RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee Precision PBcastco
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Durabitlity and reliability, which handgun is the best?

Boolit Grand Master
    As far as maintenance goes, all I do is clean my 1911's. Somebody is misstating things immensely, and it ain't me. I used to shoot in the basement of the National Guard armory in Lincoln and the range beater 1911's ran and ran and ran. Parts were randomly mixed together when the guns were group cleaned in the parts washer.

Too many here hypothesize without foundation. Not one of those guns had anything but parts that dropped in without fitting. My suggestion is to ask about everyone's experience before you take the word of "experts." Too often these types have an agenda that distorts reality.

As here.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    "I know better."

Sure you do. Keep knowing better
    So the 1911 is doing 300,000 to 500,000 rounds
    Without a single part replacement
    That is the discussion
    Not how many times you can fix the gun
    Wake up you are dreaming.

Boolit Grand Master
    No gun runs to huge round counts without breaking some parts. The point is being able to distinguish the Koolaid drinkers with an agenda from those willing to state the facts of the matter.

So ask yourself.....what flavor is your Koolaid? Just what are you stating that isn't so?

Boolit Grand Master
    Jmort, how long have you been in the habit of quoting yourself and then telling yourself you are dreaming?

Your post 62 is getting bizarre. Perhaps you are getting too personally invested. Who threw the 300-500K numbers but you? Then you take issue with your own quote and your own made up numbers that I did not say? Is arguing with yourself something you commonly do?

The discussion is reliability and durability. Interpretation of that point is the prerogative of the poster.
    Last edited by 35remington; 08-14-2017 at 02:59 PM.

Banned

I just read the thread that was linked
    Glocks, no surprise best with 320s coming on strong
    Recent prduction Glocks not so good
    92s kick **** somewhat a surprise for me, but not really
    Sig 1911 standing tall
    This is based on a rental range with specific guns
    Read the entire 14 page thread and take it for what is worth.
    I say it is worth paying attention to the thread.
    Last edited by jmort; 08-14-2017 at 03:12 PM.

Banned

How about just getting here
    "The Glock gets used probably 10X as much as our Beretta M92's so it's not a fair to say the Beretta is more reliable (see below). We don't use aftermarket slides on our Glocks so I couldn't give you any info those because Glock will replace our cracked slides under warranty. Also, I don't meant to give the impression that breake slides all the time but it would be fair to say that they get at least 100,000 rounds before cracking. "

Boolit Grand Master
    Great. Good for you. I am happy you have an opinion. I get displeased when you try to make an argument about what you want it to be rather than what I actually said.

Next time you want to have an argument with yourself, keep me and the things I did not say out of it.

Boolit Buddy
    Ok, just a thought.
    In a real SHTF scenario, how long would ammo be available? How much ammo do you have for such an event? What about black powder rifle/Revolvers? With a limited supply of cartridges, would you really be in a "reloading " situation with powder, bullets, primers etc . . .
    Maybe a B.P. revolver with cartridge conversions in 45C. and 45 acp? This would allow you to fall back on the C&B cylinder/cylinders if/as needed.
    Of course you would have caps to consider but what would be easiest to stash/lug around? Lead, powder and Caps.
    Mike
    Last edited by 45 Dragoon; 08-14-2017 at 03:12 PM.

Banned

I don't own a Glock
    But maybe I should
    But based on the most recent posts in that real world thread,
    It may be time for a few 320s
    It appears they run real good

I am accountable for my actions....

Boolit Buddy
    BZimm, you'll get a concussion doing that!

Mike

Boolit Grand Master

Durabitlity and reliability, which handgun is the best?

The OP stated a SHTF scenario. In that case you may not have a room full of tools to fix broken parts in your gun. This is one of the reasons I "laughed" at the recommendation of a 1911. To work on a Glock you need one of these.

Beyond that you'll need a rear sight pusher and a front sight socket. And that's it. You don't need a lot to work on them. I'm not a Glock fan by any means. I'm a fan of their simplicity. Which in a SHTF scenario will pay off in spades.

No gun is going to run forever w/out breaking parts. I've seen more issues w/ 1911s in my short life than any other pistol. They can be picky when it comes to ammo selection. This is another plus for a Glock that will fire anything you put in it. They aren't the nicest looking or shooting guns but they are work horses. Same can be said for the Beretta 92s. But they require more tools to work on.

Of handguns I don't presently own I would pick a S&W m10 and a Ruger P90. Reliability & accuracy in spades.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    Laugh? The 1911 was designed for drop in parts for armorer service at the field level. Any hand fitting needed is minor and on most pistols is not needed. They go for a long time without breakage. Since that is my experience and that of others that recommended it, I will let others here be amused on their time, not mine.

I know better.
    my grandpap got a 1911 colt (or remington?) sometime in 1944. (he was one of the first to to get off on omaha beach). he took it thru the war and then home. i don't know how many rounds it took, but it is somewhere in the 10's of thousands. he kept it till he died, then my dad has it. he takes it out once a week and he goes thru 100 or more cartridges. i and my dad, have never seen the 1911 break or go to a gunsmith. for a 73 year old semi, that has never never seen a gunsmith, i find it incredible and i wish it comes to me.

Groo here
    If you are looking for the strongest,simplest gun, the ruger single action is it.
    Will you break parts, yes, but once the breakin is over [where you find the bad parts] the single action will run the longest with the least mantainance.
    I did NOT say the best CCW gun, or SHTF gun, or most powerful,or most accurate,or hicap,or fastest reloading/shooting.
    But the tuffest all around gun [ you could use it as a hammer if you HAD to]

Banned
    I'll try this again....... there is no best. Make sure you have plenty of back up parts for the pet of your choice. Stock up on ALL internals plus anything else you think you might need or better yet buy two of your pet and you will have enough parts to last a long time.

Boolit Grand Master
    In a SHTF scenario, good luck finding any spare parts you do not already have. Glocks included. The 1911 needs zero tools to disassemble save a screwdriver to remove the grips. Those are at least as common as a drift.

If your Glock breaks a locking block or sear you will not find a replacement at your looted Ace Hardware store.

What is amusing is people trying to make invalid points on subjects they are poorly informed on.

Boolit Master
    All of this sounds like a good excuse to tell my wife I need duplicates of all the guns I own, 2 is 1, 1 is none after all. Rather have a working set of spare parts than a box.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

I'm not badmouthing the 1911, it's a great gun and I've owned several and still own a Delta Elite. But they are notoriously finiky with ammo, IF I had a storehouse of ammo that my gun liked, no problem, but depending on what ammo I could find for one lying around or scrounge, it wouldn't be my first pick.
    That's just being honest from someone that does shoot one.
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    All of this sounds like a good excuse to tell my wife I need duplicates of all the guns I own, 2 is 1, 1 is none after all. Rather have a working set of spare parts than a box.
    Now you're getting it

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast