WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxPBcastco
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Durabitlity and reliability, which handgun is the best?

Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    How does everyone get ahold of these "cheap" glocks? Everyone I've seen in the store is 500+...or is that still considered a 'cheap gun' these days?
    I am thinking police department trade in. When police departments purchase in quantity, they sell or trade in the old guns fairly cheap.

Tazman, you're probably correct.
    A retired Ky St Trooper came into bookstore yesterday and said he had just been(that morning) at a buying frenzy.
    Ky is evidently going back to 9mm(brand=G17?) and getting rid of current Glocks(G35&G27).
    Troopers were given first option to buy their personal weapon and then others(?) could buy what was left.
    Think he said a fellow retired trooper friend walked away with 3 Glocks at about $400 @ models(?).
    YMMV

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    It won't be long until the Glock drones will be in the same boat as the 1911 drones. So that should offend everybody.
    I am on the 320 bandwagon. That is the future.
    ☝️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I am thinking police department trade in. When police departments purchase in quantity, they sell or trade in the old guns fairly cheap.
    Unfortunately those used police Glocks usually go for around $375-400 retail

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    So I found out after I posted. Too many people looking at them I guess. No longer the really good deal they used to be.

S/W 66 or Colt 1911 my choice.

“A liberal’s paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only law enforcement has guns. And believe it or not, such a place does indeed already exist: It's called Prison."

--- Sheriff Joe Arpaio, Maricopa County, Arizona

Banned
    I'm going to let go of my Glock 35 so if you think you want to try it out get a hold of me and we can meet and go to the range.

Banned
    Be careful purchasing one of those because some of the triggers require additional effort over and beyond the general public trigger. My 23 came from New York and had roughly an 8lb-9lb trigger as tested.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    It won't be long until the Glock drones will be in the same boat as the 1911 drones. So that should offend everybody.
    I am on the 320 bandwagon. That is the future.
    It's probably a very good gun for astronauts. . .those discharges caused by dropping the gun aren't a problem when you don't have gravity to worry about. The recall need not apply to SWAT teams on the moon.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

I really don't want much in a handgun. It just needs to be easy to operate, superbly accurate, durable enough to shoot 300 rounds a week for the rest of my life without any breakage, and function perfectly with any ammunition while clean or dirty. It also needs to be very inexpensive.
    Too bad I haven't found one yet.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    How does everyone get ahold of these "cheap" glocks? Everyone I've seen in the store is 500+...or is that still considered a 'cheap gun' these days?
    I never said "cheap" just not so attached

Boolit Buddy

I really don't want much in a handgun. It just needs to be easy to operate, superbly accurate, durable enough to shoot 300 rounds a week for the rest of my life without any breakage, and function perfectly with any ammunition while clean or dirty. It also needs to be very inexpensive.
    Too bad I haven't found one yet.
    Glad you don't want anything to difficult.

Banned
    Unfortunately any gun will break. Asking for a specific gun that will last shooting 300 rounds a week for the rest of your life is well kind of a crazy thought. Everything breaks and just about the time you think you have something by the tail it turns and bites you in the asp. There is no perfect gun and I keep harping on that but unfortunately it isn't sinking in for some reason. Taz, everything breaks nothing runs like a Deere, and there is no Santa. Please get over it close your eyes pick something based on what YOU want and pray to the almighty that your pick will last the rest of your life and move on.

Unfortunately any gun will break. Asking for a specific gun that will last shooting 300 rounds a week for the rest of your life is well kind of a crazy thought. Everything breaks and just about the time you think you have something by the tail it turns and bites you in the asp. There is no perfect gun and I keep harping on that but unfortunately it isn't sinking in for some reason. Taz, everything breaks nothing runs like a Deere, and there is no Santa. Please get over it close your eyes pick something based on what YOU want and pray to the almighty that your pick will last the rest of your life and move on.
    I am aware of that. That is why the post was in purple font. It was sarcasm directed at myself.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    It's probably a very good gun for astronauts. . .those discharges caused by dropping the gun aren't a problem when you don't have gravity to worry about. The recall need not apply to SWAT teams on the moon.
    None of the LEO models were recalled. Glock is the only firearm that has a real nice moniker:
    "Glock Kaboom"
    Sig has addressed the problem for those on the short bus.
    Glock Fan Boys are peeing their pants. Not perfection. Sorry. Go change your pants.

Boolit Grand Master

Durabitlity and reliability, which handgun is the best?

I am aware of that. That is why the post was in purple font. It was sarcasm directed at myself.
    That's why I don't bother w/ purple font. Even w/ the font it's lost on a lot of people. You could tell your post was full of sarcasm w/out the font.

Now the post itself. It's honestly NOT asking for to much. It's the never breaking part that's the tough one. Inexpensive is individual dependent. There are quite a few guns that meet your criteria IMO.
    Last edited by dragon813gt; 09-11-2017 at 09:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    That's why I don't bother w/ purple font. Even w/ the font it's lost on a lot of people. You could tell your post was full of sarcasm w/out the font.

Now the post itself. It's honestly NOT asking for to much. It's the never breaking part that's the tough one. Inexpensive is individual dependent. There are quite a few guns that meet your criteria IMO.
    True. Very true. Particularly the last three sentences. I knew the not breaking part was an impossibility when I posted it.
    I already own several of the guns mentioned in the posts. As I said before, I probably already own the guns I will end up with. I was looking for opinions and experience that I may have missed out on.
    Due to advice in this thread I have tried out a Glock and may well try out other handguns. There is much good advice presented in this thread and I appreciate the time everyone took to post it.
    Last edited by tazman; 09-11-2017 at 09:22 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Sorry about that. I edited my post. I meant to say NOT asking for to much. I proofread it a few times and still missed the fact that NOT was missing from it. You aren't asking for much IMO.

That's ok. I edited my post to correct for your editing of your statement.(does that make sense?)

Boolit Master
    I'D vote for my 1982-model Ruger Police Service Six, or my 1989 Springfield Armory National Match 1911A1. Probably have 20,000 rounds through each one, not all of them the most moderate loads, but they both shoot well, and never fail to function (unless the ammo or shooter fails to do their respective parts).

I've run .357 Magnum reloads through the PS6 that probably would have rattled a new N-Frame S&W .357, but the darned thing just drill the rounds in wherever I Point it, and asked for more, when I'm done! The double-action trigger was very uneven when I first got it, but it has smoothed out very nicely. I'm GUESSING that the force needed to operate it double-action has decreased some, but no trigger work was ever done on it.

The 1911A1 NM has been a constant companion since 1989, and has never let me down even in the most critical of situations. The only gunsmithing it has ever had is silver-soldering the thumb-safety spring & plunger tube in place. If memory serves, this was after I had tried to exceed 1000 f/s with a 200gr. LSWC, using injudicious amounts of Alliant Unique, not using a shock-buffer. Given the battering involved, I consider the plunger tube MY failure, not the pistol's.

I have a Ruger RedHawk in .45 Colt, which is probably the strongest large-bore revolver I've ever owned. I bought it used, so I'm not sure what year it was made, nor what was run through it before I bought it. It's been eating a steady diet of 8.0/Unique/250 RNFP or 18.5/2400/250RNFP since I'VE owned it, and my shooting hand always wants to quit before the revolver does.

When I bought it, I thought it was close to the same size as the S&W M29, but it's noticeably bigger (and heavier) in every respect. Double-action pull is smooth, single-action let-off is not QUITE as crisp as I'd like, but it's easy to get used to. Of all my sidearms, it is the easiest one with which to hit 10" gongs at 100 yards. Even with the lighter loads, it makes gong-shooting so easy, it's darned-near boring. I've been very fortunate with the reliability of all 3 weapons.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast