RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastcoReloading Everything
WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213

Thread: Durabitlity and reliability, which handgun is the best?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    That's why I don't bother w/ purple font. Even w/ the font it's lost on a lot of people. You could tell your post was full of sarcasm w/out the font.

Now the post itself. It's honestly NOT asking for to much. It's the never breaking part that's the tough one. Inexpensive is individual dependent. There are quite a few guns that meet your criteria IMO.

Never knew purple was for sarcasm. I just like giving Taz a hard time. Just kidding Taz.

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Never knew purple was for sarcasm. I just like giving Taz a hard time. Just kidding Taz.
    I was coming to that conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I really don't want much in a handgun. It just needs to be easy to operate, superbly accurate, durable enough to shoot 300 rounds a week for the rest of my life without any breakage, and function perfectly with any ammunition while clean or dirty. It also needs to be very inexpensive.
    Too bad I haven't found one yet.
    Sounds like you want a Beretta 92FS or the 92A1 Variant. Will shoot to three inches at 50 meters, loads and shoots anything you put in it and lasts forever with care.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Banned

ruger gp100 or sp101 in .357 mag - these are little tanks that take a lickin and keep on tickin. take yer pick for DA or SA. no jams, no issues, fast enuf speedloads.

Boolit Master
    This might sound strange, but if I could only pick one gun to carry around, I would have to say my Colt SAA would be my companion. It was the gun that got me into reloading, and although I only have a couple thousand rounds through it, I have never had a jam or malfunction and the timing is perfect. I held a well used first generation at the local GS, and it was almost as tight as my 2005 model.

I think there is something to be said for the old iron.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    None of the LEO models were recalled. Glock is the only firearm that has a real nice moniker:
    "Glock Kaboom"
    Sig has addressed the problem for those on the short bus.
    Glock Fan Boys are peeing their pants. Not perfection. Sorry. Go change your pants.
    Actually, ALL of the non-military P320 models - civilian AND LE alike - are being recalled for varying degrees of surgery, and to their credit, Sig seems to be taking steps to make that aspect of it right at least - AFTER the problem went viral on them. Meanwhile, on the military side, the debacle of their pistol being selected in spite of doing quite poorly in the minor fraction of the Army trial that was actually run to completion continues to play out. . . At this point, I'd be more inclined to buy pistols that WEREN'T submitted to U.S. Ordnance for testing, as the only way to gain consideration in that arena seems to be to outfit the gun with an MRE heater, automatic pup-tent erector, and a shave kit. The problem - putting an effective hole in the other guy - hasn't significantly changed in the last century . . .so why do we need to load a pistol up with "NEW"?

But all that aside, why even submit a complete Johnny-come-lately (and a scandal-ridden one at that) into a conversation such as this? If you like the P320, great; I hope the two of you will have many years of happiness together. But as of right now, the pistol has established zero credibility on the "Timex watch" scale. At the moment, its state feels a lot like the early M16, with unchromed bores, cartridges full of action-freezing ball powder, and no cleaning kits or instructions issued. A key pillar of this thread is ability to stand the test of time. While the M16/M4 was eventually debugged to do just that, why bring up the fledgling P320 in the company of designs that have been functioning for decades unless you have already personally run a long pickup bed full of ammo through yours? At least let the dough bake a few minutes before offering us a cookie.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Grand Master

Durabitlity and reliability, which handgun is the best? To me that has Ruger BH written all over it!
    Charter Member #148

Just for the record, I am NOT considering a SIG P320 at this time due to the recent problems they seem to have. That particular handgun can wait a while.
    It also seems that some of the gen4 Glock pistols are having slide breakage issues at 2-4k rounds. It doesn't seem to effect their function, but the slide is breaking nonetheless.
    At least Glock is standing behind their pistol and doing replacements on them as needed.

One of my tiger security six's 357 and 1911.

Personally I think the 320 situation is way overblown. First it doesn't affect the military guns as they have a different trigger group and second the pistol passes the SAMMI requirements for drop tests. It doesn't when hit at a 39 degree angle or was it 38 but pistols are not tested that way so who is to say how many other pistols would fail the same test. Most of this is issue is being bandied about by the Glock crowd who can.t get over the fact SIG won and Glock lost.

Having said all of that I really don't understand why they didn't just buy more M9 pistols to replace the worn out ones. It isn't like the US Army is going to march off to war with only a pistol. Just another way for governments to burn taxpayers money I guess. I can only imagine what our crowd will come up with to replace the Hi-Powers. Right now the Navy and our Special Forces are using SIG 226's and some Glocks.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

I own a Beretta 92fs. It feeds anything and accepts ammunition that will choke many 9mm pistols. Most 92/M9 pistols are not target grade accurate without some modifications. This isn't a problem because they weren't designed to be a target gun. They are more than accurate enough for a self defense/combat type handgun.
    By this time, just about all the weak points of the 92/M9 are fully understood and accounted for by maintenance scheduling. They are a fully acceptable weapon for their designed use.
    Change just for the sake of change make little to no sense. The Sig is a good enough gun but why change guns unless you will also change what it is capable of?

tazman we are on the same page there. You should know one of the criteria used when the 92FS/M9 was adopted by the US Army was the chosen pistol had to shoot 3" groups at 50 meters. The 92 passed this test. The P38 design for the barrel lock up allows for a fixed barrel which I believe leads to inherently better accuracy than the Browning tilt barrel lock up. From reading on line the US Army pistols are pretty much worn out after being in use as long as they have been. Too, one of the former armourers who maintains a website on Youtube mentioned in his assessment of the 92 that while he was in service he never saw springs ever replaced in the guns which might lead to premature wear on the frames.

I got to the 92 Series rather late in life but am quite impressed. I plan on using a 92A1 and a M9A1 Compact in IDPA next year. The gun makes me a better shooter than I am.

Take Care

Bob

I have seen articles on what is done to the 92/m9 to make it a match level performer. Sections of the frame rails get replaced with steel instead of alloy. The muzzle gets a bushing inside the slide to get a more repeatable starting point for the barrel. Match barrels are installed and hand fitted.
    After all this is done, the pistols will shoot bugholes in the right hands. The military has been doing this for their pistol teams for some time.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty Red View Post
    What parts on the Glock 17/19 have you seen needed replace on a set maintenance schedule and what parts have broken and caused downtime of the weapon the majority of the time?

Interesting it hear your response due to your lengthy use in the field with those weapons over the casual user's experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For .gov weapons systems (like the issued Glock 19) when they are serviced, the standard factory armorer protocol is followed and each pistol is inspected, and parts replaced as needed. Also during this time any factory updates are done, and documented. Periodically the entire site (like an embassy) will have all the RSAs, and every other spring replaced.

From my experience there are 2 things that break more often than most, and one is pretty much always user error. The first is the trigger return spring. The second is the guide rod. During re-assembly the person fails to seat it properly and when the slide is placed on the pistol, instead of noting the extra resistance, they force the slide on, chipping the end of the guide rod.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mackay Sagebrush View Post
    For .gov weapons systems (like the issued Glock 19) when they are serviced, the standard factory armorer protocol is followed and each pistol is inspected, and parts replaced as needed. Also during this time any factory updates are done, and documented. Periodically the entire site (like an embassy) will have all the RSAs, and every other spring replaced.

From my experience there are 2 things that break more often than most, and one is pretty much always user error. The first is the trigger return spring. The second is the guide rod. During re-assembly the person fails to seat it properly and when the slide is placed on the pistol, instead of noting the extra resistance, they force the slide on, chipping the end of the guide rod.
    Thank you.
    I was thinking it was just SOP since the government was involved. But good to hear it from the source.
    I appreciate the info!

Lefty

I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Mackay Sagebrush----- I am unfamiliar with the repair/replacement schedule the government uses for the Beretta M9 service pistol. Can you give me a little information on that?

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    Mackay Sagebrush----- I am unfamiliar with the repair/replacement schedule the government uses for the Beretta M9 service pistol. Can you give me a little information on that?
    Good question.

At 6.28 of this video speaks to the amount of attention the M9 Beretta got. He says he never saw a recoil spring replaced on the M9's. I guess they would if they actually broke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1e0fEFiQrs&t=29s

And here is an interesting discussion:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-mtgYhNl58

Take Care

Bob
    Last edited by robertbank; 09-18-2017 at 06:35 PM.

Thanks for posting those video links. There is good information in there.

Boolit Master

Mr GnG is a good source of info.

I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213