M10 Smith but the 47' just barely not a Victory model isn't an M&P of 70s vintage .

Outside of the hammer block the BlackHawk is basically mechanically unchanged in 60yr of production .

We've seen the run em' till they blow Glock videos , but who can afford to run an HP until it melts ? The USMC kept the 1911 until just a couple of yr ago so it had over 100 yr in service .

Short of the Mil-Spec trials standard as a base line which I'm sure is catalogued some where how would you make a straight line comparison ? Ruger probably hasn't submitted a gun and certainly not an SA .

Sure we all have our favs . Some we choose for cartridge , some for weight , some for capacity , and some for cartridge interchangeablity some might even pick a pistol based on liking a cartridge in a carbine and magazine compatibility . There's almost certainly no way to measure that .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Banned
    I don't think it would be too hard to contact say S&W and ask for some data. Example .... number of rounds fired and so forth. If I wasn't still working full time I would gladly call them and obtain some data. Yes, I for one would trust S&W for their figures before I would trust some run of the mill repair shop located in someones garage or their data on their repairs. One should easily be able to obtain some hard figures/percentages of repair for specific defects.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast