Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingPBcastcoRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Repackbox Wideners
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Durabitlity and reliability, which handgun is the best?

Boolit Master
    With Glocks expect to replace springs every 10k rounds or so.

Boolit Master
    all this talk almost makes me want to buy a glock just to see how many rounds it can take
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Grand Master
    In a SHTF scenario, only those that have ammo can keep their ammo. A guy with a lead
    pot and mould makes the ammo his gun likes. A guy with money stockpiles what his gun likes.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    all this talk almost makes me want to buy a glock just to see how many rounds it can take
    Can your bank account support the effort? The gun is the cheap part. While I own a Glock it's definitely not my favorite. Same for the 1911s I own. But in a true SHTF scenario where you don't have a choice either would be fine.

Banned
    I'd like to keep the "SHTF" scenario in perspective here. I don't think the OP is contemplating some bizarre dystopian future world like the one depicted in a Terminator movie.
    The situation described by the OP was a gun that is heavily used in practice for years that may be called upon to fire a few rounds in an emergency.

Finding a handgun that can survive tens of thousands of rounds and still remain reliable isn't that difficult. Some handguns have proven to be capable of firing huge numbers of rounds before failure. In this thread alone, evidence has been offered that N-frame and L-frame S&W revolvers have survived in excess of 100K rounds. Glocks have survived 100K+ rounds.
    There are a lot of quality firearms that will live for 10's of thousands of rounds and remain reliable. The OP gave a figure of 300-400 rounds per week. At 400 rounds/week and 52 weeks a year, than equals 20,800 rounds/year. It would take you 4.8 years to reach 100,000 rounds if you fired 400 rounds/week with NO time off. At 200 rounds per week it would take almost 10 years to reach the 100K mark.

Boolit Grand Master
    Agreed. Especially given the ammo needed to wear out the gun costs way more than the gun does.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    I don't own a Glock
    But maybe I should
    But based on the most recent posts in that real world thread,
    It may be time for a few 320s
    It appears they run real good
    I've been thinking the same way myself, in 45acp. So since we're like minded and you stated "it may be time for a few 320s" send me one so I can do a proper reliability and durability test.
    Last edited by Bzcraig; 08-15-2017 at 12:21 AM.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    All of this sounds like a good excuse to tell my wife I need duplicates of all the guns I own, 2 is 1, 1 is none after all. Rather have a working set of spare parts than a box.
    I like the way you are thinking here. Could you call up my wife and explain this idea to her please?
    I'm afraid of what would happen if I tried it myself. It might be weeks before I could make it to the range again.

Banned

Let's see
    I always by in twos

For sheer reliability and durability, no break in period, no maintenance Id say a police trade in glock 17 or 22.

Upon further thought, i'd add a Ruger p95 also.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 08-14-2017 at 10:42 PM.

Boolit Buddy

Handguns are intended to deal with a surprise threat, or - should you find yourself in a rapidly deteriorating situation - to create enough diversion to allow you to get the hell out of Dodge, before you get killed. Whatever you have at the time will suffice. They are not primary weapons, and are rarely fired in anger. A little pistol you always have with you is the ideal. HEY - just my armchair opinion!

I would go with a 92 Beretta. Dependable, tested and accurate. As a bonus it shoots lead.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

I just waded through all 14 pages of that durability report from a gun rental shooting range that was linked here a couple of pages ago. That was quite an article. Very informative.
    Thanks to Forrest r for posting it.
    As you might expect, I already own a couple of the handguns mentioned in this thread. I am not posting anything about what my own experience is because I want to hear opinions from everyone else.
    The responses have been great. lease keep them coming.

Banned
    I'm going to cheat here. I'm keeping all my guns when it hits the fan. I have 7) 1911's some that shoot everything you load in them and some that only shoot round nose. I have a 357 which is a 686-6 S&W. We have 380's two of them. We have 5) different 9mm's not counting my Glock 23 with a 9mm conversion barrel. 45LC 25-5 S&W, Desert Eagle 44 mag, S&W 629 and then we have the AR's in 5.56 and 300 black a number of both.

I have tons of wheel weight lead and a Ballisti-cast Mark IV fitted with Magma bullet molds. Also a few hundred thousand rounds of cast sized bullets in assorted diameters and weights. I have back up parts for ALL handguns and enough AR parts to last the next 25-30 years easily.

I'd say I have almost enough and probably could be in the top 25 here for SHIF guns ammunition and supplies.

Boolit Master
    I seen Gen 3 glock 22s police turnins for sell in Jax Fl for $279.
    Nice condition with steel night sites and 3 mags. Get a 9mm conversion barrel and some 9mm mags and you have 2 calibers covered with one gun.M G22 and G35 both have conversion barrels and are veriy reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    For sheer reliability and durability, no break in period, no maintenance Id say a police trade in glock 17 or 22.

Upon further thought, i'd add a Ruger p95 also.

Boolit Master
    I would not expect Glocks to last 100k rounds without a few minor spare parts.
    My Gen 3, G22 has had the guide rod broke, operator error. Trigger return spring broke at around 10 to 15k rounds. Trigger plunger safety spring gets weak. With by G21 gen 3 its been a tank except for a $3 trigger return spring at a little over 10K. My high round Gen4 G35 had a firing pin go dull and get misfire. No ideal on round count with this gun as it came from a fellow USPSA shooter that shoots a lot.

[QUOTE=Petrol & Powder;4125578] Glocks have survived 100K+ rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    I'm going to cheat here. I'm keeping all my guns when it hits the fan. I have 7) 1911's some that shoot everything you load in them and some that only shoot round nose. I have a 357 which is a 686-6 S&W. We have 380's two of them. We have 5) different 9mm's not counting my Glock 23 with a 9mm conversion barrel. 45LC 25-5 S&W, Desert Eagle 44 mag, S&W 629 and then we have the AR's in 5.56 and 300 black a number of both.

I have tons of wheel weight lead and a Ballisti-cast Mark IV fitted with Magma bullet molds. Also a few hundred thousand rounds of cast sized bullets in assorted diameters and weights. I have back up parts for ALL handguns and enough AR parts to last the next 25-30 years easily.

I'd say I have almost enough and probably could be in the top 25 here for SHIF guns ammunition and supplies.
    I like your supply situation. It's a good thing to be prepared. My only question is, if you have to move and can't take it all with you, what do you take?

Banned

id say out of the factory guns your not going to get any stouter then a redhawk of some kind. Semi autos? For the most part most of them are pretty darned well engineered. If held down and made to choose id probably say a 19 glock.

Boolit Master
    Good read here. I agree that you should not depend on your one copy of (insert preferred firearm) to stand up to 100000 rnds without some basic maintenance parts. In the industrial manufacturing world we call them "wear parts". There are no doubt some examples that do it but you will not see that on average. Also the gun will provide better performance if kept in spec.
    That said, pick the revolver , research the wear parts and failure modes and stock the needed parts. Don't forget the tiny pins that could be dropped into the black hole on disassembly! When I order a set of pins and springs for a citori I make sure I have an extra FP retaining pin. It doesn't wear, but it is small and can " evaporate" . Buck fifty to just pick up the extra and finish the job vs cussin and looking for the dang thing!
    Now you have the service parts ,learn to do the service! I never want to be at someone's mercy for servicing an important tool if it can be avoided.
    OK to answer the OP ops question, and I don't take it as SHTF , more constant usage with a long mean time between failure. I do this regularly as a clay target coach. Not unusual to shoot 150 rnds a day 5 to 6 days a week 8 to 10 months a year. 25000 rnds a year for years at a time we want a durable design with available service parts and a known track record.
    So,..For the revolver, Ruger Gp100 4inch stainless for me. Modular makes for easy service, built like a tank means little chance of total failure. 38/357 , over a century of history of use, but said. I bought mine in the mid 80s, still have it too, but my Favorite would be M10 Smith.
    Auto would probably be my 96D with the extra 9mm barrel and lock. Not because I love it but because it is relatively simple as autos go and being B92/M9 derivative there are tons of redily available service parts around. It will shoot 9 or 40, neither a favorite but one or the other can be expected to be available in a shortage like the last. Cz 75 would be my favorite but mines a very well used clone. Also these are both DAO, by preference kinda like a revolver
    Note how I avoided the Block/1911 firestorm
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master

SHTF time I want what my local PD runs, because well you know.......... they have stuff I might wish to borrow.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast