Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
PBcastco MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Durabitlity and reliability, which handgun is the best?

I own and shoot both revolvers and semi-autos. I reload my own cast and so far have had excellent results with that.
    As far as caliber, I like to stick with common, easily obtained calibers. I currently load for 38 Special, 357 mag, 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP. My favorites are 38 Special, 9mm, and 45 ACP. I can't handle more powerful calibers due to arthritis in my wrists.
    My handguns include several 38/357 revolvers, several 9mm semi-autos(Beretta, Taurus, 1911), one 9mm revolver(S&W 929 wonderful gun), and a couple of 45 ACP 1911 handguns.
    My handguns tend to get a good workout every so often(mostly often) to maintain familiarity and proficiency plus I just enjoy using/shooting them. Any one gun won't see 5000 rounds a year but I shoot easily two to three times that much combined.
    The only revolver type I have never had any luck with is single action revolvers(Ruger Blackhawks and Colt SSA clones). For some reason I just can't shoot them at all well and I have tried several different ones.
    I probably already own the guns I will end up with.
    I wanted to see if I was missing a good bet somewhere that I should try out, particularly since I have no experience with any striker fired pistol of any brand.
    There is always something out there that I don't know about. The easiest way to find out is to ask.

Banned
    Quality handguns are probably a lot tougher than most people realize. Look at the sticky for the 75K+ rounds through a model 27.

Competition shooters easily put 10's of thousands of rounds through their revolvers and pistols each year. A Bullseye shooter that uses a model 14 for years or a PPC shooter that uses a 4" S&W model 66 for years are examples of simple solid guns. IDPA shooters put thousands of rounds through a stock service pistol. It's really not that high of a bar.

A stainless steel magnum revolver that was used with Special loads would have a huge margin of strength and be durable.
    Glocks have proven to be capable of years of abuse and still work. The Beretta 92 has shown be reliable over many years in bad conditions. People shoot 1911 pistols for decades.
    The bottom line is that a lot of handguns have proven to be capable of firing thousands of rounds a year for decades.
    I would avoid magnum rounds for long term use in any gun, there's just not much to be gained other than accelerated wear, even in strong guns.

Will a particular gun that's been reliable for 20 + years and thousands upon thousands of rounds fail at a critical moment ? It could but the odds are really low. However, the user of that gun will be intimately familiar with that gun and likely that will be a far greater factor in the outcome of that critical event that the gun itself.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 08-24-2017 at 07:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    However, the user of that gun will be intimately familiar with that gun and likely that will be a far greater factor in the outcome of that critical event that the gun itself.
    That's my plan right there.

Boolit Master

Been carrying this when hunting for 57 years. Shot a lot of small game with it. It has never failed to fire or experienced any other malfunctions.

Colt Frontier Buntline Scout.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	buntline.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	202587

Boolit Master
    Mine:
    Argentine Colt 45, the pistol was given a once over by Trapper Gun
    S&W Model 28 4" barrel, 586 with a 6" barrel. Fires everything u to 170 cast without a hitch.

Banned
    If I read thru the threads correctly you want the ability to defend if someone invades or comes to your home with ill in mind. This brings up the semi-automatic in my mind. My personal choice if I knew the offender number would be 3 or less would be a 1911. More than 3 means more rounds to expend if needed thus 9mm or 40 cal probably a Glock or something along this line. Having said this I keep a 9mm cheapy browning copy the CM9 Gen2 Sarsilmaz that I purchased from Classic Firearms. I have put probably 1K rounds thru it already with absolutely no problems. It feeds my pet load a 160gr rn and ejects them without a problem. Everything I feed it it runs thru. Its quite accurate also and I can easily make a 1-1.5" group at 25-30 yards. It holds I believe 17 rounds and its double/single action so the first trigger pull can be from hammer rest.

I keep either my Glock 23 with a 9mm barrel in it or the CM9 within reach in the kitchen if someone were to show up at my door without the best intentions.

Well, I have a problem with "long term" and poly/plastic's which all have an embrittlement problem given enough time. So I'll pass on a factory Glock but if you made one up with one of CNC metal frames it would be acceptable. Of course a 1911 would be a good choice. But in all instances you would want spare springs. Revolvers - Ruger coil springs beat flat springs and double action has many more parts to fail over a single action, so Blackhawk or Super Blackhawk or Virginia Dragoon would be my choices. Stainless steel construction preferred.

These should be able to be generational handguns, 1911's over a hundred years old have been shot without issue. You will find SAA's from Colt that are blackpowder era that still function even with flatsprings. You can choose shorter barrel models for concealment or long barrel models for more accuracy. If you can get a double action revolver (GP-100, etc) that you are confident to stay in time for 100K's rounds without gunsmithing - go for it.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master
    seems I never hang onto Ruger single actions very long
    even custom ones
    I do however have been able to hang onto a Sig 45 acp and a Smith model 29
    they have shown promise in accuracy that I didn't have to work hard to achieve
    or had to modify the existing platform to get
    longevity well we shall see
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Good luck with that white eagle
    - my S&W 29 shoots very well
    - but as I used it for several years as my sillywet gun I found out that it was more delicate than I thought
    - and I had to have it gunsmithed (parts battering) and then I toned my loads down some.
    - still going strong
    - I now have a Ruger Redhawk but no longer a desire to sillywet
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    I'm seeing quite a few folks choosing a Ruger Blackhawk, which was my choice as well. I prefer an old model because it has fewer parts; specifically it lacks the transfer bar that can break and put the gun out of commission. Almost never happens, but it can.
    In my original vote I said an old model .45 Blackhawk with spare cylinder for .45 ACP. Ruger Old Army cap and ball as a backup because it needs no cases.

I'm gonna change that to my old model .357 Blackhawk with spare 9mm cylinder, still with the ROA as backup. Reason being .38 Special, .357 Mag and 9mm brass are more common than the bigger cases, use less powder and lead, and if I need to I could pull down larger rounds to repurpose the powder and lead. I would save the LP primers to use with the ROA (yes it works once you remove the anvil). And .357 Mag cases make effective black powder loads too, if necessary. This is extreme EOTWAWKI reloading btw. Doesn't have to be societal breakdown either; it could just be something that dries up ammo availability for awhile. Perhaps permanently, next time.
    Try that with your Glock. It doesn't work. I know, because I did try it with my G21.

Boolit Master
    I agree with the .357-9mm . just add a conversion cylinder to the old army so it can use .45 .

Banned
    ONCE AGAIN - THE OP ISN'T PLANNING FOR SOME ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE !

Nor are we talking about some sort of dystopian future that looks like a Mad Max movie. We are NOT talking about some crazy "End of the world as we know it" scenario. We are NOT talking about some colossal breakdown of society in which firearms are rare and incredibly valuable. We are NOT talking about some remote place where parts, ammunition and components are impossible or nearly impossible to come by.

The OP is simply seeking advice about a handgun that can be used for years in practice that can be counted on to fire a few rounds in an emergency.

A gun that is durable enough to fire several hundred rounds per month and yet remain reliable enough to fire a FEW rounds on demand at any time. A gun that can be used for years and be reliable enough that the user can expect it to go bang when it needs to.

Nor are we talking about some sort of dystopian future that looks like a Mad Max movie. We are NOT talking about some crazy "End of the world as we know it" scenario. We are NOT talking about some colossal breakdown of society in which firearms are rare and incredibly valuable. We are NOT talking about some remote place where parts, ammunition and components are impossible or nearly impossible to come by.

The OP is simply seeking advice about a handgun that can be used for years in practice that can be counted on to fire a few rounds in an emergency.

A gun that is durable enough to fire several hundred rounds per month and yet remain reliable enough to fire a FEW rounds on demand at any time. A gun that can be used for years and be reliable enough that the user can expect it to go bang when it needs to.
    Exactly right

Boolit Master

Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 04-28-2020 at 10:31 AM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Quote Originally Posted by Three-Fifty-Seven View Post
    A question that hasn't been asked yet ...

Do you plan on carrying the gun with you everywhere you go?

If so ... you need to find/pick a gun your comfortable carrying ... some people think a gun over 16oz is too heavy ... other's think a gun under 32oz is too light ... !!!

If you do not plan to carry all the time ... do you plan for multiple guns stashed at different locations?
    I have a concealed carry gun already(model 60 S&W). The one this thread is about will usually be beside the bed, in the car(separate from concealed carry but falls under the same license), or as a critter defense pistol to be used against larger critters(coyotes, wild dogs, wild hogs, bobcats, cougars, and such) who decide they don't like me when I am hunting smaller game. Believe it or not, all of those critters reside in Illinois at or near where I hunt squirrels. The wild hogs are only a few miles away in the same county. All the others have been seen by me on the same farm where I hunt. The bobcats and cougar were there decades before the IDNR would admit they inhabited Illinois.
    I expect this gun to be fired for practice a lot. I intend to be very familiar with it so when it is needed, I don't have to think about the mechanics of using it. It will be just like an extension of my hand.
    I already have a couple of handguns tucked away around the house as well as a shotgun, but I may decide to upgrade them as opportunity and funds permit.
    Last edited by tazman; 08-25-2017 at 11:08 PM.

Boolit Master

Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 04-28-2020 at 10:30 AM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Quote Originally Posted by Three-Fifty-Seven View Post
    Since you already carry a revolver ... to keep things the same I'd suggest a slightly larger version, but same caliber ...

S&W makes the L frame sized 686 (6 shot) plus a "+" version that holds 7 rounds of 357 ... or a N frame 327 or 627 which holds 8 shots of 357 ... pick a barrel length ... longer will allow for more velocity ... and handle the heavier 170+ grain boolits better, less recoil, if that is what your looking for ... depending on the hog situation, and size ... some may say a 357 is not enough gun, I've never shot one, so don't know ... I would think a few 180's should easily do the job though, especially through a 5"+ barrel ...

Same caliber of ammo, same manual of arms ... while I tend to have Ruger's ... the cylinder release is different .... the Ruger you push in, the S&W you slide .... keep it all the same, would be my suggestion.
    That is a good point.
    The similarity between how the safeties work is one reason I picked up a Taurus PT92 to complement my 1911. The Beretta 92fs safety works backwards.

Boolit Master
    And the Beretta 92D or 96D are slick slides, no safety or decocker, "da revolver with a magazine" . Grip angle isdifferent but the rest is a good match for those of us who like DA revolvers.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master

Nobody said anything about zombie apocalypse. I specifically mentioned what we just came through: years of ammo and components being difficult to come by. Pretty hard to shoot 100,000 rounds through anything if ammo is hard to find and priced at a premium. And if everything's copacetic, who cares how long a plastic pistol lasts? Just buy another one when you need it.
    Or, tellya what: you talk about whatever you want to talk about, and don't worry about what I talk about. Wasn't talking to you anyway. We're all in this discussion, and nobody made you the boss of it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
    Nobody said anything about zombie apocalypse. I specifically mentioned what we just came through: years of ammo and components being difficult to come by. Pretty hard to shoot 100,000 rounds through anything if ammo is hard to find and priced at a premium. And if everything's copacetic, who cares how long a plastic pistol lasts? Just buy another one when you need it.
    Or, tellya what: you talk about whatever you want to talk about, and don't worry about what I talk about. Wasn't talking to you anyway. We're all in this discussion, and nobody made you the boss of it.
    Are you sure ?
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast