Load DataInline FabricationPBcastcoLee Precision
WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Durabitlity and reliability, which handgun is the best?

Boolit Master

6bg6ba???
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Man
    I have a background as both an end-user of a various weapons systems, as well as being cross trained as an armorer on a large assortment of weapons ranging from belt fed machine guns, to semi auto sniper systems (SR-25/M110) as well as the M24, to Glock, M203 grenade launchers, you name it. The .gov has sent me to various defense manufacturers to learn these systems inside and out, and I spent weeks at a time receiving a very in-depth education in the field.

I just noticed in the above pic that my hair did not have any grey in it. Amazing what a decade can do!

I only put that out there as a preface, so others will know my perspective and know it is not from what some member condescendingly called it a "Fanboy" thing.

The punchline is that, without question the handgun I would grab first would be a 9mm Glock. Either a G17, or G19 or even a G34. I have shot many tens of thousands of rounds through individual issued G19s and been extremely impressed with their reliability.

In fact at one location I was tasked with shutting down an embassy armory. We keep X amount of ammo on hand for issue, for training, for defense of the compound and for reserve. During the shutdown, to to the hostile nature of the location there was no way for us to get what was left of the ammo out, so I was tasked with getting rid of it. The problem is if I had it buried, the Hajis would just dig it up and use it against GIs and I was not going to let that happen. Long story short, I was having the teams shoot every single day that they were not out in Indian Country. I personally fired over 15,000 rounds through my issued G19 in a little over 3 months. I did not have a single malfunction in that entire time. That is a true testament to the design. Do Glocks break? Absolutely. I have repaired more than a few, but compared to other designed I have had to deal with, they are substantially easier to repair and to keep running. Plus anyone who can count to Potato and can read the directions in a Legos set can repair a Glock in the field, if the issue is a minor one, and they are properly trained.

On my own time I absolutely love fiddling with revolvers, especially N Frame .44s, but when it is time to quit playing and get to work, I grab a Glock and a Colt M4.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    6bg6ba???
    [QUOTE=My comments had to do with the Brownell's magazine as the follower is nonstandard.]QUOTE

The follower in the Brownells magazine is as purchased by myself at the Brownells store in Grinnell,Iowa

Banned
    Mackay thank you for your service to this great nation and thank you for your factual and unbiased opinions and facts.

Mackay Sagebrush Those numbers are interesting. Makes me want to try out a Glock even more than before.
    Currently thinking about trying the Glock 34. Anyone out there have any experience with this particular maodel?

Boolit Man
    I have north of 20K in mine. Great gun, very easy to shoot well. Very light recoil, and shot to shot split times are rather quick.

I am a long time 1911 fan and carried one for both work and play for years, before switching to the modern guns. One thing to consider is this:

For essentially the same weight I get 9 rounds of .45....

or

43 rounds of 9mm.

Vendor Sponsor

the Army bought $581 million dollars worth of P320's at $207 ea. Glock was at $270 each. They lost out on that contract. And the lowest bidder got it. The Sig gun is probably a decent gun, Sig doesn't generally make garbage. But they won't know for another 10 years if it was a prudent buy or not.

It was all about the cost and the decision to go to 9MM was all about cost as well. Anyone with a brain knows that .45's are a better man stopper than 9mm's but they do cost more, and so cost won out as the defining factor..

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    the Army bought $581 million dollars worth of P320's at $207 ea. Glock was at $270 each. They lost out on that contract. And the lowest bidder got it. The Sig gun is probably a decent gun, Sig doesn't generally make garbage. But they won't know for another 10 years if it was a prudent buy or not.

It was all about the cost and the decision to go to 9MM was all about cost as well. Anyone with a brain knows that .45's are a better man stopper than 9mm's but they do cost more, and so cost won out as the defining factor..

Randy
    As one that has owned a Sig 1911 Tac Pac I can tell you that I will never have another one. It shot great but the problem for me was the trigger pull that was extremely excessive. The problem is that Sig has extra stuff inside making it nearly impossible to make the trigger pull decent in their 1911. Having said that I do realize that those in the military don't need a 3lb or less trigger pull like I do but it does make one wonder if those extra parts wouldn't contribute to excessive trips to the armoror.

I believe and was told by a number of former military personal that the contributing factors in going to the 9mm were that the round needed to be a NATO round, you can carry more 9mm than 45's and if we ran low on ammo our NATO friends on the field could contribute needed ammunition.

The move to the Sig will be one that will bite our military in the asp but then again they don't seem to care too much because if it doesn't work out someone will cut a blank check and move on.

Boolit Master

Durabitlity and reliability, which handgun is the best?

Quote Originally Posted by Mackay Sagebrush View Post
    I have a background as both an end-user of a various weapons systems, as well as being cross trained as an armorer on a large assortment of weapons ranging from belt fed machine guns, to semi auto sniper systems (SR-25/M110) as well as the M24, to Glock, M203 grenade launchers, you name it. The .gov has sent me to various defense manufacturers to learn these systems inside and out, and I spent weeks at a time receiving a very in-depth education in the field.

Do Glocks break? Absolutely. I have repaired more than a few, but compared to other designed I have had to deal with, they are substantially easier to repair and to keep running. Plus anyone who can count to Potato and can read the directions in a Legos set can repair a Glock in the field, if the issue is a minor one, and they are properly trained.
    What parts on the Glock 17/19 have you seen needed replace on a set maintenance schedule and what parts have broken and caused downtime of the weapon the majority of the time?

Interesting it hear your response due to your lengthy use in the field with those weapons over the casual user's experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Lefty Red; 09-07-2017 at 01:40 PM.
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty Red View Post
    What parts on the Glock 17/19 have you seen needed replace on a set maintenance schedule and what parts have broken and caused downtime of the weapon the majority of the time?

I'll throw my two cents in.

In my model 23 I have replaced springs for normal wear. The firing pin spring seemed to get weak on me for one.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty Red View Post

Interesting it hear your response due to your lengthy use in the field with those weapons over the casual user's experience.

I'm intimately acquainted with the maintenance issues of the Gen 3 22 and 23 (.40). The ugly stuff on those seems to appear in the 2000-3000 round ballpark if you aren't swapping recoil springs. You might see the same issues on the 9mm's but MUCH farther along on the round count. The Gen 4's, which are sprung according to caliber seem to roughly double the figure, but I've not needed to change anything at all on those several years into them.

The impressive thing is, they will run (after a fashion) with an impressive number of broken parts in them:

Locking block pin: it provides a surface against which the slide stop spring gets its downward tension. If the pin breaks, and the left side falls out, the slide stop starts flopping and you get slide lock even if you're not out of ammo. Tap and rack gets you another shot, and holding the slide stop down with a thumb will run essentially as normal. NOTE: The new Gen 5 won't even have this pin anymore, and early indications are that Glock may not even bother making the G5 in .40.

Trigger pin: Only seen a tiny handful of those go. On my 22 (old when I got it secondhand), the trigger pull was AWFUL with the broken pin in place, but the gun functioned.

Trigger spring: Only seen one die. If you properly reset the trigger each shot instead of jerkily letting go like it burned you, you may never even notice it's broken. The trigger bars got redesigned several years ago to have the hooks of that spring bear on a rounded surface instead of a 90-degree corner, so life of that part (which I've never known to be a real issue) just got even longer.

If you're going to break a frame rail, I'll bet its the left rear one, and the gun will probably run just fine until you notice it's gone.

The model 22 seems to have something in it's firing dynamics geometry that causes the firing pin and firing pin safety to bang on each other to a point where you will eventually be able to push the firing pin past the safety, requiring replacement of the safety (cheap) firing pin (less so) or both. I say "requiring" because testing that's a function check, and failing that necessitates repair. It is, however, a safety that is redundant , what with the the trigger bar holding the firing pin back off a primer until the trigger is pulled. Yeah, i'd fix it if that were the issue, but if the Zombie Apocalypse was in full swing, I wouldn't lose any sleep over that particular concern.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

Thanks Bigslug.

I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

1909 Army is still running just fine.

I finally got some experience with a Glock handgun a couple of days ago. I mentioned this in another thread about how I had issues with the trigger due to a quirk of mine. This issue would most likely not be a problem for someone without my particular difficulty.
    The gun(Glock 34) handled well and functioned perfectly and when I was able to do my part(about 70% of the time) the pistol was accurate.
    Any problems I had with the gun were purely a personal issue and not any fault of the weapon itself. It does exactly what it was designed to do.
    I just happen to have a quirk that won't allow me to use that particular brand of firearm. At least without a lot of practice and probably some modifications.

Boolit Buddy

The nice things about Glocks are if you run out of ammo you are not so attached to it that you would think twice about beating the dickens out of something with it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BHill View Post
    The nice things about Glocks are if you run out of ammo you are not so attached to it that you would think twice about beating the dickens out of something with it.
    Like a Timex watch takes a licken and keeps on ticking

Now that is funny.
    It is also true.

Boolit Master
    How does everyone get ahold of these "cheap" glocks? Everyone I've seen in the store is 500+...or is that still considered a 'cheap gun' these days?
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Banned

It won't be long until the Glock drones will be in the same boat as the 1911 drones. So that should offend everybody.
    I am on the 320 bandwagon. That is the future.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    How does everyone get ahold of these "cheap" glocks? Everyone I've seen in the store is 500+...or is that still considered a 'cheap gun' these days?
    Blue label pricing.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast